Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 17 Sep 2019, 05:52

Post subject: Dedications
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 02:35 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

I feel sure that this will have been covered at some stage, in which case this may well be a short topic directing me to an archive! However I thought it was worth asking, as I haven't come across the answer anywhere as yet.

I've recently been rereading some books for the first time since joining CBB, which makes me notice details that I didn't notice before. One of these details is the dedications at the beginning. I haven't as yet read any of the books about EBD other than a quick skim, but I thought this was probably a faster source of information - do we know anything about the people mentioned ? Is there a list made up anywhere with the dedications from each book and anything known about who they were and why they might have merited a dedication?

Thank you!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Dedications
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 07:03 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I'm sure there was a booklet done some years ago. Maybe by the New Chalet Club? I've just had a quick look at their website but can't see anything. I think it might have been called something like 'Dedicated to the One I Love'.

ETA I've just googled it and came up with this from Gill Bilski's website:

BRENT-DYER EM (assoc): DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE (by F Crosbie)
New Chalet Club Supplement 1 Winter 1996. 22 page booklet. The people behind EBD's Dedications

Visit http://www.encorebooks.co.uk and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/encorebooks for a wide selection of secondhand and new children's books (including ones published by GGBP, Bettany Press, Greyladies, The EJO Society, Books to Treasure and Fidra Books)

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 07:31 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Yes, I find the dedications interesting, too, Beecharmer - my eye was first caught by the one in A Chalet Girl from Kenya:

Quote:
For my god-daughter JOEY TIMMS (Josephine Mary Loyola Timms) with much love and best wishes for all her future from Elinor Mary Brent-Dyer

(I wonder if Joey Timms appreciated her Chalet connections?

I do have a list of the dedications (missing seven which are not in my copies) but haven't really done any further work on them yet. I'll happily post them here if it's of interest.
ETA Chalet titles only so far

Last edited by Noreen on 05 Oct 2012, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 07:58 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'm intrigued as to who the Madge Russell to whom The Maids of La Rochelle is dedicated was. She must have been someone very important to EBD for her to have given the CS's founder her name, but she isn't mentioned in Behind the Chalet School. If anyone knows, please please please tell me :lol: .

I wonder if Joey Timms was named after Joey Bettany :lol: . That dedication makes it sound as if she was a child when Kenya was written, making her a fair bit younger than Joey Bettany, and with a middle name like Loyola presumably she couldn't have had EBD as a godmother if she'd been born before EBD converted to Catholicism, so well after the CS began. EBD does make a few cryptic references to godparents choosing kids' names so maybe she chose Josephine Mary :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 08:59 
Presenting your school report

I'm sure I read somewhere - goodness knows where - that Madge Russell was a friend EBD had for a time but who seemed to drift out of her life at some point... I know that's really vague and probably not very helpful. I'll try to remember where I read it and see if there are any more details. :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 12:27 

There is a reference to Madge Russell in Helen McClelland's Behind the Chalet School, but it is only brief. She talks a certain amount about Elinor's friends and speculates that Madge Russell is the same as Madge Halliwell, and that if correct this would mean that Madge was the dedicatee of four books altogether. (The fourth was some years after the first three, so I suppose they could have been out of touch in between). HM also says that Elinor was formally received into the Roman Catholic church on 12 December 1930, so Joey Timms must have been born after that.

At least five of the CS books are dedicated to Elinor's mother; I would think that at least some of the dedications to Phyl/ Phyll/ Phyllis refer to Phyllis Matthewman, and at least one of the Sydneys to her husband Sydney Matthewman (who was Elinor's agent from about 1949 onward).

Some of the dedicatees have fairly distinctive names, like Cissie (A F J Warren-Swettenham) but others, like 'M' and 'N' may well be 'wrop in mystry' unless the article Caroline refers to explains them. I wonder if Joey Timms' third name is her confirmation name rather han one she was registered as, as I've never found anyone with the whole thing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 18:33 
Putting up a good show
Putting up a good show

I *think* there is one dedicated to E J Oxenham, though can't remember which one; certainly EJO dedicated one of her books to EBD.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 20:09 
Attending a prees' meeting

Elder in Ontario wrote:
I *think* there is one dedicated to E J Oxenham, though can't remember which one; certainly EJO dedicated one of her books to EBD.

Yes there is at least one - EJO is recorded as saying that she'd have to dedicate one to EBD now that EBD had done one to her ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 20:14 

Seven Scamps:
Quote:
Dedicated to Elsie Jeanette Oxenham whose friendship and books have given me such pleasure, and to whom I owe so much. E B-D

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 00:34 

ChubbyMonkey wrote:
I fear that someone is about to mention the book that makes us all envious...

