Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 18 Aug 2019, 06:43

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Year whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 18:45 
Attending a prees' meeting

Well done, Sarah - thanks for letting us know, and keep on talking to us about it if that helps.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 21:13 
Playing Impertinent Questions

I'm glad you have been offered something at the right grade with all benefits. Good luck with the brain scan.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 22:10 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Thanks all - I’m concentrating on the positives as the job really isn’t something I’d have applied for through choice. It has nothing to do with books, events or even directly libraries and is back office work on a new web platform. But it is a job, and I like my boss...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 22:26 

Lots of positives and you never know what opportunities may come up later. A sympathetic boss is worth a lot! Good luck.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2019, 00:14 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

I'm so pleased Sarah, less stress and keeping you benefits. I'm sorry it was the job you applied for, but I hope you enjoy it. Fingers crossed for the scan.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 14:17 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

Sarah, glad about the job even though it was not your first choice. Hope the scan etc also goes well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 10:52 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

My next door neighbours' are selling their house. The reason for moving is to do with school catchment areas so they are already in a rented house and will buy when their current house sells.

The problem is that they have a cat. Now. last summer they went away for a month, I fed the cat and the cat slept in their "garden shed". Now they are coming over "every day" to feed the cat and the cat has access to their shed.

Whilst I thought this might be okay in the summer, it's a lot colder now, and I wonder how much the "coming over every day" is going to be wishful thinking given how inconvenient it must be. They haven't asked me to feel the cat (which seems to me to be the obvious thing to do).

These people aren't nasty so I feel that I might be worrying too much,
It's just...well...you know...

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 15:11 

Victoria wrote:
They haven't asked me to feel the cat (which seems to me to be the obvious thing to do).

These people aren't nasty so I feel that I might be worrying too much,
It's just...well...you know...
I do - we even worry about our neighbours' cat at this time of year because their house doesn't have a cat flap, although he does at least have a mega-thick coat (Himalayan/ Persian cross), but I suspect it's designed to withstand monsoon rain rather than a British winter. It must be miserable for him to be out in it quite so much, I'd have thought.

If this situation troubles your peace, Victoria, I guess you may have to tackle them about whether they'd like you to feed him.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 15:45 
Sharing a joke with the doctor

Am I missing something? Surely if they're now living in the rented house they can take the cat with them. Isn't puss part of the family? Why on earth have they left him/her behind? :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 01:09 

Pets are not allowed in the rented house so the cat will be here until they buy a new house.

I don't really want to get involved in feeding the cat because I am concerned that it might just be too easy to effectively abandon the cat to me. However, I am unofficially putting out food!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 18:15 

Thanks for explaining about the rented house and cats, Victoria, and good luck with extricating yourself from the situation, without puss starving to death.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 17:17 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

My whinge is the Council library service. My nearest library is the main one and housed in a nearby shopping centre. It has to move to new premises as the owners of the shopping centre want the space. Currently it is closed and is due to move to a temporary place later this year. They had a drop in service which meant I could order books on line and collect them when they came in. This morning I went to the library and found the drop in service was closed due to building work. This is the second time that this has happened.
I got the bus to another library and was able to return 2 books. The staff were not aware that the drop in was shut but they were very helpful. They did not have the book that I was due to collect but were able to change the collection place of the other books I had ordered to another library which is more convenient for me.
There is nothing on the library website about the current situation. I have completed an official complaint and suggested they email service users and staff to update them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 21:56 

Jenefer wrote:
My whinge is the Council library service. My nearest library is the main one and housed in a nearby shopping centre. It has to move to new premises as the owners of the shopping centre want the space. Currently it is closed and is due to move to a temporary place later this year. They had a drop in service which meant I could order books on line and collect them when they came in. This morning I went to the library and found the drop in service was closed due to building work. This is the second time that this has happened.
I got the bus to another library and was able to return 2 books. The staff were not aware that the drop in was shut but they were very helpful. They did not have the book that I was due to collect but were able to change the collection place of the other books I had ordered to another library which is more convenient for me.
There is nothing on the library website about the current situation. I have completed an official complaint and suggested they email service users and staff to update them.

My local library library closed "temporarily" in September. For more than 6 weeks, we were told nothing - and I was left like you, with books to collect at which I could not get.

