Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:27

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: little boys in ballet/dance
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 15:04 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

RubyGates wrote:
HopeBeale wrote:
Exactly Alison, When a mother is naming a baby, they are also naming a grown adult.

Er.... Fathers do have a say in naming their children as well!

It was Paris's father who chose the name. Her sister was called Vienna (and, no they were not emulating thr Nighingales).

The hardest to live with I've come across are Bear, Wolf, Griffin and Tiger.
The first three were second names so could, if desired, be quietly forgotten. Btw the girl was Wolf which shows my unexpected bias -I'd expected her to be Griffin...

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 17:21 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Many names have complex histories, having at certain times been more common for one gender or another, or as family names rather than personal names. Some have gone out of "fashion" entirely, some now common names have relatively short histories. Some are used completely differntly in different parts of the world. I found an ancestor called Euphrosyne in my family tree this weekend. I doubt any of us know a modern day Euphrosyne - a virtual prize to those who know the gender without Googling.

While the history of names is fascinating, I am afraid I can't get too worked up about current perceptions re. gender and usage. Although I agree that North West is unecessarily silly.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: little boys in ballet/danceibly nymph?
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 18:02 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Female - can't remember who she was offhand but would go for Greek and possibly nymph? Without googling

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 18:56 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Caroline wrote:

While the history of names is fascinating, I am afraid I can't get too worked up about current perceptions re. gender and usage. Although I agree that North West is unecessarily silly.

There is a long list of things I am trying not to get worked up about in* an effort not to become an old git. I have to admit to a private wince, though, at the preponderance of surnames as first names and to a public wince when I see some of the spellings of those names. Anyone who has worked in schoolteaching will recall looking at the names of the new intake and predicting which names will turn out to be attached to, er, challenging students. It's long out of date now but I remember a short list of names whose owners were guaranteed to be awful and whose parents were always knocking on the head's door with a fresh complaint.
* three prepositions in a row! Worthy of inclusion in the pedants' thread.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 19:10 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Gottfried wrote:
Caroline wrote:

There is a long list of things I am trying not to get worked up about in* an effort not to become an old git. I have to admit to a private wince, though, at the preponderance of surnames as first names and to a public wince when I see some of the spellings of those names. Anyone who has worked in schoolteaching will recall looking at the names of the new intake and predicting which names will turn out to be attached to, er, challenging students. It's long out of date now but I remember a short list of names whose owners were guaranteed to be awful and whose parents were always knocking on the head's door with a fresh complaint.
* three prepositions in a row! Worthy of inclusion in the pedants' thread.

Ditto accession data. When I was a bacteriologist we could work out approximate ages by given names. I had every known version of "Phyllis" - there are about six but my favourite was "Edythe". I bet she blessed her parents and spent all her life spelling it!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: little boys in ballet/danceibly nymph?
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 19:45 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

judithR wrote:
Female - can't remember who she was offhand but would go for Greek and possibly nymph? Without googling

Female and she was one of the Charities. Wikipedia says she was more commonly called Euthymia...

Goodness knows where my ancestors from Blackburn came by this name. Her siblings were Mary Jane, Thomas and David. Go figure... :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 21:20 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

My username on twitter etc is euphrosyna, which is a deliberate mispelling of euphrosyne. She was one of the Three Graces in mythology, the goddess of joy.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 12:17 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I wonder where Darrell Rivers stands in this apparently modern trend of naming girls with masculine names.

Our family tree contains such delights as Alexandrina, Donaldina, Jamesina, Hughina... the Highlands have a particular take on this trend!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 12:46 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Wasn't Darrell Rivers named after Darrell Waters, Enid Blyton's second husband? I'd love to know how he felt about having a schoolgirl heroine named after him :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 14:35 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

AilidhNoor wrote:
I wonder where Darrell Rivers stands in this apparently modern trend of naming girls with masculine names.

Our family tree contains such delights as Alexandrina, Donaldina, Jamesina, Hughina... the Highlands have a particular take on this trend!

I had a great aunt called Jamesina, although she was known to all the family as 'Auntie Jim'. I was told that her father had a long line of daughters (8 I think, this being in the late 19th century) and really wanted a son. When the last child was also a girl, he insisted that she be called Jamesina.

On the other hand, that branch of my family hails from Nairn near Inverness (having probably migrated from the Shetlands or Orkneys in an earlier generation). So, it's possible that Ailidh's theory also holds true. Or indeed, that a some genetic disposition in families towards bearing girls exists in certain parts of the UK.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 19:01 
Being taken down a peg or two

Cal, you are making me feel very nostalgic - my father was born in Inverness-shire in 1930, moved to Edinburgh when he was 5 and eventually my grandparents retired up to Nairn. As a child, I lived in Orkney and well remember crossing the Pentland Firth and taking the whole day to get down to Nairn to see Granddad Campbell, before taking another day to get down to Edinburgh to see my maternal grandparents! (Late 60s).

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 19:11 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

That brings back memories. I remember our first trip to Orkney from Tyneside in the early 80s. It took most of the day to drive to Inverness, at which point I thought, well, Thurso must be over the next hill. What was over the next hill was a sign saying 'Thurso 148 miles'!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 19:43 

I remember our car having to be lifted on to the St Ola and being very travel sick both at sea and in the ?Ford Estate .......

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 20:17 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

Several of my granny's friends were 'Ina' - usually differentiated by their surnames. It wasn't until I was grown up that I found out they were Hughina (two), Jamesina and , I think the last was Thomasina. So much for the masculine part!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 13:38 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

I visited the Orkneys as part of a Highland tour several years ago. It was beautiful. The chapel built by Italian prisoners of war at Lamb Holm (thank you Mr Google!) is well worth a visit, if you ever get the chance.

Sadly, I know of no living relatives on the islands.

ETA An idle thought just passed through my mind that perhaps Ena Sharples of Coronation Street fame was really named Jamesina, or one of the other 'Ina's? I just had a look at Wikipedia, but there's no reference to Ena being a short form of any other name. However, she would have been born in the right time frame, I think.

Note to self: Probably watched too much Coronation Street for too long! My only excuse is that I would have been a child for most of Ena's appearances. Her last appearance was apparently in April 1980.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 14:11 

I'm sure Ena Sharples was just Ena :lol: . The name was popularised by Princess Ena of Battenberg, later Queen Ena of Spain ... although her dress sense was rather different to Ena Sharples' :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 17:24 
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night

I think at the time Ena Sharples was born, Ena was common as an independent name, though I'm sure it was also used as a short name. Ina also can be an independent name - pronounced Eye-na not Eena. I know at least two people called Ina, both born in the '40s. Don't think either is common as a name on its own now.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 20:04 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

There's Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa on the food channel. I think that she pronounces it 'inner' !

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 05:49 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

This is very different from our usual discussions and might merit a discussion in SS regarding the Chalet School being a women-only space if people feel so inclined. Twitter and Mumsnet are both somewhat interesting resources for reading more on and discussing the trans rights movement and how it could impact upon women's rights. I recommend people go there to discuss if interested.
Special mod note:
I'm not sure everyone is aware that the CBB has attracted several pervs and fetishists over the years who enjoy thinking about little boys and girls, children changing, underwear, school uniforms and so on and occasionally go on to message CBBers, so unfortunately as usual, I will have to lock this thread prior to deletion later today and I will be changing the title. Thanks to people who have reported it and apologies for the delay in responding and deleting anything that people were following with interest.

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:27