*wipes away drool*

That sounds as though EJO wasn't quite as struck with EBD's books as EBD was with hers...

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 09:01 

Abi wrote:
ChubbyMonkey wrote:

*wipes away drool*

That sounds as though EJO wasn't quite as struck with EBD's books as EBD was with hers...

I've found the quote now - in Monica Godfrey's book about EJO, quoting a letter she wrote to her friend Doris Acland:
Quote:
I shall have to dedicate one to her because she's just done one to me, but I don't like her book much.

I don't know if EJO had read any of the previous La Rochelles, but I can understand her not being particularly keen on Seven Scamps in isolation.

I'm not sure which book EJO did dedicate to EBD - but it must be after 1927, when Seven Scamps was first published. At this point, when EBD had recently established the school/san connection, a situation that EJO had already used in her Swiss series, you can understand there may have been some coolness on EJO's part - but later inscriptions in the books she sent to EBD are affectionately worded, so the two evidently became better friends later.

Sadly all the EBD titles that she had sent to EJO were 'requested back by her publisher' [presumably Chambers] after both women's deaths, and the Dunkerley family complied. No one seems to know what happened to them. [And EJO's niece was really upset, as she had enjoyed them more that her own aunt's books!]

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 09:12 

How interesting - especially the implication that they were better friends later - thank you abbeybufo.

Quote:
Sadly all the EBD titles that she had sent to EJO were 'requested back by her publisher' [presumably Chambers] after both women's deaths, and the Dunkerley family complied.

What an extraordinary request - even if they were copies that the publisher had been asked to supply.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 10:56 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

abbeybufo wrote:
I'm not sure which book EJO did dedicate to EBD - but it must be after 1927, when Seven Scamps was first published. At this point, when EBD had recently established the school/san connection, a situation that EJO had already used in her Swiss series, you can understand there may have been some coolness on EJO's part - but later inscriptions in the books she sent to EBD are affectionately worded, so the two evidently became better friends later.

I believe it was Margery Meets the Roses, which was published in 1947.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 11:25 
Making up lost work
Making up lost work

[quote="KB"[I believe it was Margery Meets the Roses, which was published in 1947.[/quote]

Yes it was, just checked, it says "To Elinor Brent-Dyer, with love and all good wishes"

Elinor owned a large number of EJO's books, and several have inscriptions from EJO to EBD. Most of them are now in the Children's Collection at the University of Reading.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 11:45 
Making up lost work
Making up lost work

Noreen wrote:
There is a reference to Madge Russell in Helen McClelland's Behind the Chalet School, but it is only brief. She talks a certain amount about Elinor's friends and speculates that Madge Russell is the same as Madge Halliwell, and that if correct this would mean that Madge was the dedicatee of four books altogether. (The fourth was some years after the first three, so I suppose they could have been out of touch in between).

I did some checking on Madge Russell a year or so ago - this what I posted then -

By digging around on Ancestry, Google etc I've found this

Margaret Eileen Russell, born 12 May 1903 Wisbech
married Francis J Halliwell (b 1905) in Wesbech 1937
David R Halliwell born Wisbech 1940
Francis J Halliwell in phone book Wisbech 1948, then Birmingham 1954-1963, then Solihull 1970-71
Francis Halliwell d 1970 Solihull
Margaret Eileen Halliwell d 1985 Wolverhampton
David Russell Halliwell is a Company Director, three companies listed, Three Counties Agricultural Society, TCA Trading Ltd (which I think is part of Three Counties, same address), and Hereford Cathedral School. I couldn't find an exact address for him, but somewhere in Herefordshire. I wonder if David Russell Halliwell went to Hereford Cathedral School. Born in 1940, he'd have been 13 in 1953, which would be right age to be moving from Prep school - so perhaps the dedication coincided with this?? Could be that Elinor had lost touch with the family then connected again - which is what happened with Phyllis Matthewman.

So in 1924 when Maid was published, Madge Russell was presumably living in Wisbech since she was born and married there, can't remember if Elinor had any connections there??

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 16:00 

ivohenry wrote:
Quote:
I did some checking on Madge Russell a year or so ago - this what I posted then

Thank you for that - I remember that you'd done a trimmensely thorough job on it, but lazily didn't search for it. I should at least have referred to it!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 19:05 

ChubbyMonkey wrote:

Which book is this please? I am afraid I am completely confused. :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 19:47 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Clare W wrote:
ChubbyMonkey wrote:

Which book is this please? I am afraid I am completely confused. :shock:

Is it the one I just bought - at long, long last? Seven Scamps?

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 19:50 

I'm confused as well, Clare!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 20:33 

Ah yes, a certain sealpuppy, I believe ...

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 17 Sep 2019, 05:52