Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 23:43

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yet more whinges!!
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017, 11:51 
Playing end of term games

Good luck with the appointment, cal - let us know how you get on!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017, 13:55 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Hope it goes well, Carol!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 10:59 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I have just spent 3/4 hour on the phone to a well-known financial company, speaking to three different people and being put on hold so many times that I lost count, asking them to explain the meaning of a very badly-worded paragraph in a letter which they sent me :banghead:. None of them knew. They will try to send me a letter about it, which may take a fortnight! Also, if I hear "We will send a letter to yourself" or "We will try to resolve this for yourself", or anything else involving the use of "yourself" instead of "you", just once more today, I am going to wallop someone!

:banghead:

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 12:43 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

Update on my ears.

As of lunchtime yesterday, my hearing has improved. I reckon it's now about 50% of normal. So it looks like these drops are working.

I hope it will improve some more before Monday, but I will go ahead and have them syringed regardless.

ETA Thanks for the sympathy.

Alison, I hate that use of 'yourself' or 'myself' when it should be 'you' or 'me' as well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 17:17 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Glad the drops seem to be helping, Carol! Hopefully the syringing will help too!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 10:17 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Thank you, Vauxhall!!!

Just drove my car to the garage because an orange light came to life on the dashboard on my drive home from work last night. I have no idea what it means, so drove into Beford this morning and the earliest they can look at it is next Wednesday. I kept asking what if I was damaging the car by continuing to drive and they said they wouldn't know what was wrong until they look at the engine.

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 10:33 

Mine had an orange light last week, so I took it to the garage and apparently it was a leaking tyre valve, so they replaced the valve but only with a generic one, because they didn't have a Renault one in stock, so I've got to go back next week for a Renault one. I had to wait several days for "appointments" both times. Garages seem to be really busy at the moment. Probably due to the state of the roads, with all these potholes everywhere.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2017, 00:36 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

I'm finally getting around to turning some of my many cassettes into CDs only to discover the player I'm using must have a loose wire somewhere as more often than not I'm only getting sound out of one speaker. I'd recorded several tapes before I realised as, once I'd set it up, I was pottering on elsewhere and nowhere near the speakers. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it works properly and when it doesn't.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2017, 09:00 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Spring is springing.........lovely. Hay fever not so lovely.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 18:02 
Annoying your friends
Annoying your friends

SLOC decided he'd top up my car yesterday, as we're using it to visit friends further south on Sunday. Alas, the poor man had poured in about 7 litres, when it dawned on him he was using petrol, not diesel! Shock horror! Even more shock horror when he moved it out of the way of the pumps and contacted the AA, to be told the cost of extracting it and cleaning the tank would be £199. :shock: He was not a happy bunny! A vey expensive top up!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 21:46 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Hugs to everyone who needs them! Mary :shock: ! Sorry to hear that! Why on earth do people think it's appropriate to have calls on speaker phone? (I know it's necessary in some circumstances, such as conference calls...) In my case, I'm at home, I do not want to hear your conversation and I'm actually trying to do my own thing this evening. Minor rant but bah!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 04:38 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Our poor dog is in a bit of state with a nasty rash all over his belly and around his mouth and goodness knows where. Seems it might be a reaction to the antibiotics he's just had because he scratched a sore spot on his face because he had a bit of rash...hoping the injections he had this morning will work but not much improvement so far. It's very hot here at the moment too, and he has licked knots into all the fur on his belly but doesn't want me to cut them off. Poor thing!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 09:26 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Good news - took the car in to be checked yesterday to be told there's nothing wrong with it and they didn't charge me for looking.

Bad news - the orange light is back on this morning, just as I was very nearly at work. I had the windows down to check if there were any noises - nothing. It's driving OK. After a natter with the doctor at work, he was wondering whether it's come on to indicate it's ready for a service (which is booked for 8 April).

ETA I've now knackered my computer. An engineer is coming on Saturday. It's hell being without a computer at home.

ETA just googled vauxhall corsa dashboard lights: it's to do with emission control. If I can get it through to 8 April without it flashing yellow, I might chance it. Why they didn't pick it up yesterday is beyond me, it was a vauxhall garage I took it to.!! :dontknow: :dontknow

Yet another ETA. Just spoken to a very nice man at Vauxhall Bedford and we've decided I'll monitor the situation for the moment, keeping fingers crossed that the car will make it to 8 April. I said about it being the emission and he said he very much doubted it, the light that came on could mean anything.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 11:36 

Paws crossed for an improvement to your dog's health, Joanne!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 11:48 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Best wishes from me too Joanne....

Liz, it could just as well be a faulty light. I have one on my dashboard, thorough investigation has revealed nothing wrong at all, but the light continues to come on intermittently and has done for the past two years.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 02:58 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Thank you Noreen and Cestina, I'm taking him to the vet again today as he doesn't seem any better. Good thing we have insurance for him so hopefully we'll get some of the cost back.

Hope you get your car sorted soon, Liz. One of ours has just failed its warrant of fitness (MOT) but fortunately we have others. I'm now having to use my son's car to transport the dog around in until repairs are done.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 08:34 

Mine had a nasty light on the dashboard the other week, and it turned out to be a leaking tyre valve - they just had to take the valve out and put a new one in. Car computers are so sensitive these days that they come up with flashing lights very easily, and panic you, but hopefully it'll be something that be sorted quickly and easily. Good luck!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 14:02 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Annied, just a thought, but are you sure all your ancient cassette tapes were recorded from stereo originals? If any of the original inputs were mono that could account for the one channel only output.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 01:13 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Jane wrote:
Annied, just a thought, but are you sure all your ancient cassette tapes were recorded from stereo originals? If any of the original inputs were mono that could account for the one channel only output.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no, that's not it. It seems to have something to do with temperature as I've now discovered, quite by chance, that if I leave the combi unit switched on for a couple of hours before I start using it, I seem to get sound from both speakers. It also occurred to me that if I hooked up my old Technics cassette deck, I'd get much better quality recordings than by using the cassette deck in the combi unit. So now I have a cassette deck plugged into the combi unit, which in turn is linked to my good speakers and I'm getting much better results, even if I do have a binful of rejected CDs. If I could just get the record player to play at the right speed, I'd be firing on all cylinders.

This past few days I've been having a whale of a time resurrecting old tapes. My taste in music is quite varied, so I've been changing from one genre to another. About the only thing the recordings have in common is that I can't keep still to any of them. "Showboat" had me dancing round the room, I was chopping onions in time to opera, ironing in time to Rod McKuen and a German singer/songwriter and tap dancing to pop music. Luckily neither my house here nor the flat in Germany are overlooked!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 11:51 
Lost!
Lost!

Joanne, hope your dog is ok.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 23:43