View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 08:44

Post subject: Re: Another Royal Baby Names Thread
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 14:14 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Maybe William will be a middle name to coincide with Shakespeare's birthday

Visit http://www.encorebooks.co.uk and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/encorebooks for a wide selection of secondhand and new children's books (including ones published by GGBP, Bettany Press, Greyladies, The EJO Society, Books to Treasure and Fidra Books)

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 14:35 
Invested as Form Prefect
Invested as Form Prefect

Shame it can't be George William as it's also St George's day!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 14:37 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Yes, William in the names would be good. I saw somewhere that 'the people's choice' latterly was Thomas, which I have to say I rather like. And it would be just a bit different - after all, I think there had been nobody in the Royal family called Michael until Prince Michael of Kent was born in 1942.

Or if you prefer to reference earlier royals, apart from Arthur there's always Edmund, Stephen or Harold...

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 14:40 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I hope they go for Arthur, because it was my grandad's name and he was a big fan of the Royal Family :D . Maybe Philip as one of the middle names, and hopefully something from the Middleton side as well.

I do wonder what the people of Belsornia thought when it was announced that Elisaveta's daughters were being named after her old school pal and her former headmistress :lol: .

One of Edward III's sons was Thomas. He was bumped off by his great-nephew Richard II! I'm pretty sure the name hasn't been used by the royals since.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 14:58 
Invested as Form Prefect
Invested as Form Prefect

People keep saying it's time they used some Middleton names - but they don't see to have notied that Carole Middleton's second name is Elizabeth (as is Kate's), and Pippa is Phillipa Charlotte.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 20:37 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

They'll announce the name in a couple of days' time.

We have to remember that you can't please all the people all of the time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 21:38 
Lamenting the amount of work

Noreen wrote:

Or if you prefer to reference earlier royals, apart from Arthur there's always Edmund, Stephen or Harold...

Well if that's the criteria they are using they might as well plump for Canute!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 22:17 
Declaring it to have been the best term

I think we all know it will be a very traditional name. I suppose they would have wanted George's name to fit in with the names of other monarchs and then all of the children to have names that matched each others. This apart William and Kate are very traditional anyway. Their choice but didn't Kate play a blinder today?

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 23:04 
Invested as Form Prefect
Invested as Form Prefect

Guess if/when Harry and Meghan have a baby the name might be a bit less traditional!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 17:53 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

I got Alfred in the office sweepstake, but I think Arthur is more likely, with Philip as one of his second names, maybe also William. I saw Thor listed at 100/1 in one news article, Prince Thor sounds awesome. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 19:05 

Today's Matt cartoon in the D Tel has one worker saying glumly to another ... 'I got "Vladimir" in the office baby names sweepstake'.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 20:21 

Well, it would be one way of building bridges with Russia, and Prince Philip's grandma was a Romanov :D . Come to think of it, Arthur may have historical connotations about Camelot, etc, but Queen Victoria's son Arthur was named after the Duke of Wellington - might be as well not to remind our French friends about that, if that's the name chosen :lol: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 00:28 
Arguing with your guardian

Alison H wrote:
Well, it would be one way of building bridges with Russia, and Prince Philip's grandma was a Romanov :D . Come to think of it, Arthur may have historical connotations about Camelot, etc, but Queen Victoria's son Arthur was named after the Duke of Wellington - might be as well not to remind our French friends about that, if that's the name chosen :lol: .

Sorry to have to correct you but Prince Philip's grandmother was not a Romanov. She was Princess Victoria of Hesse, (the eldest daughter of Princess Alice, Queen Victoria's second daughter,) who married Prince Louis of Battenberg.
Victoria's sister Alix married Nicholas and became a Romanov so Philip was a cousin of the Romanov family, not descended from them.

As for baby names. I will go for Alexander.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 07:41 

snugglepot wrote:
Alison H wrote:

Sorry to have to correct you but Prince Philip's grandmother was not a Romanov. She was Princess Victoria of Hesse, (the eldest daughter of Princess Alice, Queen Victoria's second daughter,) who married Prince Louis of Battenberg.
Victoria's sister Alix married Nicholas and became a Romanov so Philip was a cousin of the Romanov family, not descended from them.

He had two grandmothers - like everyone else has :wink: . Queen Olga of Greece, the mother of Prince Andrew of Greece, and therefore Prince Philip's paternal grandmother, was a Russian Grand Duchess, Olga Constantinovna, niece of Tsar Alexander II and granddaughter of Tsar Nicholas I.

I love the name Alexander, but it's Prince George's middle name so I can't see them using it again.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 09:34 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Alison H wrote:
I love the name Alexander, but it's Prince George's middle name so I can't see them using it again.
Yes, and it's the name of Prince Richard of Gloucester's son (the Earl of Ulster) and grandson. OK, they're not princes, but the royal family do seem to prefer to avoid too much duplication of names, following on from the multiplicity of Victorias among Queen Victoria's grandchildren, nieces etc. Frederick is another that's a popular suggestion, but Prince Michael of Kent's son is Frederick.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 09:50 

Yes - I'm surprised James is one of the favourites, given that Pippa's brother and Prince Edward's son are both James. I know that some families do like to re-use "family" names, but it gets very complicated when you're a history student and trying to remember that Moretta, Ducky and all the other granddaughters who were given nicknames to avoid too much confusion are all actually Victoria :lol:. A bit like having Madge, Peggy, Margot and Daisy all in one family ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 09:52 
Arguing with your guardian

Alison H wrote:
snugglepot wrote:
Alison H wrote:

He had two grandmothers - like everyone else has :wink: . Queen Olga of Greece, the mother of Prince Andrew of Greece, and therefore Prince Philip's paternal grandmother, was a Russian Grand Duchess, Olga Constantinovna, niece of Tsar Alexander II and granddaughter of Tsar Nicholas I.

Wow, thanks for the information. I did not know anything about the Greek side of Philip's family. So he was doubly related to the Romanovs. No wonder he made that quote about never visiting Russia because "they murdered half my family".

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 11:00 

Prince Philip's family are fascinating :D. He's very closely related to the Spanish royal family and to the ex-rulers of Romania and Yugoslavia, as well as the Romanovs. I think it all got played down at the time of his marriage, because the powers that be were trying to make him seem as British as possible in the sensitive atmosphere of the immediate post-war years, and so it's never been mentioned much.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 00:26 

He is also closely related to the Kent family. He was originally Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark (or similar). The Queen's aunt in law, Princess Marina, was also originally Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark and could have been Philip's first cousin. If not, certainly second or third cousin.

I read recently there was no need for him to have renounced his original title. Not sure if he did this to join the British Navy or when it looked as if he might marry the Queen.

His surname, Mountbatten, anglicised from Battenberg, was actually his mother's surname. His father had a four-barrelled surname.

If my daughter had been male she was going to be called Alexander Philip, after my father and her own father but also because I liked the names.

I doubt if the baby will be called Philip but would think it good for one of the midde names. Kate might think though her grandfathers just as special.

Edited to add on - It is actually quite interesting that Philip did not become a British Prince until 1957 - 10 years after his marriage.

In 1947, before his marriage, George VI gave him the title HRH Duke of Edinburgh but without the prince bit.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 07:53 

First cousins :D . I love the name Marina - I've long since chosen it as the name for the next Russell baby in my next drabble, except that I never seem to find time to write it!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 08:44