Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 17:49

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Year whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019, 18:20 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Audrey25 wrote:
Roversgirl, Jennie and Whitequeen, thinking of you all with your different problems and sadness. Hugs to you all and to anyone who needs them.

I seem to be worrying about everything just now; most of it trivial but I have got to the stage where it is occasionally hard to function. So stupid.

Welcome to my world. Audrey! Anxiety is a horrible feeling :( Everything seems much bigger than it actually is, and you wonder why you worried about it in the first place... hugs.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2019, 12:43 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

Jennie wrote:
As an ex-town councillor, I regularly litter-pick my own street. As a small town, we simply can't afford to employ someone to sweep all the streets.

Sympathies to all who need them.

That was my point exactly. If everyone took responsibility for their own litter, there wouldn't be a problem. And if kids are involved, it's the parents' responsibility.

My late brother-in-law was a street sweeper in Halifax in the 80s. He used to tell some horrendous tales of things he'd found. I'm sure things have got worse since then. Even then, the council didn't (or perhaps couldn't afford to) employ enough street cleaners. My b-in-law worked very long hours (including weekends) for very little reward.

Street cleaners seem to be more valued in Spain. In central Madrid, there's actually a statue of one. I took a photo of it to show to my b-in-law.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 01:01 
Dashing off for your part in the play

emma t wrote:
Audrey25 wrote:
Roversgirl, Jennie and Whitequeen, thinking of you all with your different problems and sadness. Hugs to you all and to anyone who needs them.

I seem to be worrying about everything just now; most of it trivial but I have got to the stage where it is occasionally hard to function. So stupid.

Welcome to my world. Audrey! Anxiety is a horrible feeling :( Everything seems much bigger than it actually is, and you wonder why you worried about it in the first place... hugs.

Sympathise with you. Same as I feel. Hugs back.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 01:03 

cal562301 wrote:
Jennie wrote:
As an ex-town councillor, I regularly litter-pick my own street. As a small town, we simply can't afford to employ someone to sweep all the streets.

Sympathies to all who need them.

That was my point exactly. If everyone took responsibility for their own litter, there wouldn't be a problem. And if kids are involved, it's the parents' responsibility.

My late brother-in-law was a street sweeper in Halifax in the 80s. He used to tell some horrendous tales of things he'd found. I'm sure things have got worse since then. Even then, the council didn't (or perhaps couldn't afford to) employ enough street cleaners. My b-in-law worked very long hours (including weekends) for very little reward.

Street cleaners seem to be more valued in Spain. In central Madrid, there's actually a statue of one. I took a photo of it to show to my b-in-law.

Your brother-in-law should have been valued. His job must have been grim at times but so necessary.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 12:53 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

cal562301 wrote:

I volunteer every week to collect roadside litter. The local council give the community group we represent so much per bag, and recently this has been the seed money for matching government grants which have paid for a number of sculptures for our town (these sculptures are more for tourism than to commemorate somebody important).

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 08:53 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

We have got nothing to do at work. This is always a quiet time of year, but it's particularly bad this time. I'm contacting people to try to get work in, but having no joy. One person keeps falling asleep at their desk: I wish I could sleep so easily! It's particularly frustrating as I've got a million and one other things I need to do, but we get so little annual leave that I can't take time off unless I cancel my summer holiday.

It seems to be a socially unacceptable problem - if you tell people that you've got too much to do at work, they sympathise, but if you say that you've got nothing to do, they either laugh or act as if it's your fault and there's something wrong with you. But it's actually absolutely soul-destroying. Just moaning here because it's a good place to rant ... and because I'm dreading today!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 11:33 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Can I ship you some of my work? We are really short staffed, and can't recruit as the department is about to go part time and therefore jobs will be lost (hopefully including mine, I've had enough of this place).

Not having enough to do is horrible though, I do sympathise

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 13:26 

Please do :D !!

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 14:36 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Are you any good with Excel spreadsheets, Alison?

I have a need to do something that I think they can do, but I don't know how ... I'll PM you if you can help!

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 15:33 

I can try!

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 17:23 
Playing Impertinent Questions

Alison - it's absolutely soul-destroying to have nothing to do all day at work. When I found myself in that position I was so lethargic at the end of the day I didn't want to do anything in the evening either. Why is there never a happy medium? Hope the situation improves soon.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 17:56 

Thanks - yes, I have the lethargy problem too!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2019, 11:35 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

I've been off this week, so had a relaxing (though busy catching up with friends and on jobs around the house) week. However, I'm sure I'll be extremely busy next week, not least because the week before last my colleague was off and out of necessity I finished up doing more of her work than my own, because it was more urgent!

So, you're welcome to some of my work as well, Alison, although it's probably too late.

The students are on their Spring break at the moment, so in theory, it should be quieter in the office, but it never seems to work out that way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 21:24 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Shenanigans has eaten a streamer.
The 3 cats, during the night, managed to set off a party popper. Green glitter all over the floor. We thought we got it all swept up, and then hours later he appeared with streamer hanging out of his mouth, evaded all attempts to catch him, took it behind the sofa and ate the whole thing!
He doesn't seem to be suffering any ill effects but I am a bit worried that it'll do something nasty to his insides. Of course he is extremely proud of himself and is sitting with a smug look on his face, the brat.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 08:45 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

Sympathies to you, whitequeen - they're little whatsits sometimes, aren't they? Been there done that with one of them swallowing the elastic stringing from the meat many years ago*. Hope Shenanigans gets away with it, though...

*Noreen to cat "If you die, I'll kill you!"

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 17:39 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Our Newfie loved balloons, popping them with great enthusiasm. On the occasion of one birthday party he took umbrage at being shut in the spare room because of the many children -who of course were making free with "his" balloons.

I hadn't realised that there was a packet of balloons on the bed and when I came to let him out, I found he had eaten them all. I phoned the vet who said that they would probably pass through without trouble but that we needed to be sure since there was a potential danger that the rubber could twist round some part of his gut.

I had to take him straight to the vet for a strong emetic and laxative and then follow him round their garden, counting what emerged. Not the pleasantest occupation at the end of a long day!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 19:36 

My cousin's new-ish black lab 'puppy' has already had an op to remove a sock she had eaten, and was last weekend at the vet again as she was 'bunged up' and they didn't know what she might have eaten ... must get in touch and find out whether anything has emerged.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2019, 21:43 

Well, it must have gone through him by now, surely, and he's had no ill effects, so I reckon he's been lucky this time!
I still have no idea how they either found or set off the popper, though!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 18:13 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Our dog when she was alive, would get hold of anything she could eat - including frozen loaves of bread! I don't know how their stomachs handle these weird things they want to eat...

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 21:59 

Hugs to everyone who needs them! My replacement has emailed me three times in two days with questions (the answers to two are in her files, the third is something I should no longer be privy to). I have to pop in tomorrow [for reasons unrelated to me and I am officially done there] and she has written "have to talk about x!!!!" in today's second e-mail. I don't want to be unhelpful but I did leave because it was a toxic place... All advice welcome :)

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 17:49