Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 17:35

Post subject: Switzerland locations (EBD and EJO)
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018, 07:00 
Playing Impertinent Questions

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but as I am currently based in French-speaking Switzerland, I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of locations mentioned by EBD and EJO that I could visit? I seem to recall there was maybe a guide but I'm not sure?

I visited many of the Chalet School-related parts of German-speaking Switzerland several years ago and I'm only really able to do day trips on Sundays right now. I'm particularly interested in hearing what people have seen and done.

Thanks! :)

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Switzerland locations (EBD and EJO)
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018, 11:44 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Most of the EBD/EJO-related places are in German-speaking areas, unless I'm forgetting something. EBD does mention the VIth form going on a trip to the Italian-speaking area in Theodora, but we don't see it because Mary-Lou joins Vb's trip instead!

The French-speaking areas that come up are mainly the ones around Lake Geneva. Winnie Embury lives in Montreux. We don't really get to see Montreux, but it is mentioned. I'm trying to think where they are when they actually bump into Winnie, but I can't remember offhand! Geneva, Vevey and Lausanne are all mentioned, as well, although we don't really see them. Winnie gets off the boat at Nyon that day, but I don't know what's in Nyon apart from UEFA HQ :D . So it must have been somewhere on Lake Geneva!

I've been to both Geneva and Lausanne, and they were lovely (although expensive), but unfortunately they don't have associated CS adventures in the way that Lucerne, Zermatt etc do.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018, 12:00 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Twins of Castle Charming and Expelled from School are set near Lake Geneva IIRC [I'm not in the same place as my books at the moment]. Think Castle Charming might be Chillon?

And if you can get down into France itself, to Lake Annecy, there are several EJOs set in the town, and in/around Talloires across the Lake.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018, 14:44 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

abbeybufo wrote:
Twins of Castle Charming and Expelled from School are set near Lake Geneva IIRC [I'm not in the same place as my books at the moment]. Think Castle Charming might be Chillon?

And if you can get down into France itself, to Lake Annecy, there are several EJOs set in the town, and in/around Talloires across the Lake.

And Annecy is a really prettytown so it's worth a visit in its own right! A trip on the lake is good too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018, 14:59 
Toothache!
Toothache!

In Chalet School-land, there is also the 'senior Fifth's' Half term trip to the Valais region, which I think is also French-speaking, in The Chalet School and Richenda. Not sure exactly where that region is, but the town of Sion seems to be the centre of it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 08:21 

Thanks everyone! Talloires would definitely be of interest (friends will be coming down to Annecy at some stage) or Sion as they seem do-able from here! You've given me ideas of how to spend my birthday, thank you :)

And Alison, Nyon has some decent ice cream, a lovely town square and lake front with a very small castle (and not much else!) I hadn't remembered that Winnie got off there!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 13:03 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

roversgirl wrote:
Thanks everyone! Talloires would definitely be of interest (friends will be coming down to Annecy at some stage) or Sion as they seem do-able from here! You've given me ideas of how to spend my birthday, thank you :)

Camp Mystery by EJO is the main one set here, but bits of Biddy's Secret and Damaris Dances are in Annecy, with I think at least one trip on the lake with views of the Dent de l'Enfant mountain that is behind Talloires ... and if you can get hold of John and Erica Oxenham's lake of Dreams [EJO's father and sister] that is set in Talloires too - though the story is somewhat improbable...

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 17:59 

abbeybufo wrote:
roversgirl wrote:

Camp Mystery by EJO is the main one set here, but bits of Biddy's Secret and Damaris Dances are in Annecy, with I think at least one trip on the lake with views of the Dent de l'Enfant mountain that is behind Talloires ... and if you can get hold of John and Erica Oxenham's lake of Dreams [EJO's father and sister] that is set in Talloires too - though the story is somewhat improbable...

Oh fantastic, thank you! Will see if it's possible without a car. Camp Mystery is one of my favourite EJOs...

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 18:58 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

The lake boats go from Annecy to Talloires, and on round the lake & back to Annecy again. There are meant to be buses, but we were there just before the main season started, so the one we thought we would get wasn't running, which made the boat a better bet. It's quite a small village but the grassy area where the camp was meant to be is fairly obviously one of two places, depending on which building you identify as the inn where Maribel and the guides are staying - AND there is a Monks Path! You can see the castle Astrid took the twins to from the boat on the way back round the lake...

Here is a link to some of the photos we took - I've named them with what we thought they were according to the books...

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 20:42 

Thank you (for tips and photos!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 05:45 

Apologies for another post but I used to have somewhere a saved web page that listed the EJO locations (including Switzerland). Heading up to the German bit and was trying to confirm where the Swiss books are set if anyone still has that? Thanks! :-)

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 07:24 

Abbeybufo is the expert on all matters EJO :D , but Island to Abbey mentions Vevey and Finhaut for Expelled from School, and Murren or Kandersteg for the main Swiss series with Karen & Tazy & co - it suggests that EJO herself mentioned Murren, but that Kandersteg fits the descriptions in the books more closely. Hope that helps!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 09:44 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

As often the case, EJO takes elements from several places ...!

We didn't get to Wengen or Murren, but apparently they fit parts of the descriptions of the journeys, and EJO is known to have been to them both. Spiez is mentioned in AG At Home, when Joy is booking tickets for Ros to go out to her mother, and that is a delightful place, especially the Hotel Eden. The Hotel Erica, where EJO stayed in 1913, is still in existence as a building, but no longer a hotel, having been turned into 4 apartments. The manager of the Eden was able to point it out to us.

In Kandersteg there are a lot of elements that could come straight from the Tazy books - the train rushing at the tunnel entrance is a major one, and the International Scout Centre (or whatever it is officially called!) is in about the right place for EJO's description of the twin schools.

Chillon is apparently Castle Charming, and Vevey comes into Expelled from School, but we haven't done that trip yet - though others have.

ETA the EJO Society is revamping its website with a new web address, ejosociety.org and eventually this information will be available there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 13:37 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

CS locations list is in CS Encyclopaedia Vol. 4. pp54-59 under Trips and Excursions.

I'm really looking forward to a week in Interlaken at the beginning of June.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 16:24 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

I can recommend Lausanne, Roversgirl, and √Čvian across the lake. I wrote a huge passage in ND about Lausanne if you'd like me to copy it to you to give you some idea of it. I loved it when we visited, especially climbing up and up to the Cathedral.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 20:50 

Thank you all for all the feedback! I may make it to Kandersteg and Murren, if only because I should while here. abbeybufo, the detailed descriptions are very helpful, thank you! Mary R, Jools and I were in Lausanne at the end of 2018 and walked kilometres, including climbing up! It is indeed a beautiful place :-)

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 17:35