Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 17:24

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Pedantry is alive and kicking on this board
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 12:27 
Putting up a good show
Putting up a good show

(Copied from the previous thread, because I realised that it had reached 26 pages.)

I have just finished reading a book where the main character has a baby. At the time of its birth, the parents both state explicitly that he will be given the name 'James' and this is used initially.

A couple of chapters later, the baby's name suddenly and inexplicably changes to 'Charles' and he is referred to by that name for the rest of the book.

On first reading the name change, I thought maybe I had been mistaken, so I went back to check.

Surely this is a mistake that the copy editor should have picked up, even if the author or the proofreader didn't?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Pedantry is alive and kicking on this board
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 17:27 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

Definitely - though I suspect most fiction never darkens a copy-editor's door :cry:

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 21:31 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

My new book has been through my eyes, my daughter's, commissioning editor, actual editor, me again, copy editor, proof reader, me again, formatter - and now, when I read the actual ebook when it came out on Tuesday, what do I find, but TWO dates that are wrong. :( One is just a silly typo that one of us should have spotted and one is an actual historical date that I should have spotted as wrong because I know the right one perfectly well. Still, ebooks can and will be corrected and so will the paperback in due course. Sigh...

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 21:39 
Lamenting the amount of work

Yes, I noticed the historical on in the back pages... :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 21:44 

Oh what a nuisance Nicky. I shall keep an eye out for them... :wink:

As someone who does a fair amount of proof-reading I know how easy it is for things to slip past many eyes.

Think of me - I am about to check a translation of an expert analysis of what is in a bottle of rum :shock: I wasn't allowed to take even O level chemistry......

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 23:23 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

One of the museum leaflets about children' s activities had a typo that got through six of us, at least two of whom were practised and sharp-eyed proof-readers. What was it? 'Chineses Whispers'! - only too appropriate, alas...

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 18:46 
Invested as Form Prefect
Invested as Form Prefect

John Lewis shops are selling Moz the Monster this Christmas as some of you have no doubt seen. The blurb next to the pile says a share of the profits will go to Dr Barnado's. The same notice also has Barnardo's spelt correctly in smaller print at the bottom!

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 13:17 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Just seen this post on Facebook, "The kitten loves the ballballs on the Christmas tree". Quite like this spelling!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2018, 17:25 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

I'm still waiting for answers from certain newspapers whose journalists have obviously never heard of the comparison of adjectives and adverbs.

RIP English Grammar.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 01:34 
...and Results
...and Results

Can't remember which one, but I was a little surprised when one of the television channels informed me in advance that, "This programme contains language."

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 10:37 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Annied wrote:
Can't remember which one, but I was a little surprised when one of the television channels informed me in advance that, "This programme contains language."
Oh good!

Given how many Facebook users in a recent thread claim to detest 'I would of' used for 'I would have' (and I agree) how is it that it's so prevalent? :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 11:11 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

I'd heard years sgo that it costs the author £50 to have a word changed in a book if it's not edited first time around. I don't know how true this is.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 12:51 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

emma t wrote:
I'd heard years sgo that it costs the author £50 to have a word changed in a book if it's not edited first time around. I don't know how true this is.

From The Author's Desk Book (1914, p. 67):
Quote:
Changes in the manuscript cost nothing, changes in the type cost one dollar per hour. To correct vital points after the book is in type is warranted; to correct blunders in punctuation or expression is needless expense, and is a reflection upon the intelligence of the author. Genius may be erratic, but it is more respected when it is not made to carry the responsibility of ordinary carelessness or ignorance. The writer recalls a case where the author of a story changed the name of one of the characters after the book was in type; it cost the publishers over eighty dollars.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 13:20 
Invested as Form Prefect
Invested as Form Prefect

Cost would be nowhere near the same today as then - must be all electronic now.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 17:46 
Deciding to learn Russian
Deciding to learn Russian

Noreen wrote:
[Given how many Facebook users in a recent thread claim to detest 'I would of' used for 'I would have' (and I agree) how is it that it's so prevalent? :roll:

Sheer laziness in the way folk speak? When I started teaching in Manchester in the 60s I found it very prevalent in the children's writing back then, but they did speak it that way, so obviously that's the way they would spell it. It was almost impossible to eradicate. I thought it was just a Mancunian idiosyncracy, but now clearly not.

By the same token, Noreen, you could ask how *I was sat* and *I was stood* have become so prevalent? Those seem to have developed quite rapidly, and I've even heard a local Head Teacher use them on a daily basis with her pupils!! If all Heads are doing that, then.... :dontknow: I know language evolves, but those two phrases are not even grammatical.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 17:57 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

"I was sat" and "I was stood" are pretty standard Northern dialect, so I don't have a problem with them, but "would of" instead of "would have" is incorrect - it's "would've" being mispronounced as something completely different :roll: . I remember my best friend at school getting into trouble for writing "would of" instead of "would have" all through something at school, but "would've" and "would of" sound so similar that it's no wonder kids get confused.

This is an old chestnut, but I am so fed up of seeing apostrophes where they don't belong :banghead: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 10:49 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

MaryR wrote:
By the same token, Noreen, you could ask how *I was sat* and *I was stood* have become so prevalent? Those seem to have developed quite rapidly, and I've even heard a local Head Teacher use them on a daily basis with her pupils!! If all Heads are doing that, then.... :dontknow: I know language evolves, but those two phrases are not even grammatical.
I don't know, Mary - as Alison commented, it's standard in a number of dialects, so perhaps has come with the wider acceptance of regional accents. I suppose it's a good example of the complicated nature of English, too, since "I was seated" is correct!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 12:40 

Annied wrote:

Ah yes, that ranks nicely alongside "There is a lot of weather about tonight..."

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 22:53 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Jennie wrote:
I'm still waiting for answers from certain newspapers whose journalists have obviously never heard of the comparison of adjectives and adverbs.

RIP English Grammar.

I worked for on my local newspaper's copy desk for more than a decade. In that time, staffing fell by about half and most of us were doing the job of two or three different people every night. We also took on additional digital duties as the internet and social media became more prevalent. We were expected to meet the same deadlines and perform the same level of work as before, but with fewer and less experienced (ie. cheaper) workers.

I don't know what the newspaper industry is like in your area, but if it's anything like a lot of newspapers in the U.S., it's not that journalists don't know grammar, it's that they are trying to produce and edit at unsustainable rates. Our readership would rag us when typos and grammatical errors published in stories, but the sad truth was we were trying to do at least twice the amount of work as usual in the same time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 18:35 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

I've just read a book in which horses and riding play a prominent part - and in which people wear "jhodpurs" all the way through...

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 17:24