Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Jul 2017, 19:53

Post subject: Help me play Progressive Games!
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 12:27 
Learning the difference - can and may

I am currently playing CS mistress with a group of boys on a ski trip. They are Years 9-11 and we are having a great time but need to plan some evening entertainment. I want to suggest progressive games although I might brand it Winter Olympics. Anyone done it with teenagers? Did they go for it?

So I need ideas! The staff in our hotel are really helpful and I'm sure would supply bits and bobs if I asked nicely, but otherwise we don't have special equipment.

My thoughts so far.
How many chickpeas can you transfer with a straw from cup to cup in a minute?
Anagrams
Eating biscuits off a string.

There must be a list of what they did in the books somewhere.

Help me please!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Help me play Progressive Games!
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 13:09 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

When we had the Tentenary Gather a few years back, I remember that we had throwing metal paper clips into a disposable cup, and words ending in 'cate', among others. ISTR that somewhere in the books they had getting up from prone on the floor without using your hands, too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 13:23 

I like the getting up! Things that are mildly physical and a bit silly are always good.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 13:57 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Bobbing for apples; cork race - two players with straws face each other over a bowl of water. A cork is placed in the centre and each player tries to blow the cork across the water to the opponent's side of the water. Both can get very messy !

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 14:09 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

I'm not sure whether these are in the books or not, but...

1. How about building a house of cards - winner being the one with the most cards in their house, or whoever gets highest.
2. Write a set list of things beginning with a certain letter e.g. Country, river, town, boy's name, girl's name, food, character from a book or film, school subject, member of staff from their school, etc. Either the winner is the one with most, or you can disallow any duplicates across the group, and then count up for the winner, so there's an incentive for originality.
3. If you can obtain some dried pasta with holes through it, e.g. macaroni, and some string you can have a threading challenge; it's much more fun if the pasta is twisty rather than straight, though.
4. Kim's game.
5. If you could get hold of a magnet with the paperclips, could you see who can make the longest chain attached to the magnet?

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 11:47 
Scolding a Middle for slang
Scolding a Middle for slang

Thinking back to games we used to play at Christmas family get-togethers, when I was a child I came up with a couple of ideas.

1 If you have access to balloons, form two lines (can be more, depending on how many boys are in the group. Tuck the balloon under the first person's chin. The team has to pass the balloon down the line without dropping it and without using hands. If you drop it, it goes back to the first in the line. Last person in the line goes to the front and carry on until everyone has had a turn at the front. First team to finish wins.
2. Parson's Cat - Sit in a circle. First person says 'the Parson's cat is (eg) an amazing cat'. Each person in the circle has to come up with an adjective starting with the letter a. Carry on through the alphabet. Could be done in smaller groups if lots of boys.

Edited because I typed this in a hurry yesterday and on rereading it, I realised there was a missing apostrophe! :lol:

Last edited by cal562301 on 14 Feb 2017, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 14:30 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

1. Another balloon relay. form teams of 4-6 depending on numbers. The baloon is passed over the head f the first and through the legs of the second and so on until it reaches the end. Last person runs to the front and repeats the process. When everyone has had a turn then the team sits down -this helps you spot the winning team.
2. Charades/Give us a clue
3. A version of Would I lie to you worked well with the Brownies. Three people were each given a piece of paper. Two said true and one said lie. They each stated a fact and we had to guess which fact was not true by asking questions

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Jul 2017, 19:53