Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 08:15

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: October whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 08:37 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

New thread seeing as the last one had got very long.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Alison H on 20 Oct 2018, 08:43, edited 2 times in total.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: March whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 14:19 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

I have nothing to whinge about but I thought I'd just thank you, Alison, for starting the new thread.

The sun is shining here and it is springlike. Sorry, wrong thread.

Hugs to everyone who needs one.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 13:36 
Tilting in Prep
Tilting in Prep

Why do people only give you half of the information you need and then complain because you get the most important part of a task wrong?

Sorry, bad morning in the office! I suppose I shouldn't complain, though, as the job is generally going well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 19:13 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

cal562301 wrote:
Why do people only give you half of the information you need and then complain because you get the most important part of a task wrong?

Because they're idiots........?

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 20:40 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Builders didn't arrive; insurance claim still not resolved; toothache!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 23:54 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

lizco wrote:
Builders didn't arrive; insurance claim still not resolved; toothache!

Let's hope that tomorrow will be a better day, Lizco.

It rained all day and it's getting colder again.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2018, 08:42 

I am behind with absolutely everything, and I can't catch up because I'm always stuck at work :( . I could do with an extra week put in the year somewhere. An extra day would do, as a starter for ten. Gah!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 13:24 
Tilting in Prep
Tilting in Prep

fio wrote:
cal562301 wrote:

Because they're idiots........?

This is a happy post, but here because it relates to the above.

Aforementioned lecturer apologised to me this morning. I think he realised how unreasonable he had been.

Some bosses I've worked for never apologised even when they were clearly in the wrong.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 22:47 
Declaring it to have been the best term

How lovely Cal. That is very unusual and I'm glad the job is going well :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 20:20 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

The snow is melting; but what a weekend we had of driving to work in it :( drifting snow on Saturday evening made for poor visibility I think Dad was nearly at crawling speed in a four by four...Sunday morning we nearly got stuck in a drift; and Sunday evening we nearly had a head on collision with another car as snow drifts on either side of the road ;( whilst I'm not a car driver, I was very nervous sat in the passenger seat. Lets hope that is the last; though people have told me that more is to come. Has any one else had any adventures in the snow? We live in the country side.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 11:19 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Hugs to everyone who needs them. Having missed most of the snow, the weekend's weather was a shock to the system! So the doctors now think that what they discounted as not being an infection before I left almost 5 weeks ago is now... an infection. This is making it somewhat difficult to cope with packing up my entire life and moving countries. A wonderful friend came and helped me on Sunday but I am the first to admit that logical packing does not come naturally. :lol: On top of that, I cannot find a home in Geneva and the snow meant all our potential flat visits for my room last week were cancelled. And don't get me started on a certain mobile country not letting me cancel my phone contract via email or letter. I messed up the security check (mea culpa - I forgot when I last did x) via phone so now I have to go to a store in person to verify I haven't stolen my own phone (I admit this does make me smile and is a good security step, although presumably if I don't turn up, they won't take any action anyway...) Apologies for ranting - one of these things will fall into place and I will return to normal sleeping hours and at some stage hopefully be able to eat!

ETA - it was wonderful to take over 3 suitcases worth of bags of items to donate to c charity shop yesterday :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 13:17 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

We're into week three of no boiler, no central heating and no hot water.

The living room wood stove is seeing plenty of use, and the chimney heats our bedroom, but the rest of the house is an ice box. It was 4 degrees in the bathroom this morning. Any laundry has to be taken to a friends to tumble dry, as it won't dry indoors. The poor dog is suffering badly with arthritis due to the cold, and has been sleeping in our room (and waking me up every hour by trying to climb on the bed :evil: )

I am utterly over this weather, and cannot wait for the boilerman to come next week and restore to me my hot water!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 15:28 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Sympathies, roversgirl.

Sympathies also AilidhNoor. We had one winter where the heating (including hot water) broke down and we couldn't afford to get it repaired; it was awful. I hope the weather warms up soon and that the repairs are done with all due speed and efficacy!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 20:15 

Roversgirl - that all sounds incredibly stressful for you. We'll practically be neighbours when you move. Well Geneva is only an hour and a half away by car! :wink:

AlildhNoor - many sympathies I spent a January without hot water a couple of years ago when our hot water tank sprang a few leaks, it's not nice - and I was lucky enough to be able to still have heating!

