Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 13:01

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Year whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2019, 10:36 
Asked to help with the play

Send an email saying you are going on an electronic detox week?

I will be made redundant in the middle of may, as part of company cut backs, which is basically good news as I am fed up with this place. However, the company is clearly determined to flog everything they can out of us in the meantime.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2019, 11:14 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Shortly after I left my old job, someone from there rang me at my new office (!) to mither about something! I'd said that I didn't mind people contacting me, but I didn't mean for them to ring my new workplace - it was quite embarrassing.

Suggest that she's breaching data protection rules by discussing workplace business with someone who no longer works there?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2019, 13:16 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

roversgirl wrote:
Hugs to everyone who needs them! My replacement has emailed me three times in two days with questions (the answers to two are in her files, the third is something I should no longer be privy to). I have to pop in tomorrow [for reasons unrelated to me and I am officially done there] and she has written "have to talk about x!!!!" in today's second e-mail. I don't want to be unhelpful but I did leave because it was a toxic place... All advice welcome :)

Point out that the answers are in the files for the first two and that it's a data breach for the third but if necessary they enquirer can contact you (works a treat). And avoid her when you go in - if necessary have a pressing appointment which cannot be broken and you're running late. Nor CS behaviour but works. I had the same thing when I changed jobs - like an idiot I told my replacement where to find stuff (and she, of course, took the credit) then, asked for all queries to be forwarded to me - I never had another!

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 10:53 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Thanks all! I'm definitely trying to reinforce all the info in in her files and/or inbox. I also adopted exile's suggestion. I'm going away (to see Jools and then further!) next Saturday and said that was detox time. Hopefully that will serve as a disconnect for her. Seems she is already feeling about how I felt 3 months in...

Exile, I'm sorry to hear they're running you into the ground. :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 23:16 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

I'm feeling absolutely fed up.

I have a cold. Not a cold with a streaming nose that will give me an excuse to stay in bed, just one that blocks my nose and makes me feel bad without getting any sympathy.

Also, my left kneecap, which I managed to fracture in January, has healed, but still gives me a lot of pain.

I hate being almost seventy-four.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 09:03 
Giving a Junior an order mark

Oh dear, Jennie - sympathies. “Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed.” as Anthony Powell is supposed to have said. On the other hand, I'd rather still be here, so far!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 07:11 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Many hugs to all that need them, and a request for some good wishes for myself.

While I was never hugely fond of the dentist events in 2017 have left me completely phobic about going. Now I have to go as a full emergency as last night a tooth fell out and has left me with a gaping hole & a lot of pain.

I'm afraid I feel a little like the spineless jellyfish this morning.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 07:17 

Oh dear, good luck!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 09:29 

Goodness, Jools - sympathies and best of luck with that! And I speak as one who has spent many hours (and pounds) in a dentist's chair...

Last edited by Noreen on 23 Aug 2019, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 12:51 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Hugs to everyone who needs them! Norfolkbookworm, I hope it went okay and you're now resting at home. Let us know how you get on. I don't want to go into the details but if a country's administration is taking 6 months to process forms for people to be able to work, they probably need to be hiring more staff.... It means a lost contract for me, so I am back to the drawing board :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 15:43 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Thanks all, the dentist had a look this morning to decide what should happen next, if I'm going to need injections then I need prepping & she needs to source different anaesthetics.
For now she is going to put a patch on with no injection at a longer appointment on Friday and we'll discuss further options then.
I'm a bit calmer now but still in some discomfort and also very nervous about future visits.

Funny tho - even with my fear it doesn't occur to me to hide the problem/pain a la Joey and others!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 17:17 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

I took Wednesday-Friday off work last week to go down South to my dad's as he's currently being assessed for potential (very likely) dementia and various things needed sorting.

Wednesday - no problems, barely any hold-ups on the motorway. Things were looking good.

