Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 13:12

Post subject: Bidding For Books on Ebay
PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 13:54 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

I've just bid for a CS book on ebay and it has reminded me about how uncomfortable I am at buying books by this method.

The CS/EBD world is quite small and I'm conscious that, if there are other bidders, I am likely to "know" them via one of the CS groups. In some cases, people have even made excited posts about items on which they are bidding

I like an EBD bargain as, I expect, does everyone else here. If there are other people interested in the same book on ebay, then I get concerned that what we are doing is pushing up the price for each other. That might be good news for the seller but hardly a good thing for one's friends.

Accordingly, I tend not to bother bidding on books where there are other bids, and if I am the first bidder, I make a bid and then ignore what happens subsequently. I've said what the book is worth to me: if it's worth more to someone else - so be it.

I realise that I am probably over-thinking this, and perhaps everyone else is far more cut-throat about this than I am...but how do other people feel about this?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Bidding For Books on Ebay
PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 14:46 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

I don't like ebay at all, Victoria, and scarcely ever use it (though SLOC frequently does) but I'm not opposed to other forms of auction. This isn't quite as illogical as it sounds - the main thing I don't like about ebay is the sniping facility, where you can put in a bid a minute before bidding expires. Yes, you can do that in a sale-room auction, but it's infrequent.

I think you are being a bit over-scrupulous, but it has to depend on what you feel comfortable with - I suppose it partly depends on how competitive you are. Despite my dislike of what I've just described above, the sale-room is just about the only place I am competitive, and I do go into bidding very much to win - but then I've spent years bidding for stuff on behalf of the museum, when I had to win. Yes, there were strenuous efforts not to compete with other museums, but inevitably it sometimes happened. I wouldn't worry about pushing the price up too much, as I think the majority of people who bid on ebay are keen on keeping the price down and things often go for rather less than they're worth - moreover, it's an open market and seldom the only source of the item, especially in the field of children's books.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 14:56 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

These days if I'm bidding I simply decide how much I'm prepared to pay, set it as my maximum bid on ebay, and then leave it. If I win it, great, and if not, then someone else was prepared to pay more than I was, which is fair enough. Honestly, I don't really worry about other people.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 19:29 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

I use ebay a lot, sometimes for books, more often for dolls house items where the same thing applies that bothers you Victoria - I am maybe bidding against someone that I know and pushing the price up for a fellow collector.

I decide on the amount I am willing to spend but may well not put in that bid until the very last minute - sorry Noreen.

If it is something I am not desperate to get and there is another bidder I will often decide not to bid at all, especially for dolls house items, on the basis that I probably already have something similar in my collection and I should let someone else have a chance. But I don't fret about it if I seriously want it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 19:39 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

I bid both for books and card-making items on ebay, but, like cestina, tend to decide how high I'm prepared to go before I start, and have nipped in at the last moment to acquire something. These days, though, I tend on the whole to use the 'Buy Now' items rather than start a bidding war.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 20:40 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

cestina wrote:
I decide on the amount I am willing to spend but may well not put in that bid until the very last minute - sorry Noreen.
No, it's OK - it's customary within the culture, and I know I'm likely to be more or less alone in feeling that way. And like I say, it has to be what feels comfortable for the individual.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 21:16 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I think everyone has to accept that that's how eBay works. It can feel a bit sneaky if you try to put in a bid at the end and do someone else out of the item, but they're probably trying to do exactly the same to you. It's just the way it works.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 13:12