Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 26 Jun 2017, 14:52

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yet more whinges!!
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 11:55 
Putting up a good show
Putting up a good show

cestina wrote:
I suspect you shouldn't have been able to do that even then Cal. I have spent the past 18 years in the Czech Republic, six months at a time. As a pensioner I can be out of the UK for six months, but no longer, without losing my right to NHS treatment.

Non-pensioners are only allowed 3 months. This is despite being UK tax resident, drawing a UK pension, and having my permanent abode in the UK. I have always been very careful to keep within those limits though until fairly recently I am not at all sure there was any way that they were checking, other than asking me every so often.

What always annoyed me was that they would not commit themselves on whether you counted within a tax year or a calendar year.

As far as I remember, these rules have been in existence since I started to live over there, so for at least 18 years, if not more.

You were probably quite lucky!

I have a vague memory of there having been some rule about residence for at least 6 months in your first 5 years prior to going overseas. But I might be totally wrong. I know some friends, whose children were not born in the UK, did not qualify, but I think the parents did.

However, I'm very grateful that I was granted this, for whatever reason. Even if it was only because my doctor knew I was working for a charity.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 19:52 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Fair warning: this is a real whingy-whinge. I am just so tired. On Tuesday I went to my sister's in York to help her finish off their packing; they moved on Wednesday. Had planned to have a couple of days of doing absolutely nothing after that because big fatigue issues blah blah. Anyway, but on Wednesday my mum came down with some fluey type thing and has been in bed ever since - she managed to come downstairs to eat her dinner today but was flattened afterwards. So I have been doing all the cooking and washing up etc, as well as getting stuff ready for my sister's friend who is coming tomorrow afternoon and staying a couple of nights... and the likelihood is I will have to continue the same way for at least a couple more days and I am just so so so so so tired. I hate this and I just want to be better. I want to be able to work and live independently.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 20:41 
Swept off by Matey to pack

Hugs, Abbey. That's tough.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 20:46 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Hugs from me too!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 21:35 
Attending a prees' meeting

Thinking of you Abbey - none of us can do it all, so please accept this bunch of e-flowers of your choice. xx

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 19:41 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Thank you, you three. She is still ill. I am so tired. So so tired.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 20:13 

Hugs from me Abbey xx

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 20:46 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Hugs from me too. Why does everything always have to happen at once?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 10:02 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

Many Hugs, Abbey - Pelion piled on Ossa indeed!

On another tack, I can't seem to get into LGM - anyone else having problems?

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 20:38 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Will be so glad when the French election is decided. So many friends are divided - no-one wants Le Pen but still they argue about how best to oppose. Will be glad when I go to the café on a Saturday morning and we can just relax and talk about nothing very much. It's not that I am not interested in politics but this election has been the most divisive I have ever known.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 16:49 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Our local elections are over. We have a LibDem County Councillor, and it would seem a Conservative Mayor for Cambs. and Peterborough.

Abbey, I'm very, very tired too. My eyelids are drooping by 4:30 pm, I'm yawning by 7:30 in the evening, yet I don't get a whole night's sleep when I go to bed.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 17:24 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

We've ended up Tory; it's not a surprise but is a bit depressing.

I'm sorry you're so tired too Jennie. It's rotten. I'm lucky that sleeping well is one thing I am managing at the moment! You've probably already done this, but might it be worth getting a blood test? I'm pretty sure that taking vitamin D supplements has improved my sleep (well, I say I'm 'pretty sure'; it's the only thing that I've identified that has changed in the appropriate time frame!). In any case, much sympathy!

My energy levels are gradually improving now... after coming back from Liverpool on Saturday my mum is much better so I've been able to have Actual Rest which is a tremendous relief. I am now capable of small amounts of cogitation...

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 07:18 

"There has been a scanning error."

This is apparently customer service speak for "Our incompetent drivers have lost your parcel".

