Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 00:27

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: GGBP News 2
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 23:22 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

tartan-belle wrote:
Laura V wrote:
Princess is now listed as the next CS publication

Thanks Laura!

I, personally am disappointed as I already have this in a very nice hb edition but hopefully something else might come up that I will buy - and I haven't yet bought Mystery or pre-ordered the Encyclopedia so they will keep me going.

I think they are trying to balance the series by doing a few earlier ones, particularly as their recent ones have mostly been from the latter half of the series (Triplets, Barbara, Jane, Oberland, Mary Lou, Does It Again, Redheads) and only three earlier ones (Head Girl, Lavender, Jo of) going back to 2011. In fact there is a very clear pattern of one early series with several later ones.

Also, while people may have hardbacks, they may not have editions with all of the illustrations included.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 15:33 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

I wish they'd do more of the Tyrol ones - it's not like there won't be market.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 18:44 
Reserving an embroidered picture

I am enormously pleased to see "Sister of the Angels" by Elizabeth Goudge. I've only ever read this book once - many years ago - and I have never seen a copy since.

It is a slight book in length but I shall be looking forward to it as one of my Christmas reads this years

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 19:56 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

Lesley wrote:
I suppose it's because those books were printed in far greater numbers than the Swiss ones - but yes , it must be frustrating for any of you who are still missing any of the first fourteen, especially as they [i]are/i] such favourites.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2014, 00:16 

Noreen wrote:
Lesley wrote:
I suppose it's because those books were printed in far greater numbers than the Swiss ones - but yes , it must be frustrating for any of you who are still missing any of the first fourteen, especially as they [i]are/i] such favourites.

I have all the books but in paperback so with cuts - would be nice to have them uncut.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2014, 02:53 

They've done a few of the Tyrol ones now:

School at (2005)
Jo of (2011)
Princess (upcoming)
Head Girl (2013)
Camp (2010)
New House (2008)
New (2009)

That leaves:
Rivals
Eustacia
and Jo
Exploits
Lintons
Jo Returns

Since they are all either uncut or minor cuts, it's not surprising they have been left until later.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 08:40 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

KB wrote:
They've done a few of the Tyrol ones now:

School at (2005)
Jo of (2011)
Princess (upcoming)
Head Girl (2013)
Camp (2010)
New House (2008)
New (2009)

That leaves:
Rivals
Eustacia
and Jo
Exploits
Lintons
Jo Returns

Since they are all either uncut or minor cuts, it's not surprising they have been left until later.

Yes but both New and Camp are apparently virtually uncut. Though I'm glad to have read the former in HB, the PB Camp did'nt feel choppy and apparently has only one passage removed according to the librarything thread I mentioned before. FWIW I'll never have full confidence in what focs say about cuts,
though any republishing is clearly a good thing. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 11:29 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Perhaps the logic behind publishing New was that United isn't all that easy to get hold of in paperback? For some reason which presumably made sense to the people at Armada, New was published in the 1970s and United almost a decade later. I didn't even know that New was only half a book until I found United in a book shop.

I do feel a bit sorry for Ann and Clarissa as, whatever they decide to publish, someone criticises them. When they reprinted The CS and Robin, we had two threads on here - one was asking for a reprint and the other was complaining about it.

From a purely selfish point of view, I'd like to see more non-Chalet EBD titles as I have all the Chalets. It seems quite a while since the last one. I'm pleased that they've announced The Grenville Garrison for later in year as it's been ages since their last Gwendoline Courtney.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 17:36 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Oh, brilliant, I love Gwendoline Courtney. I'll definitely get that one. I like Clare Mallory too but as I don't know what books she wrote, I might already have all of them!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 18:28 
Lost!
Lost!

JB wrote:
I do feel a bit sorry for Ann and Clarissa as, whatever they decide to publish, someone criticises them. When they reprinted The CS and Robin, we had two threads on here - one was asking for a reprint and the other was complaining about it. .

I wasn't trying to rag on them - they do a fantastic job of re-printing and as the saying goes "you can't please all the people all the time" which I think is apt to describe the job and decisions they make in choosing which books to do next. I was only meaning that for my own collection I am disappointed because I have a nice HB edition of it. And when you've put up the list of Swiss/Tyrol re-prints it makes a bit more sense as to how they are choosing titles. I'm sorry it came across as an attack on the GGBP - because that wasn't my intention.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 20:41 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

^I was'nt really criticising GGBP either, just
wondering what their republishing logic is.
Forgot that the easiness or not of finding a book could be a factor as well as cuts.
From a non-CS point of view I wish they'd republish the Balcombe Hall books, there are
only three of them.
Also the heavily cut Cargo of Horses by
Monica Edwards. Even though I did find an affordable original hardback.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 22:00 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

GGBP have lost the Clare Mallory reprinting rights (they never had them in the first place).

Top | End

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 22:08 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Mia wrote:
GGBP have lost the Clare Mallory reprinting rights (they never had them in the first place).

