Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 16:46

Post subject: Visiting Guernsey
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 18:03 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'm sure there must be a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find one! Has anyone got any details on where the places in Guernsey mentioned in Exile and the La Rochelle books "really" are? Also, has anyone got any tips on how easy it is to get around the island without having a car there, and where the best place to stay is?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Visiting Guernsey
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 18:13 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Like you, I'm sure this info must be somewhere but i've no idea where. It's been a very long day and my brain has given up. :?

The North West Chalet Group did a Guernsey trip a few years ago and i'm sure Anne would be able to help if you emailed her. I can't remember who else went.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 22:32 
Arguing with your guardian

I was there this summer but only for one night and we had three small children with us. We stayed in St Peter Port which was way more built up than I expected. We had our own car but I'd say if you were reasonably fit you could get about on bikes and that you might see more of the island that way though you can hire a car and the bus service is supposed to be fairly good. I thought it was beautiful once you got away from St. Peter Port , lots of narrow lanes and beautiful cliff top walks. I'd love to go back for a week without children and really explore!!
I love the book 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society' so it was nice to see places mentioned in that book as well as some chalet school places too like Jerbourg, Torteval and Pleinmont.
I posted a question on the cbb last year and got a couple of good responses from people who'd been there, can't remember who though!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 09:52 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I'd love to go too, so would be grateful for a thread about it :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 22:19 
End of term...again
End of term...again

I'm thinking of going for a few days next year too so any helpful information would be great! :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 12:54 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

I went to Guernsey with some friedns nearly three years ago and we had a great time. We stayed in a holiday cottage in St. Pierre-du-Bois and managed fine without a car. The bus service is really good during the week but not so much on Sundays and you can't get a taxi for love nor money on Sundays either, as we found to our dismay when we were stranded on the coast wih one of my friends feeling distinctly ill. All in all, it was a very CS sort of happening, but sadly no handsome doctors leapt in to save the day!

There's loads to see in St Peter Port (the castle, Victor Hugo's house, a NT sweet shop, the Guernsey tapestry, various museums) and there are various museums relating to the German occupation as well. There is also the Little Chapel, which is a must - look it up and you'll see why!

We did do a few CS related things - most of the places, such as La Rochelle and Lihou Island really exist, so they are quite easy to find.

If want any more details do PM me, I'll be more than happy to give you more info.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 13:58 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

We have just booked to go to Guernsey for a week in August (followed by a week on Jersey) and this has prompted me to re-appear on the board. My next job is to re-read the books relating to Guernsey and then start plotting our visits!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 00:32 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

arky72 wrote:
We have just booked to go to Guernsey for a week in August (followed by a week on Jersey) and this has prompted me to re-appear on the board. My next job is to re-read the books relating to Guernsey and then start plotting our visits!

Tough job! I jest but it can sometimes feel like one more thing to do! Still I rather fancy a trip to Guernsey.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 16:46