And my birthday trip to Budapest has had to be cancelled thanks to French travel industry stokes. :banghead:

Edited to correct autocorrect typo.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 00:13 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Jools wrote:
Roversgirl - that all sounds incredibly stressful for you. We'll practically be neighbours when you move. Well Geneva is only an hour and a half away by car! :wink:
Edited to correct autocorrect typo.

Can we organise a CBB catch-up once I've settled in? :) Oh yes, I remember the days of cancelled trips because of strikes (not living in France this time round!)

Ailidh, that sounds terrible. Hope it is fixed soon!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 07:51 

roversgirl wrote:

Can we organise a CBB catch-up once I've settled in? :) Oh yes, I remember the days of cancelled trips because of strikes (not living in France this time round!)

Would love to meet once one you're settled. :D

We've now booked two nights in Marseille and then we're driving along the coast and spending two nights in Genoa! Living in Grenoble definitely has it's good points.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 14:04 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Does anyone know anything about cataract surgery? Specifically - do they ever operate on the dominant eye first and/or is it possible to correct for reading rather than distance (I'd still need glasses for anything heavy duty or knitting etc but it would be rather nice to be able to read passably without glasses).

It's a bit of a whinge because the appointment was a bit rushed and the Sp3's English (especially written - how she passed her exams I don't know) not that good.

Would it be any use getting an opticians appointment?

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 14:13 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

When I had mine done, the surgeon specifically said he wouldn't 'change the way I looked at the world' too much! SO the lens that went into my left eye - the only one I needed done, as my cataract was apparently a 'trauma cataract' rather than the usual type - and this was on the day of the op itself, not the pre-op assessment that was nurse-led a week or so before. I'd been given a date, BTW, and then rung up one morning as I emerged from the shower to ask if I was able to come straight down as they'd had a cancellation, which was brilliant, as I missed all the hours of anticipation associated with the night before etc etc.

SO instead of having my right eye corrected fro distance with a contact lens, and the left eye for reading with another, as I'd had before - and still needing driving glasses, I now can read comfortably with the shortsighted right eye see most things into middle distance with the left that has the new 'plastic' lens, and of course still have to have driving glasses to bring the right eye up to distance vision - I'm apparently legal without, but it's more comfortable with them, as then my right eye isn't overstrained.

Don't know if that helps or not, as I'm not typical.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 14:33 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

abbeybufo wrote:
When I had mine done, the surgeon specifically said he wouldn't 'change the way I looked at the world' too much! SO the lens that went into my left eye - the only one I needed done, as my cataract was apparently a 'trauma cataract' rather than the usual type - and this was on the day of the op itself, not the pre-op assessment that was nurse-led a week or so before. I'd been given a date, BTW, and then rung up one morning as I emerged from the shower to ask if I was able to come straight down as they'd had a cancellation, which was brilliant, as I missed all the hours of anticipation associated with the night before etc etc.

SO instead of having my right eye corrected fro distance with a contact lens, and the left eye for reading with another, as I'd had before - and still needing driving glasses, I now can read comfortably with the shortsighted right eye see most things into middle distance with the left that has the new 'plastic' lens, and of course still have to have driving glasses to bring the right eye up to distance vision - I'm apparently legal without, but it's more comfortable with them, as then my right eye isn't overstrained.

Don't know if that helps or not, as I'm not typical.

Yes thanks. My eyes are very different, the left (dominant) doing most of the work. The right is lazy and I already have double vision and what is left over from squint correction as an adult. She's suggesting RE first but was v pessimistic about double vision etc getting worse and perhaps needing more surgery to correct (which may happen anyway "when you can no-longer control it"). I'm 6.5 already for reading n the RE and if the measurements they did stand, without cataract removal it would (should) now be 7.5, with the left having reached 5+. She's quite dismissive about the strength of lenses but they're a b. nusisence already as I need ultra-thin so the readers don't fall off!

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 16:24 
Released!
Released!

judithR wrote:
Does anyone know anything about cataract surgery? Specifically - do they ever operate on the dominant eye first and/or is it possible to correct for reading rather than distance (I'd still need glasses for anything heavy duty or knitting etc but it would be rather nice to be able to read passably without glasses).

I had my left eye done last year, Judith, and did ask would he make it the same strength as the right one - but the bloke decided, in his infinite wisdom, that he would make it so I could use it to read without glasses, annoying me intensely by his high-handedness, and it now has such poor vision that I can see nothing without my glasses, though, yes, I can read without them, but it wasn't what I asked for! :dontknow: So yes, you can have it corrected for reading. Good luck!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 08:15