Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 16:10

Post subject: Re: EBD source material
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 22:24 
LucyP wrote:
One of EBD's characters described German as "a crack-jawed language." This is a phrase I have never heard in any other context till last night, when I was at the first full professional production of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Grand Duke" - and there was the exact same phrase, used by Julia Jellicoe. Are other people familiar with the phrase? Was it in common use in the early years of the century? Was EBD a closet Savoyard?

I'm familiar with it, although it's not really used these days. I have no idea of its etiology though!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 15:56 
Saying you only know three German words

I can't remember if I mentioned this a year or so back on a post in Lemon Biscuits, but the composer Elgar lived at a house named... "Plas Gwyn", (Hampton Park Road, Hereford) between 1904 and 1912... Whilst there, he wrote two of the P&C marches, and we know EBD liked them...
It's described as a large house, set back off the road, with enclosed grounds... Funny, that's how I've always seen Jo's Plas Gwyn! ;)

Cannot get over the blatant lifting from the First Violin and Mrs George etc though...

"...but remember for your guidance in hours of peril, that the soul of man is unconquerable; no pain, no ignominy from without, can ever crush or smirch it, however much spirit and flesh may suffer." Far Away Moses

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 11:34 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

While I was waiting for lunch to be served at the pub in Bawburgh yesterday, I was looking through the Eastern Daily Press and came across a tribute to Ken Hill, my art master from school, who has just died. He was evidently a fairly prolific painter, which didn't surprise me, but I subsequently find that not only was he a Guernsey man, but that he had translated two books of the Guernsey legends/stories written by Marjorie Ozanne (1897-1973) -.could she have been something of an inspiration for Elizabeth Ozanne, also a writer of Guernsey stories?

No, this 'link' is probably a red herring. The Maids of la Rochelle was first published in 1924, and Marjorie Ozanne's stories first appeared in The Guernsey Evening Press between 1949 and 1965. Though it's true that Marjorie Ozanne trained as a teacher in England, and I suppose she could just have met EMBD either then, or during the visit Elinor made to Guernsey; or perhaps if she also knew Elinor's one-time Guernsiaise colleague Miss le Poidevin. Otherwise it's Life imitating Art again!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 16:10