Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 12:06

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: GGBP News 2
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 09:31 
Giving a Junior an order mark

cestina wrote:
It's a shame they were burnt over the ebooks since I suspect that as ereaders take over many of us would like to buy kale (=ebooks :) ). I'd love to be able to take the whole series with me all the time.

I would never give up the paper collection but I can see a time when those of us who love a particular author would be more than happy to have both versions available. (Heyer comes to mind for me. I know she's out there on Amazon but I gather there are currently so many mistakes in the books that they make for annoying reading.)
I was thinking something along those lines - maybe at some point the answer could be to try a 'subscription' issue? E-books would be searchable, too - a huge benefit for CBBers struggling to find that elusive reference...

I gather that the number of mistakes in e-books and print-on-demand books is often down to scanned text not being properly checked (if at all) :roll:

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 11:10 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Just to add I meant to say the product was limitless not the market! Too late to type properly!

CM, I think they may have made the covers a bit thinner. One of the most recent books, might have been that CS World book by Helen whatsit seemed to bend quite easily. But I completely agree with you - I want a matching set

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 19:57 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

ChubbyMonkey wrote:
*retreats back into own weird corner*

<Welcomes CM to the weird corner>
I'm just the same!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 20:10 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Jayne wrote:
ChubbyMonkey wrote:
*retreats back into own weird corner*

<Welcomes CM to the weird corner>
I'm just the same!

This weird corner is getting crowded. Personally I don't have Princess so am very happy with GGBP

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 13:41 

My personal GGBP spreadsheet suggests 18 still to print, and 14 out of print that I don't have :(

I must admit to being quite confused over the numbering. I have

"... and Barbara" - GGB is CS30 and Armada is 34
"... Does It Again" - GGB is CS32 and Armada is 35

Which leaves me wondering where "Tom Tackles..." fits in? :-s

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 14:26 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

ChubbyMonkey wrote:
Thanks Jayne! I shan't think about the cost...

I think that when I look at the bookcase full of GGBs (and which doesn't include EBD).

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 23:20 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Has anyone else noticed that GGBP have changed the size and font of the text? Compare an early ish GGBP with a 2014 version and you'll see what I mean. It's a tiny difference for most people but I loved the fact GGBP had a clear font...it took me twice as long to read Feud in the Fifth because of the font.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 00:28 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

I agree with Mia. I think their strategy on this is flawed given that their target market is ageing (as indeed A&C are). A few years ago I just bit the bullet and bought the last couple of books I needed to complete my CS collection. They cost more than a GGB would - but if I hadn't done that, I'd still be waiting to complete my collection - perhaps even another ten years! I wanted to have all of them, and I'm not bothered that I have a mixture of hardbacks, Armada paperbacks and GGB.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 08:15 

I'm another who isn't bothered by non-matching books - but I do mind passionately about having complete texts, so all my Armadas etc were replaced as a priority (yes I know there's an extra bit in one paperback but at least I've read it).

This was before GGBP had really got going, so my only option was the Chambers hardbacks, which - guess what - turn up in a considerable variety of appearances. I think I'm right in saying that the last ten or so CS books were only ever printed once, and are 7½ inches tall with blue boards (the appearance of the spines without dust-wrappers varies even so), so that would be the version to hunt for if you wanted all matching in hardback. But I'm fairly sure that they never reprinted everything in that format, even leaving aside the fact that Rosalie was only ever a paperback anyway.

So as far as I can make out, GGBP is the only option for anyone who wants a truly matching set, since even the non-GGBP paperbacks varied in appearance. My sympathies, chaps (I'm not without OCD habits myself), but those of you who want matching sets really have set yourselves a hard task there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 09:40 

I agree with Mia and Liz. It's 13(?) years since GGB started reprinting the CS and I think it's a shame that people are still waiting for difficult to find/heavily abridged versions. The strategy is flawed for me too as I'd like a full set of Gwendoline Courtney. There's a two year gap between Sally's Family and the Grenville Garrison, which is due out this autumn. In that gap, GGB have started to publish Phyllis Matthewman (and I'd like to buy those) but it would be good to complete an author.

Noreen, I have almost a full set of hardbacks (only 2 missing) and they look similar enough on the shelf. I have three that don't match - a 1930s reprint of Camp which is very thick, a library rebind of Tom (which I'd like to replace one day) and a 1980s Princess (ditto). Like you, I'm not bothered about whether books match. I have far too many for matching sets to be possible - and it wasn't as if I was going to leave the early edition of the New Abbey Girls I found in a charity shop because most of mine are Seagulls!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 10:00 

JB wrote:
Noreen, I have almost a full set of hardbacks (only 2 missing) and they look similar enough on the shelf. I have three that don't match - a 1930s reprint of Camp which is very thick, a library rebind of Tom (which I'd like to replace one day) and a 1980s Princess (ditto). Like you, I'm not bothered about whether books match. I have far too many for matching sets to be possible - and it wasn't as if I was going to leave the early edition of the New Abbey Girls I found in a charity shop because most of mine are Seagulls!
With you on most of that, JB - though I'm not going to replace ex-library rebindings unless another copy falls into my hands for a truly bargain price. My own complete set of CS hardbacks varies quite a bit, though the differences are a lot less obvious if they have dust-wrappers - or you make replacements!

But I wonder whether the relatively small amount of variation you've described would do for those who want matching sets?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 10:11 

You're right about DWs, Noreen. Most of mine have DWs or copy DWs and they are very similar. My copy of Tom is quite small and the DW floats around on it. It certainly isn't a priority to replace it. There are so many books out there that I want and don't have!

I have been giving serious consideration to a hardback of The Cricket Term .....

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 10:34 

JB wrote:
I have been giving serious consideration to a hardback of The Cricket Term .....
That does seem to be quite a hard title to find in any edition, despite its having been paperbacked! Good luck...

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 10:40 

Noreen wrote:
JB wrote:
That does seem to be quite a hard title to find in any edition, despite its having been paperbacked! Good luck...

I do have the paperback but it's falling apart (the same thing happened to End of Term). Maybe that's why they're hard to find?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 11:54 

Possibly - that and it being so good!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 12:09 

Noreen wrote:
Possibly - that and it being so good!

It is very good and if I do splash out on the hardback, I'll be offering my tatty paperback to a good home.

What I meant was, as they tend to be in poor condition, charity shops would be unlikely to put them on the shelves and even, gasp, their owners might have thrown them away rather than donate them. :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 09:56 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Another fill-in just announced ... Champion of the CS

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 10:53 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

abbeybufo wrote:
Another fill-in just announced ... Champion of the CS

Ooh, it sounds like the Marilyn Evans term! What a fascinating approach to take!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 12:50 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

I wonder how much Marilyn it will actually have - it sounds more like the aftermath of Marilyn rather than during. I like the idea of Betsy Lucy and Peggy Burnett coming to the fore.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2014, 00:29 

Caroline wrote:
I wonder how much Marilyn it will actually have - it sounds more like the aftermath of Marilyn rather than during. I like the idea of Betsy Lucy and Peggy Burnett coming to the fore.

It's probably the easiest approach because it means not having to address all of the difficult part while Marilyn was Head Girl. I had been thinking of trying to write that period and always came up against the challenge of the school having to behave in a very un-Chalet-like way of letting everything go to pieces and not really doing anything to fix it. I dare say that was why EBD herself never addressed the issue of bad Head Girls, despite mentioning them several times in various books including the La Rochelle series.

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 12:06