Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 16:20

Post subject: Tyrol in Winter
PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 18:41 
End of term...again
End of term...again

So there is a conference in my subject in the delightfully named Obergurgl valley in the Tyrol in November of this year, and I was wondering about going, and taking a "small" detour on the way back to perform my own long-delayed CS pilgrimage.

I'm just posting in a general info-gathering sense to ask what I ought to know about travelling to the Achensee/Obergurgl (OBERGURGL!) in the winter time. I have never had to deal with serious Weather before - I assume there will be Snow (and skiers) and I'd like to have some idea what to expect. Has anyone been in the winter months? Is it, as the L'Oreal advert would say, Worth It? I'm a big walker and so forth, but again, have never done so in snow. Would it be better to stay in Innsbruck or Jenbach and travel to Achensee for a visit one day, rather than spend the whole week there?

General advice would be very welcome! Thanks!

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Last edited by Finn on 01 May 2013, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Tyrol in Winter
PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 18:50 
Lost!
Lost!

I can't help you Finn, having never been but I totally think you should give yourself an early christmas gift of the 'detour'. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 20:10 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

We stayed just outside Innsbruck in January 2008, and made a day trip to Pertisau. It was snowy, and all we could really do was walk along the side of the lake, although partly this was due to my fairly recently wrecked ankle - if you're a keen walker with equipment you'd probably do better. We got a train to Jenbach, I think, and then a bus. We didn't have an awful lot of time because we had to wait for a tram down from our hotel to Innsbruck to get the train, so I suspect you can have a longer day if you start from somewhere else. I wouldn't think, unless you're a skier, that there's enough at Pertisau in winter to fill a week, lovely though it is. I'd stay in central Innsbruck and do the day trip, or stay a night or two in Pertisau and the rest somewhere else. It was definitely worth it though!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 20:15 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

There may actually not be any snow in November though Pertisau may be high enough to escape the dreary mud of the early winters over here (the Czech climate is very similar to the Austrian). I would check back through the weather reports for the past few years to see how likely it is that you will be encountering "serious weather" and what sort it is. The Pertisau tourist information should be able to tell you.

If you have the right clothing you should be fine even if there is snow. Alpine places are good at clearing roads and paths, trains still run, as do buses.

PS I detested Jenbach, not sure quite why though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 23:27 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

I was at the Achensee last Christmas, and yes, snow aplenty! (If you're a member of FOCS, I wrote an article about it for their May mag, but it focused mostly on Christmas and New Year happenings rather than just winter.)

Obergurgl is a lot higher than the Achensee and their ski season can begin in November so there is more likelihood of snow there than Pertisau at the time you will be visiting.

The best advice I can give is the stuff you've probably heard from lots of people: pack layers (and remember those thermals!), have really good walking/hiking boots, and carry an alpenstock to avoid knees or backside making hard contact with the ground. (I still have bruises on my knee even this much later.)

The problem you'll find with travelling to the Achensee/Obergurgl is getting there. Just doing a train search, you have to make at least one change between Jenbach and Obergurgl and the shortest trip is nearly three hours. Innsbruck to Obergurgl, on the other hand, is only two hours by train with one change. I wouldn't recommend staying at the Achensee and travelling to Obergurgl each day because, adding in the 45 min bus trip to Jenbach, that's upwards of four hours travelling each way every day, and if you miss the last bus back, you'll be up for a 25 Euro taxi trip. Whether you want to base yourself at Innsbruck is up to you, but remember that the days are pretty short so you will be doing most of your travelling in the dark.

I suggest you set aside a day or two (or even more if you have money/time) and visit the Achensee at the beginning or end of your trip so that you can fully enjoy it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 23:35 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Thanks, KB. The idea was to do the conference, then move on to Innsbruck and thence to Achensee, which should make the travelling more manageable.

Thanks for the advice, folks! I shall get myself armed with all the above and plot my journey carefully. Time to start saving pennies!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 May 2013, 12:52 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

We drove over to Pertisau in February (2006 I think), they handle snow so much better than the the UK and even though it was snowing and there was a lot of snow on the ground, all the transport was running and the roads were all cleared.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 11:08 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

I went to Pertusau 3 years ago just after New Year. I would suggest staying for a couple of nights if you can. Otherwise you spend too much time waiting around for public transport! Even though the little mountain train and steamship aren't running, the cable cars are and you can do a sleigh ride as well if there's snow. If not, I suspect you can do the same trip by horse and cart!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 12:10 
Saying you only know three German words

I was in Innsbruck in Jan 2004 and there was a lot of snow but luckily for me quite sunny. Unfortunately I was only there for a night as I was on a tour and I also couldn't convince the person I was travelling to go for longer. We did do a horse a cart ride though and had an absolutely massive snow fight which made me feel quite like a CS girl. I so wish I had longer and that I had been able to go to Achensee. I say go for it. You might never get another chance.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 14:04 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

We spent the first week of 2011 in Pertisau and Salzburg. The snow seems little barrier to anything in Austria (although the mountain railway doesn't run) and we had a wonderful time. There are several marked trails (Winterwanderwege) including around the Barenbad (Karwendelalm - get the cable car up) and we walked along the lake path to the Dripping Rock without much difficulty, although decent footwear is essential. We treated ourselves to the Hotel Rieser, which was outrageously sybaritic, following a recommendation on here.
Just in case you needed further temptation:
http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=635896754

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 01:12 

Finn, did you ever go? I seem to have brought the thread to a full stop.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 01:13 
End of term...again
End of term...again

I didn't, in the end. Things didn't work out properly (and a jolly good thing they didn't, as just before I would have gone, I got labyrinthitis and have been ill ever since!)

Thanks for all the advice, though, and I'll bear it in mind for a future holiday.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2013, 14:02 

Very sorry to hear about the labyrinthitis -my brother has been suffering with that recently and it sounds very nasty, especially for a musician. I hope yours is being properly treated and proving less intractable.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 21:46 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Thanks, Jane! It was way less bad than the dose I had in February, and there was no tinnitus this time round hurrah. But it was still on the nasty side. Much better now, though!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 16:20