Thursday - had arranged for the Community Nurse to visit at midday so we could have a three-way discussion and then to go to the bank. After three phone calls we finally established at 14:00 that the nurse was on sick leave. Made it to the bank who were very helpful but confirmed that none of the PIN numbers my father seems to have for his debit card are the correct one so a new one will have to be sent out this week. Father took the opportunity to do some shopping in the High Street and I ended up carrying bags in both hands so was not able to assist much when he suddenly fell as we were heading back to the car park. Fortunately he fell against a shop wall and slithered to the ground and we had assistance to get him back on his feet shaken but uninjured. Left him at a pavement café, went and got the car and parked illegally in a lorry loading bay by the café and got him home without further incident.

Friday - decided to check work emails at 8:45 only to find one from 8:15 from the new employee due to join my team today (Monday) saying he'd had a better offer and was no longer coming! Due to go to the solicitors to sort out power of attorney at 10:30. Loaded dad into the car at 10:05 only to find it wouldn't start. Had to call the RAC out (they were brilliantly quick for once) who confirmed a very dead battery which needed to be replaced - which they
did but I had to cancel the solicitor's appointment until a future (as yet undetermined date). Started home at 12:45. Should have taken 3 1/2 hours driving time (plus a short break) - didn't get home until 19:30 because of the number of breakdowns and accidents all the way up the motorway system.

So have very little positive to show for the three days off and now need to rearrange everything for when I can next take time off work which I can now even less afford given the fact we're a team member down!

Grumbles. Growls.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 18:47 

Oh no - why does everything always happen at once? At least your dad wasn't hurt. Hope this week is better!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 18:55 

That does sound like a bit of a nightmare. But, as Alison said, at least your dad is okay. And it doesn't sound like your prospective new employee is a very loyal type so you might be better off without them in the long run.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 19:27 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Hugs to everyone who needs them! Chattie, what an awful run! I hope you manage to get back there asap and things start to go more smoothly!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 20:11 
Learning all about Matey!

So sorry Chattie. Sometimes when things start to go wrong they just carry on going wrong. At least your Dad wasn’t hurt and fingers crossed that next time around things will go better.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 21:03 

What They All Said, chattie - unfortunately these things do seem to happen in multiples, sometimes. Paws crossed for better luck nest time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2019, 16:45 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Thanks all. I have had an extremely apologetic phone call from the nurse and, whinges aside, I have nothing but praise otherwise for the (I suspect rare) phenomenon of joined-up thinking and pro-active action of the various agencies I am dealing with in Guildford (a darn sight better than what colleagues tell me I could have expected more locally if dad was up here!). I was also relating all this to a friend yesterday who has pointed me in the direction of gov.uk's online provision for requesting power of attorney which would make life a lot easier (not to say cheaper!) than reorgnaising the solicitor's appointment!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2019, 17:42 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Having gone through the POA process, both for health and welfare and financial, for my now 102 year old neighbour about three years ago I have to say it's very easy indeed to do by yourself.

The forms are self-explanatory, and providing your father still has capacity to sign them (and someone who knows him well will witness to that) it should be problem-free.

You do have to fill out separate forms for health/welfare and financial. I was interested to hear from a local care home last week that people often only go for the financial one which can cause problems later.

If you get both now then your father can still continue to make his own decisions as long as he is able to do so.

There is a useful helpline if you get stuck with the forms.

I wish you the best of luck Chattie, it's a stressful situation to find yourself in.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2019, 18:26 

I've just tried to have a reasonable conversation with my neighbour about his odious vicious Alsatian, which he leaves outside all day, and which barks its head off every time anyone walks past or I am out in the garden. It has now damaged the fence by butting its head against it, trying to break through. The neighbour insists that the fence has rotted due to bad weather, but all the other panels are fine. His answer was that he doesn't see what I expect him to do about it, because dogs bark and it doesn't have a volume control.

Another neighbour has previously contacted the council, but they weren't very helpful, and no-one really wants to start a neighbourhood feud, but I am so sick of it! I appreciate that the horrible animal isn't really to blame because a big dog like that shouldn't be kept shut up in a small garden on a suburban housing estate, but it's very unpleasant and intimidating. Even if it's in the house, it sits in the front room and goes berserk every time anyone goes past.

Just needed to rant!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 13:01