Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 28 May 2018, 04:11

Post subject: Help identifying a painting!
PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 18:25 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

I am trying to identify the artist and name of the painting which features on one of the Virago editions of Elizabeth Taylor's book The Devastating Boys. This one rather than the newer edition with a vase of flowers on it. Virago have failed completely (are they are new company now?) to help so I am turning to the collective knowledge of the CBB in the hope that someone may either possess the book so can check the information about the cover which is within each Virago publication, or that someone will recognise the painting.

I am minded to use it in a background for my neighbour's 101st birthday present but I would like to know if it is extracted from a larger canvas.....

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Help identifying a painting!
PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 18:36 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

When I did a google image search for the cover, one of the entries comes up with 'Paul Bailey' as well as Elizabeth Taylor - I don't know if that is worth further exploration ...

Most of what I've found here is landscape, but you never know...

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 20:09 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Thanks Ruth - you got a step further than I did anyway! I have emailed Paul Bailey so fingers crossed....

In the meantime if anyone else has any ideas they will be gratefully received!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 21:14 
Lamenting the amount of work

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank - who would have thought that there were so many paintings featuring blue chairs?

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 21:15 
Exams...
Exams...

cestina wrote:
Thanks Ruth - you got a step further than I did anyway! I have emailed Paul Bailey so fingers crossed....

In the meantime if anyone else has any ideas they will be gratefully received!

I think Paul Bailey is a bit of a red herring, he seems to have written the introduction rather than produced the jacket art. He's featured as a writer elsewhere on Amazon books. I suppose it's a reasonably common name so there could easily be more than one of them.

I did find an interesting article about Virago commissioning textile designers to produce cover art for some of their books, so it could be that it was painted specifically for Virago.

Whatever the answer is, what a nice idea to use it as part of a birthday present.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 23:12 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

You are right Annied - it's not Paul Bailey. He emailed back straight away saying it was not his painting.

So now I will just hope that someone on here has a copy of this edition, or I will buy one on-line if I decide to pursue it further.

Thanks for responses so far....

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 09:27 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Oh well, worth a try - and glad he got back to you straight away. Thought it looked a bit too mid-century for him, and I suppose it isn't an uncommon name ... I'll crawl back into my hole now!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 17:10 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

No need for that Ruth - it gave me a chance to see some of his landscapes which I like very much.

You are right about the blue chairs Noreen, I too found that when I first googled!

Interesting about the specially commissioned work Annied, it could well be that. Apparently all the Virago archives are held off-site I am now being told, and they can't easily access them. Seems strange to me, but there you go.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 11:36 
Exams...
Exams...

I just tried a reverse image search, but it didn't bring anything up other than sites selling the book.

What I did stumble across was an Irish artist called Mainie Jellett, who certainly designed some Virago covers. A google image search of her work doesn't turn yours up, but the few pictures that aren't abstract aren't a million miles away from the style of it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 13:14 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

I was a little taken aback when first of all her abstract paintings appeared but yes, I do see what you mean about the non-abstracts. And looking at those images led me to Mark O'Neill who seems to like furniture and room settings very much. Some nice usable things there actually.

Thank you for continuing the search! I have now written to Scott of Furrowed Middlebrow since it occurred to me that he may well possess the book itself. He is obsessed by cover art...we shall see!

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 14:21 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Unfortunately this is one of the few Elizabeth Taylor novels I don’t have in this edition.

Virago are part of Hachette, not an independent company.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 15:42 
Exams...
Exams...

You're welcome and good luck with the search. I'm almost as curious as you now!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 May 2018, 00:02 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Yay! Scott of Furrowed Middlebrow came up trumps. He wrote: "Oh, I could absolutely kick myself. I did have a copy of that book, in that edition, but it was a victim of the eternal strife between my hoarding instinct and my instinct to maintain space for Andy and me to actually live in our apartment (aka my library). I picked up a copy of the Complete Short Stories when Virago released it and decided I didn't need the individual collections anymore. I regret it anyway, because the Complete Stories isn't very reader-friendly...

BUT, I have emailed a fellow blogger who posted a review and used that cover image, to see if she actually has the book. I also emailed a bookseller from Abe Books who seems to have that edition for sale, to see if I could coax them into looking and finding out the artist credit, but I haven't heard back yet. I tried to do some fancy googling of my own, too, but it seems that that might just be the one painting that hasn't yet been posted anywhere online! But I will let you know if I hear back from the blogger or the bookseller.

It's hard to believe Virago doesn't keep records of the art they use on their book covers without having to go into their archives and pull out the actual book. This is the digital age, after all, so it's not like they would have to have it in file cabinets..."

And I had hardly digested that when the fellow-blogger did indeed turn up trumps and she identified the painting as being part of one called "Love in the Mist" by Nancy Sharp, also known as Nancy Spender. I see from the wiki-link that she and I share an Alma Mater....

Annoyingly however I can find no trace of information about the full painting.

But thanks Scott! :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 May 2018, 09:29 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Scott is brilliant! And his connections are marvellous too - it was one of them that gave us the lead as to who could be the copyright holder for the illustrations in the book we will be reprinting later this year.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 May 2018, 09:37 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

I'm glad he was so helpful.

Quote:
I picked up a copy of the Complete Short Stories when Virago released it and decided I didn't need the individual collections anymore. I regret it anyway, because the Complete Stories isn't very reader-friendly...

This was my thought process too!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 May 2018, 19:49 
Exams...
Exams...

I'm so pleased you got there in the end, it just shows what a bit of determination can do.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 May 2018, 20:22 

I'm pleased to know that that's nigella - looks more like scabious to me! But yes, also pleased to know that you got the answer in fairly short order.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 28 May 2018, 04:11