Currently we have a 2-hours-a-week mobile service (it used to be 4 days) in school hours, during the working day and with no computer access etc. We still have not been told anything about what is going on or whether the library will be reopened. Complaints are ignored (staff from other libraries tell me that when they report people asking what is going on, management greet it with a shrug) and not even the staff employed there have been told what is going on.

Given the Council has an entire website, various facebook groups and pages plus plenty of access to the local press, it is hard to believe just how poor they are at communication.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 23:01 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I suspect that they are not poor at communication, they simply do not dare to come clean about the fact that they will probably be unable to restore the library service to anything like its former glory.

I always used to believe that the British library services and the Citizens Advice Bureaux were examples almost of perfection. Sadly things have changed dramatically in the past 20 years....

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 23:42 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Most of ours have closed, and the few that are still open have had their hours cut and most of the staff replaced by irritating self service machines. I understand that councils are struggling for money and something's got to give, but they wasted a fortune on widening the pavements near the library to encourage an outdoor "café culture", which may be great in Barcelona or Lisbon but doesn't really work when it's 2 degrees below zero!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 10:01 

The Council has a huge deficit so there will be cuts. They have proposed closing some of the smaller libraries or using volunteers to run them. The one that I will be using is under threat.

It is not just the Library Service. One of my old colleagues told me that some Occupational Therapy posts will be cut. They already have a long waiting list of people needing visits.............

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 11:36 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

As a library staff member I can say that often we don’t know what is going on either, or that there is some form of rule saying you can’t talk about what’s happening.
I’m lucky in that so far in Norfolk no buildings have shut and in fact by using technology the physical buildings are open much longer - with fewer staff often but still there...

Hearing about other closures is very sad tho, and sadly libraries are seen as the soft option in financial hard times.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 11:03 

I’ve just tried to book a doctor’s appointment.

The earliest one I could book with the doctor I usually see is on March 12th. I asked if I could book an appointment with another doctor, and was told that the earliest one available was on February 28th. You’re supposed to be able to book appointments on the day, but the phone lines are constantly engaged and, by the time you get through, all the appointments are gone. People get round this by camping on the doorstep and making an appointment in person, but that’s impossible if you’re at work, and so is ringing repeatedly if you’re on your way to work. And, even if you can get an appointment on the day, it’s difficult to get there without notice if you’re at work, or have other commitments such as collecting children from school.

I tried booking on the website last night, but the earliest one available for booking on line was on March 5th.

What are you supposed to do?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 20:17 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Alison H wrote:
I’ve just tried to book a doctor’s appointment.

The earliest one I could book with the doctor I usually see is on March 12th. I asked if I could book an appointment with another doctor, and was told that the earliest one available was on February 28th. You’re supposed to be able to book appointments on the day, but the phone lines are constantly engaged and, by the time you get through, all the appointments are gone. People get round this by camping on the doorstep and making an appointment in person, but that’s impossible if you’re at work, and so is ringing repeatedly if you’re on your way to work. And, even if you can get an appointment on the day, it’s difficult to get there without notice if you’re at work, or have other commitments such as collecting children from school.

I tried booking on the website last night, but the earliest one available for booking on line was on March 5th.

What are you supposed to do?

I hear you. If it's possible I've booked to see the nurses, especially if they can give out medication, but even that can be a struggle to get in sometimes.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 21:48 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Nurse access is even worse for us... Only one, she’s part time, no online appointments, etc.

Our practice (not far from Alison) saves some appointments for daily walk ups, so if you are truly ill / concerned enough to be off work, you can pretty much always see someone if you’re willing to sit in the waiting room till a doctor is free. But for check ups, non-urgent (but important) stuff, its almost impossible if you work full time. And I work 35 miles away from our surgery, so I can’t just “pop over”, and I start work an hour before the surgery opens.

I love our NHS, and they’ve been great on the occassions I’ve needed to call on them for something serious, but this GP situation isn’t getting better. Our surgery is pretty much all part time GPs, locums etc, too, because they can’t get full time staff. So, no such thing as “my doctor”, no seeing a woman when preferred, no continuity of care etc. It’s very frustrating.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 18 Aug 2019, 06:43