Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 15 Aug 2020, 16:51

Post subject: Re: Transcripts
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 18:20 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

It's very impressive that some people went to the effort of typing out entire books to make transcripts. But, sadly, against copyright, as you say. What about Librivox (out of copyright audiobooks) as well?̂ There may be some GO books on there, I don't know.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 04:23 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Katharine wrote:
It's very impressive that some people went to the effort of typing out entire books to make transcripts. But, sadly, against copyright, as you say. What about Librivox (out of copyright audiobooks) as well?̂ There may be some GO books on there, I don't know.

Librivox is a US site, so follows US copyright law - as of 2020, works published in 1924 and earlier are out of copyright. Some later works are out of copyright if the copyright wasn't renewed after 28 years, but this requires a lot more research and probably doesn't apply to many GO books.

Distributed Proofreaders Canada is starting to process EBD books, but none have made it to Faded Page yet. I've prepared the necessary files for Chalet School in the Oberland and I'm halfway through scanning The Chalet School at War. These are the only Chambers hardback books I have, and I'm not going to use any of the GGBP texts on principle.

If anybody can provide scans of other Chambers hardbacks, PM me. We don't need to type in text, optical character recognition programs such as ABBYY Finereader do an excellent first pass, then proofreaders fix any remaining errors.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 08:35 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

There are a lot of transcripts out in the ether, from the days before the likes of GGBP and the EJO society started publishing reprints. They vary tremendously in quality, some of the earlier software scanned ones are a bit ropey, probably the technology has improved now (although, some of the docuscanned genealogy stuff is also pretty ropey :D ).

But as many on this thread have said, they are illegal, depending on age and territory.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 15 Aug 2020, 16:51