Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 21:29

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yet more whinges!!
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 16:28 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

As a retired teacher, I'd say that level of observation is completely out of order. I don't know which union you belong to, but get onto them asap as well as the medical advice you've been given. It's typical of school Senior Management to claim that observations are supportive when by and large they are in my experience (from both sides) they are destructive. One of the reasons I retired early was the overload of work that was not class teaching and which I was not suited for but felt obliged to do. The best of luck with this, please keep posting about the situation if you can.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 22:27 
Indulging in a midnight feast

Hugs to everyone who needs them! Sunshine_daisy, I can only echo what everyone else has said and hope you get the support you need ASAP. Do let us know how you get on if you can.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 23:17 
Buying your school uniform

Thank you so much everyone. I feel reassured knowing that it's not just me blowing things out of proportion.

I spoke to my union rep at school today and he agreed it was wrong. Ridiculous was the word used! He's put me in touch with the area rep who has given me some really useful advice on what to do now.

So I'm going to go and see the deputy head tomorrow and put my points across. I doubt it will achieve anything but it shows I've made them aware of the stress I'm under and gives them the opportunity to do something about it. Or not.

I'm also going to phone the doctor. I don't really want to because I know how guilty I will feel to be off work but I think I have to. I wouldn't have thought to print off my original post before it was suggested here but I'm going to. I think it'll make sure I cover everything. I'm likely to go blank or just play it down and say I'm fine if I don't. I'll see what tomorrow brings!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 23:21 
Swept off by Matey to pack

sunshine_daisy

Best of luck with everything and thinking about you. The very fact that you are doing something about it should help. Otherwise, I can only echo what everyone else has been saying.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 23:22 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Good luck Sunshine Daisy, I'm glad your union rep is being supportive and I hope things improve work wise.

If you do end up taking time off, don't feel guilty about it. There's only so much you can give, especially if you aren't getting anything in return.

I think printing your post off is a great idea, well-done Abbeybufo

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 23:54 
Attending a prees' meeting

Yes, wishing you the very best of good luck, sunshine_daisy. After all, teaching doesn't always have to be in a school, and even more important, you have very transferrable skills if you would prefer a change - one of my closest friends changed from teaching to being a librarian within the same local authority, and loved it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018, 00:39 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

I really hope it goes well, sunshine_daisy! Taking the post with you is really sensible. First time I went to the doctor about my MH stuff I took a list of things with me and just handed it to her because I literally couldn't say the things. Sending you all the good wishes!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018, 00:56 
Chosen for the Lacrosse team
Chosen for the Lacrosse team

Sunshine_Daisy, I'm glad you've printed off your earlier post, I think it will be very helpful to take it along to all appointments, be they with union reps, deputy heads, or doctors. If you can also manage to make notes of what happened when you talked to your union reps, and of what happens when you meet the deputy head, those would also be very valuable, both to act as an aide-memoire when you see your doctor and to ensure that all these events are on record.

You certainly shouldn't feel guilty about going on medical leave if your GP recommends it - no-one should have to put up with that level of stress in a workplace, and at some level it's cold comfort to know that too many others also have to put up with it. I think I'm glad that I'm no longer of an age where I would have to work - I'm not sure I could have coped with the level of stress you are under.

Best of luck, and as others have said, please keep us posted about what happens.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018, 07:13 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Just to say thinking of you,Sunshine Daisy - hope you get the support you need soon !

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018, 08:28 

It may have already been said - but I would suggest taking someone with you to see the deputy head if you can and if it's appropriate. The moral support might help you. Good luck and don't feel guilty.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018, 18:59 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

My heart goes out to you sunshine_daisy - thinking of you x

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 07:54 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

Thinking of you sunshine_daisy. Work related stress is an awful thing, hope the meetings with the Deputy Head and doctor went well. Many hugs!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 12:55 
Scolding a Middle for slang
Scolding a Middle for slang

No practical help or advice to offer, but I agree with all the other posts on here.

(((((sunshine_daisy)))))

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 16:39 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

I don't know whether you follow The Secret Teacher blog in the Guardian sunshine_daisy but this week's post has very clear echoes of yours....

I am becoming more and more outraged at what we demand of our teachers - two friends have given up recently because of the stress, massive admin, and their inability to teach as they would wish.

I hope you have managed to get a GP appointment....thinking of you.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 19:43 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'm sure there are plenty of kind and supportive employers like the Chalet School somewhere, but I wish I knew where. My colleague has been very unwell all week, but has kept coming into work as we only get a small number of paid sick days in each rolling 12 month period. They were even made to work through their dinner hour after having to take time off to see the doctor. I've now heard from a member of their family that things have got so bad that they've been admitted to hospital. I hear too many stories like this. I appreciate that it's not usually employers' fault if someone is ill, but even so.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 23:02 

I worked with a great company fron 1971 to 2000 - General Accident although part of another group now. (Mostly) really nice people, lovely office overlooking the river, non contributory pension scheme, cheap mortgage when rates were skyhigh and lots of other perks. Almost on a par with CS!

Changed days now though when the great God is money and staff in so many places treated as rubbish.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 16:21 
Buying your school uniform

I spoke to the deputy head on Friday. I told him how stressed and overwhelmed I was feeling. He said that he didn't know what my problem was and didn't understand why I was getting upset. He is responsible for staff wellbeing in our school.

I got really upset at work this morning and ended up coming home early. I've phoned the doctor and made an appointment for first thing in the morning.

Am dreading telling school but I do feel a bit calmer now I've made an appointment. Will make sure I have all the points I want to make written down and see what the doctor says.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 16:42 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

I'm glad to hear that you have made an appointment to see the doctor. Don't worry about the school's missing you. It's their problem, not yours. That deputy head is supposed to help you. He has absolutely no clue about staff welfare. I hope that he is the one who will have to sort out the cover when you are written off sick. May it give him a head-ache.

I haven't commented before but my thoughts go out to you as I have been in a similar position and so have lots of other people. You aren't alone. Once you have got the help you need and feel better, I'd seriously consider at least a change of school if your circumstances allow this. Not all deputy heads are as unsympathetic as yours.

Sending lots of positive thoughts.

When you are less stressed, try hatha yoga, I am so much calmer nowdays. The philosphy behind it really helps -IMHO.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 16:50 

sunshine_daisy wrote:
I spoke to the deputy head on Friday. I told him how stressed and overwhelmed I was feeling. He said that he didn't know what my problem was...
He could start by looking in the mirror! Honestly, what a crass thing to say. I can't better thefaru46's brilliant comments about headaches etc, so paws crossed for an optimum result for you.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 17:14 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Sunshine-Daisy.

Take a tape recorder with you into the interview if you feel it will help you.

If they object to the use of said tape=recorder, ask them to give you their objections in writing.

Then they cannot misinterpret ANYTHING that you say and cannot claim to be supportive when they are quite obviously being destructive.

And ask your union rep to attend the meeting.

They are obviously thinking to flatten you with their big guns. Now is the time to respond with your trebuchets. Play them at their own game.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 21:29