Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:14

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help please - my amazon account has been hacked
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 07:38 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

I got an email this mornign saying that according to my request, the email on my amazon account (which on amazon is also the password to enter the account) had been changed. I never made any such request, so it seems that someone has hacked it. The email was sent from [ACTIVE LINK DELETED BY MOD] so would seem to be valid.

I'm not too bothered about the credit card because it is a pre-paid card with no link to my bank account, and currently has about five pounds on it. Anyone trying to spend more than that will just have the request refused.

Can anyone advise me how I go about reporting it, and getting it changed back? I haven't actually opened the email yet - what I have read is just the subject line and the first few words that are displayed. Is it safe to open the email, or is it likely to hack my email account as well? Or is it already too late to prevent that? I'm sounding rather nervous, but I've never had to deal with this before, and I'm not sure about the best way to proceed.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Help please - my amazon account has been hacked
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 07:47 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Do not open the email. Do not click on any links in the email.

Contact Amazon customer services via their website.

It could well not be genuine. I quite frequently get emails purporting to be from banks, telling me there are problems with my account, when I don't actually have an account with the bank in question.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 08:03 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

What Jay said. I've had quite a few fake e-mails claiming that my Amazon, Paypal or iTunes accounts have been hacked.

If you go to the "help" section of the Amazon website, you'll be able to contact them there. And, if your normal password works, you'll know it hasn't been changed.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 09:45 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

That's a nasty thing to happen, Miriam - echoing JayB's advice not to open the e-mail or click on anything in it; and when you do delete it, go into 'deleted items' and delete it from there too. Good luck!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 10:40 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

I've had several too. SLOC got one and he hasn't even got an account. I echo the advice that the others have given.

Warning: If you pay UK tax, do NOT under any circumstances believe that HMRC are going to pay you a refund when they send you an e-mail asking for details. I have reported this one.

A general word of advice which the others have also given, is NEVER click on links however genuine they seem. Go directly to the website and into your account.
Also, obviously, get good anti-virus software.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 10:44 

Some of them are really obviously fake - I've had several fake Paypal ones whose senders have managed to spell Paypal incorrectly :roll: - but some of them do look very convincing, and it's quite disconcerting when you get them. Good luck getting it all sorted out.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 14:13 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

thefrau46 wrote:
A general word of advice which the others have also given, is NEVER click on links however genuine they seem. Go directly to the website and into your account.
Also, obviously, get good anti-virus software.

I agree completely. If the message is genuine, you'll be able to get to it via the website itself.

Websites like Ebay, Paypal and Amazon always include your name in their emails, which does help to identify a lot of phishing immediately. Even when my name's there, I still play it safe though. Another tip is to mouseover the link. It'll usually have nothing to do with the company from which it purports to come.

I get bombarded with fake messages because I have a website with my email address on it. It's undoubtedly easier to be caught if you only get them once in a blue moon.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 22:35 

I had this recently, part of a longer e-mail purporting to be from my internet service provider (they did actually get the right ISP, which was the only reason I spared it more than a glance):

Quote:
To ensure your email address book is saved in our database. Please fill the information below to help us upgrade your mail server to the 2017 new standard.
Your Name:
Username:
Password:

xxxxx provider will disconnect any user from our web-mail services who refuse to send the required information.

My first reaction was 'how stupid do you think I am?' but I suppose there are some people who will fall for it.

And then there are the telephone scams telling me I have a problem with my Windows computer. I have several laptops running different versions of Windows, so I always ask them which one has the problem, and of course they can't tell me.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 22:47 
End of term...again
End of term...again

We had a problem with our internet the other day - it was down for about 16 hours. Sometime after I spoke to somebody in the out of hours BT call centre, I had a call from a guy claiming to be BT. When I refused to turn on my computer, and do what he asked, he told me that my internet service would be disconnected. Needless to say, he was nothing to do with BT. Also, I'm not quite sure how he expected me to do anything with my computer that might have been useful to him, since my internet connection still wasn't working. But it's easy to see how unwary people can be scammed by these guys.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 00:16 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

That's scary, Lottie! I have to confess that if someone from a big company calls me about something that sounds plausible and necessary, I always call the company back.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 06:34 

I was recently shown a video about fraud, as part of a training course (on how to spot fraud, I mean, not how to perpetrate it :lol:), and it was frightening how plausible they make these e-mails and phone calls seem. It's no wonder that people are taken in by them. I don't think anyone's likely to fall for things like a long lost relative you've never heard of leaving you all their money provided that you immediately send your bank details, or a friend being kidnapped and needing you to send £50,000 as ransom money, but some of them are worryingly convincing. Examples are people getting e-mails from what looks like their boss's e-mail account, telling them to make a payment to a particular firm, and people who're buying houses and have received e-mails from what looks like their solicitor's e-mail account, telling them to transfer the money to a particular bank account.

End of essay! It really was scary.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 08:13 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Any further developments, Miriam?

I think the scariest one I ever had was at work, purporting to come from the state police department of a South-American country, about prosecuting me for using an illegal site (no specifics given), and demanding my details. I passed it to our legal people just in case, but we all concluded that it was a scam - just an over-the-top one.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 15:34 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Abbey wrote:
That's scary, Lottie! I have to confess that if someone from a big company calls me about something that sounds plausible and necessary, I always call the company back.

Just make sure you don't use the same phone. Apparently there are instances where the fraudsters stay on the line, so if you use the phone on which they rang you, all you're actually doing is getting straight back to them. There was a big article in my paper by one of their reporters who'd been caught that way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 18:32 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

I was just about to say the say think, Annied. If they've called you (on a landline, at least - not sure about a mobile), you hanging up doesn't disconnect the call, so they can hang on the line.

I'd suggest always being absolutely sure you've got a dialing tone before dialing....

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 22:21 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Caroline wrote:
I was just about to say the say think, Annied. If they've called you (on a landline, at least - not sure about a mobile), you hanging up doesn't disconnect the call, so they can hang on the line.

I'd suggest always being absolutely sure you've got a dialing tone before dialing....

According to the article I read, they can even send a fake dialing tone down the line, so I'd say definitely use a completely different phone.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 22:35 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Presumably unplugging the phone line would disconnect the call.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 13:08 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

No, I don't think so. The connection is via junction boxes, telephone exchanges and etc. not in the recipients house.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 13:51 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Give it half an hour and then call back; no proper company is going to care if it's thirty minutes later that you call back, and chances are you won't get the same person - but if it was a genuine call they should know what the issue is anyway.

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:14