Ooops

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 22:11 

I know, lol. I meant to add that Margin Notes Books are reprinting her. Lisa of MNB is a member on here.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 10:46 

I didn't mean to imply that people were criticising GGB just that we all want the titles we don't and we're all missing different titles. The logic of printing one early for several later titles makes sense.

The availability of titles was definitely a factor in their decisions - they've published all the later titles which were uncut or virtually uncut in Armada but which were very hard to get hold of as they'd only been printed once. I'm surprised they haven't yet published Trials as it's heavily cut but it is very easy to get hold of so maybe that's why they haven't.

I'd be surprised to see them publish the Balcombe Hall books, Katharine as the first two aren't hard to find. I bought a copy of the second one a few weeks ago and then realised I already had one. Luckily, I only paid £2.50 and not the £100 that an optimistic seller keeps asking on EBay!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 23:46 

JB wrote:
The availability of titles was definitely a factor in their decisions - they've published all the later titles which were uncut or virtually uncut in Armada but which were very hard to get hold of as they'd only been printed once. I'm surprised they haven't yet published Trials as it's heavily cut but it is very easy to get hold of so maybe that's why they haven't.

The other side of their thinking is the business element - if they publish all of the hard-to-get titles at once, they will lose all of the market who only wanted those and thus can't tempt them with other titles/authors. It's a difficult balance.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 09:31 

I've heard that before, KB, but I don't think it's a great strategy. Imagine if you wanted to buy carrots and went to the supermarket and they told you they didn't want to lose their carrot customers so have a cauliflower instead... I think people are more likely to lose interest in the CS and not buy the books because of the long wait. A lot of people have drifted away from the CS over the last ten years.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 00:46 

The better supermarket analogy is to think of there being a limited number (indeed finite) number of carrots.

As a supermarket you have a choice. You can sell all the carrots as fast as possible then announce that you have no more carrots OR you can ration your carrots to a few per customer (or occasional sales of carrots) and hope that the customer will fill the vegetable gap with cauliflowers.

Since you, as a supermarket, make your money from people returning again and again, your selling strategy for maximum profit is the second. Once you have sold all your carrots, the carrot-lovers will go elsewhere. If you sell the carrots in small quantities then those people will keep coming back to see if you have more carrots, and with any luck, will find that they also like cauliflowers and so you sell more cauliflowers too.

I was told about GGBP by a friend who was looking for Monica Edwards "Romney Marsh" books and knew I bought EMBD. Since I've been buying from them, I have bought the "Dimsie" short stories which I am pleased to have (and wouldn't have ever thought about if I hadn't seen them in the catalogue) and the "Marlow" continuation book. I have been given at least one non EMBD from GGBP as a present.
That seems to me to suggest GGBP have got their strategy right - I came for EMBD: I don't buy every EMBD but I do buy the occasional other book.

There's also a second thing about printing too many of the very desirable ones at once and that's customers being able to buy. There are a lot of people here who indicate that they have to save up/can't afford a book now/hope to be given it for Chrsitmas. Even if GGBP could have in print all the books we all want, would we be able to buy them? By stringing then out, GGBP make sure they aren't going to be left with unsold books - and we have a chance to actually buy what we want.

(And after all that: I'd really be very interested to see the sales stats. but then I like those kinds of numbers)

Editted for minor typos (and yes, I know that "editted" is deliberate)

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 02:41 

Yes...That's the strategy KB has already spelt out.

GGBP started out printing the books out of love for the genre, and wanting it to survive or so they said. Now is it about maximising profit, as you point out? The rationale has changed then.

If they were worried about people not being able to afford the books they could price them more cheaply and maybe downgrade the quality. I don't think they are worried about people not buying... It's quite a captive market. Also with fillers the market is limitless. It's a shame they were ripped off over the ebooks & lost money but they did well to try something new.

I think we all got spoilt when they printed a glut of them a few years ago for various reasons. Armada only published them in stages after all. I bought them between the ages 8 and 20 when they published the holiday Chalets so 12 years, possibly more.

People tend to get quite emotive about GGBP but at the end of the day they are a business and therefore presumably would welcome some constructive feedback about what their customers would like to see even if it's impossible to deliver.

I will buy them to complete my collection, happy to wait, but I have them already in one format or another so I am not personally bothered or emotional about it. I'm not really a collector type. I do know however a lot of people who don't buy anymore because they've lost interest which seems bad news for GGBP to lose out on sales.

Also not wanting to sound too harsh but the market for CS books is shrinking as readers are getting older and sadly dying off :( so if they wait years to sell their carrots then people might want kale instead!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 09:16 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

It's a shame they were burnt over the ebooks since I suspect that as ereaders take over many of us would like to buy kale (=ebooks :) ). I'd love to be able to take the whole series with me all the time.

I would never give up the paper collection but I can see a time when those of us who love a particular author would be more than happy to have both versions available. (Heyer comes to mind for me. I know she's out there on Amazon but I gather there are currently so many mistakes in the books that they make for annoying reading.)

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 00:27