Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 05:28

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yet more whinges!!
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 12:56 
Toothache!
Toothache!

cestina wrote:
I decided not to have the flu jab after several friends of my age had very negative reactions to it. Having said that, I must remember that I do intend to have the pneumonia one....

I've never had a flu jab before, but when I went to get a prescription this week the doctor offered it to me there and then so I decided to go for it. This was 3 days ago, no reaction, no sore arm, which pleased me as so many people do get reaction/sore arm.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 13:38 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

I didn't get sore arm this year either, though have in the past, but thought it stung a bit more than usual when I had the actual jab the other day. But I'll happily take that!

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017, 20:55 
Learning to play Lacrosse

Hugs to everyone who needs them! We reported that our bathroom door had a hinge coming loose last Monday morning. The answer was "it is hanging off dangerously?" and were told she'd look into it... On Wednesday it came completely off the top hinge. I fear the bottom one is soon to go. We're being as careful as possible but we do need to access the shower!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 11:02 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Didn't get interview for job that I really wanted and was closer to home. It's about time something good happened in my life.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 11:57 
Presenting your school report

I'm sorry Liz. I hope something else comes up soon.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 12:11 

Thank you, so do I.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 12:25 

Paws crossed that something does, Liz!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 13:14 

Thank you, Noreen.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 12:56 
Promotion to Five A
Promotion to Five A

I had (yet another) job interview yesterday. It was rather a surreal experience, as a couple of minutes into the interview, I realised that I was being interviewed for a completely different job than the one I thought I'd applied for.

It was in a totally different department and part-time rather than full-time. Part-time would actually suit me better and I could do the job, but I'm sure I didn't perform as well as I could have done. It all rather depends on whether the other applicants also thought they were being interviewed for a different job! :banghead:

I didn't actually say anything in the interview about the mix-up, as I wasn't sure whether the mistake was mine, but I've checked the website this morning, and the job advert to which applied suggests that the mistake was theirs, not mine.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 13:08 

How weird and confusing, Carol! Let's hope you dealt with it better than the other candidates... :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 13:57 

Cal, how odd! Sounds like someone should have told you. It might be worth mentioning via e-mail so they're aware and can then factor it in accordingly when evaluating your performance in the interview. Fingers crossed!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 14:53 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Sorry you didn't get the job Liz, keeping my fingers crossed that something nice happens soon!

That's odd Cal, I hope you get the job though if it would suit you

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 22:56 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

I've had a fairly nasty letter from a now-former penpal to explain the reasons why she doesn't want to write to me any more, which are... surprising.
She doesn't think we have anything in common - fair enough, she could have stopped there. But...
She thinks I have an 'island mentality'. Well, I do live on an island, but unless that phrase means something completely different in Germany than it does here, she's accusing me of being racist or otherwise bigoted - which I don't know how she got that impression, could it be the voting for equality, the supporting of rights for all, the criticism of people who blatantly don't approve of those things? (Meanwhile, she hates half the other types of Germans in her country because they can't speak the right dialect for her.)
My 'views on Europe', which I don't think I've ever discussed with her. I don't think they are what she seems to be assuming they are.
She doesn't know why she would want to write to someone she's never met in person - in which case, she's kinda missing the point of penpalling. And it's about 10 years too late for her to be figuring that out.
She doesn't like hearing things about my country or culture, she only wants me to answer questions that she asks. Again, kinda missing the point of penpalling?

Anyway, if that's what she really feels, there's no point in continuing. And it is coming up on clear-out-the-old-stuff Hallowe'en, so great, that's a head start.

I just think I'd prefer something like "I can't devote the time to maintaining the friendship any more" or even "we have nothing in common any more" if she had to. This stuff seems completely unnecessary and I don't think she'd like me to do something similar to her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 06:10 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Blimey Whitequeen, you're right that is a nasty letter! Not sure what else to say apart from how weird and she obviously doesn't deserve you spending any time writing to her. Must have been a shock to receive though! Hugs.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 08:24 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It's horrible when someone treats you like that, but it sounds as if you're a lot better off without her. Hugs.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 08:51 

whitequeen wrote:
I just think I'd prefer something like "I can't devote the time to maintaining the friendship any more" or even "we have nothing in common any more" if she had to. This stuff seems completely unnecessary and I don't think she'd like me to do something similar to her.
Of course she wouldn't - that would hurt her feelings, but I suspect that she thinks she's just "being honest with you" (many folk who like to speak bluntly are remarkably thin-skinned when it comes to themselves).

Why would anyone think this sort of approach makes any sense, even? Nasty indeed, and wishing something nice to happen for you to take away the bad taste of this person.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 10:06 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

After a letter like that I wouldn't want her to continue writing anyway. Did you reply?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 12:21 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Hardly worth wasting a stamp on a reply! However, I think the only possible reply is along the lines of "it's your loss, not mine". Still leaves a nasty taste in the mouth though so sending you some virtual chocolate to take the taste away.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 13:18 

Ugh, how unpleasant, whitequeen. People are so weird. :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 15:06 
Scarlet fever!
Scarlet fever!

I'm gobsmacked, Whitequeen. I've been writing to my French pen pal now for over 50 years and had none of those sorts of comments flung at me, so it's not that yours is expressing given European views of us. I do hope you didn't reply to such an unsavoury diatribe.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 05:28