All right, they're sending a replacement, and it's nothing I can't live without for another few days, but just say that they've lost it! Another one I've had in the past is "There has been a failed order". They make it sound as if it happened by itself!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 08:37 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Alison H wrote:
"There has been a scanning error."

This is apparently customer service speak for "Our incompetent drivers have lost your parcel".

All right, they're sending a replacement, and it's nothing I can't live without for another few days, but just say that they've lost it! Another one I've had in the past is "There has been a failed order". They make it sound as if it happened by itself!

My sympathies. A delivery yesterday said though they tried they couldn't contact me or the other person expecting a parcel, so left cards outside (!). Not something I can pick up as I don't drive and is too heavy to carry; other options mean they'd fail to gain access (their story) again. Upshot after ages on the phone and having to go through the store where I ordered it - as no way of contacting delivery firm mentioned (and I can't find their link to the complaints procedure) is today by 10.30 (I can't guarantee to be around next week and they wouldn't give me a time). We shall see.

Interestingly, about 30min later the Yodel driver, using the same procedure, managed t contact me with no problem.

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 10:20 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

This didn't particularly bother me, but my mum sent me something and got a delivery notice from Amazon so forwarded it to me to check I'd got it ok. I was intrigued to notice that they'd said it was delivered to neighbour at no. x. My card very clearly said "parcel in the shed," which is where my flatmate found it. The "shed" is an open shelter where my flatmate stores his bike!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 12:23 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Interestingly "before 10.30" apparently means between 11.15 and 12.50!

I'm tracking online and Einstein would be very interested in the times. The driver's route appears to be circular and he is now further away than he was 15 minutes ago.

When the tracking says 15 minutes to go, I shall go down to the gate and wait for him there...

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 16:54 

I'm going to cry.

My original parcel was due to come by Collect Plus.
John Lewis sent a replacement, when they lost the original in transit, by Hermes, as Collect Plus don't seem to do next day delivery.
I got the e-mail saying Hermes had delivered it to the Collect Plus point.
This is the shop round the corner from me.
The woman in there won't let me take the parcel because I haven't got a Collect Plus code.
I haven't got a Collect Plus code, and I can't get one, because the parcel was delivered by Hermes.
I've been on the phone for over an hour and have got nowhere, other than John Lewis saying they'll ring me back.
The parcel is at the local shop, just round the corner.
I just don't believe this. It's like a bad sitcom sketch.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 17:07 

Brilliant example of how to make bad worse, Alison - and surely more to the point if John Lewis ring the woman at the Collect Plus point. Sending sympathy and e-cake!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 17:24 

I rang John Lewis from my mobile, and, after I'd been on hold for about three centuries, the guy there did speak to the woman in the shop, but it didn't do any good (and it was very embarrassing).

The latest update is that John Lewis sent out 600 parcels by the wrong courier. They have been scanned into the system by the shop, so the shop can't release them without a code or the system will show that they've kept the parcel. So my parcel - and those of 599 other people, who are presumably equally annoyed - now has to go all the way back to John Lewis, so that it can be sent all the way back to the shop with the right courier, with the right code.

And this is a replacement parcel after they lost the original.

I am ready to throttle someone :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: .

John Lewis are usually very good, but this is the last time I order anything from them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 17:39 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Alison H wrote:
So my parcel - and those of 599 other people, who are presumably equally annoyed - now has to go all the way back to John Lewis, so that it can be sent all the way back to the shop with the right courier, with the right code.

I really do sympathise. They have, though, admitted they were wrong. Unlike DPD yesterday - who had to believe their driver (but bristled when I asked how he logged no replies to buzzers). I went and waited for the next chap.

He did agree that as I couldn't lift the parcel (a bookcase, what else?), there wasn't a possibility of my using their other options.

Reminds me of the local Amazon locker - first time I used the pick up I had to ask the security guard to get it out of the locker for me - the top shelf is about two feet above my head.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 26 Jun 2017, 14:52