Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 17 Aug 2019, 11:59

Post subject: Pertisau in the rain
PostPosted: 19 May 2014, 23:56 
Being told to stand on your own two feet

I'm stealing a couple of days from a work trip to visit Pertisau next week, and the forecast at the moment is calling for rain the entire time I'll be there. :cry: My vision involved glorious romps along the lake shore and hikes up the hills to enjoy the vistas .... anyone have any suggestion for less muddy pursuits?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Pertisau in the rain
PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 04:56 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

Take the boat to Achenkirche and visit the Sixenhofmuseum as well as seeing the Hotel Scholastika. In fact, just stay on the boat and you'll see many of the places named in the books including the Dripping Rock from a distance.

Stay in Jenbach and go to visit the church. The museum there is also excellent if you are there during opening times (Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 2-5pm).

In Pertisau go to the Information Desk and see the plaque.

Hotel Rieser offers horse-drawn carriages, which might keep you clean even if the horses aren't.

Take the cable cars up to the various mountains because, while it won't be completely clean, it's a lot cleaner than walking up yourself!

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 08:25 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

We went in May several years ago, and started with scorching heat (people swimming in the lake in bikinis), went through driving snow (made the mountains look gorgeous in the photos) and ended with a couple of days of drizzle.

At that altitude, the weather really does change rapidly (as EBD says!) and can be quite different in different places.

I'd second KB's recommendation of the Sixenhofmuseum for a taste of chalet life akin to the early CS days - it's the absolute classic proper chalet, it has the porcelain stoves, it has some great exhibits from the Achensee of long ago. Really enjoyed it. Innsbruck is really good on a wet day, too - sometimes it isn't wet down in the valley anyway, when it is up at Pertisau, and there's the golden balcony thingy and all the streets and churches and so on mentioned in the various trips in the early CS books.

My only concern about recommending a boat trip would be that if the rain is heavy it might be too misty to see very much across the water. The cable cars are a good idea, though, and might get you above the clouds - the cafe at the top of the "Barenbad Alm" (cable car Karwendelbahn, I think) should be open now, they do a great mug of wine..... We didn't go up the Rofanbahn from Maurach on the Sonnalpe side of the lake.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 13:05 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

I agree that the cable cars should be good for views despite the rain, but just for info, the Barenbad Alm is called that in real life - it's one of the names EBD didn't change. The cable car is the Karwendelbahn. SLOC also went up the cable car on the other side for one of his ridiculously long walks, and it was stunning. (I spent the day meeting someone from the GO mailing list and going to Scholastika.)

Even if it's wet, it's worth getting the steam train from Seehof to Jenbach. Some of the traisn are still the same one EBD would have used, and there is something quite surreal about going steeply up and down hill on a train!

Hopefully it won't be as wet as forecast, but I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time anyway. We went to Pertisau for our honeymoon and fifth anniversary, and we're intending to go back for our fifteenth, twenty-fifth etc. anniversaries. We spent the other half of our honeymoon in the Berner Oberland, so we'll be going there for our tenth and twentieth anniversaries!

My website - Joyful Jewellery

Joyful Jewellery on Facebook

[url=http://joyful-jewellery.myshopify.com/blogs/news/79806723-christmas-2015New blog post 28th November[/url]

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 13:20 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

If you are planning on having a boat ride, and going on the cable cars, it's probably worth getting an Erlebnis card. You can get one at the Tourist Information (when you've finished viewing the plaque). As well as unlimited rides on the cable cars, boat and train, it also includes entry to the Sixenhof (mentioned by KB above), the museum about St. Notburga at Eben, and the 'Tractor' museum near Seespitz, which has lots more than just tractors, including some lovely old photographs.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the weather for you, and I hope you have a lovely time. Keep an eye open for other CS fans - it's UK half-term, and I think some people could be there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 00:19 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Keep an eye on this website

It was very accurate when I was in Oberaudorf last month and spot on the day we went to Pertisau. They seem to be forecasting showers rather than non stop rain, and showers can be very localised, so it might not be as bad as you fear. Also, forecasts can change from day to day, so here's hoping the one for Pertisau changes for the better.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 02:24 

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone! Today's forecast is downgraded to "occasional thunderstorms" which is definitely better than "rain all day!" (I actually wouldn't mind an evening storm that rages around the lake for hours and hours after I return from a sightseeing expedition...)

For me, I'd be happy to just sit there and take it all in, but I'm travelling with someone who is familiar with CS but not a big fan, so I'm happy to have backup plans! Will keep you all posted on our trip (hoping my photos come out half as pretty as some of the ones I've seen from other folks).

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 07:46 
Attending a prees' meeting

Let us know how you get on! :D Paws crossed for weather which is OK...

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 May 2014, 21:21 

Posting from Pertisau.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've looked at pictures and spent a year watching webcams....but (as you know) the reality is so much more amazing!

We came up the cog railway and it started raining when we were about 2/3 of the way along (full on thunderstorm and driving rain), which subsided to showers on the boat, and by the time we had checked into our hotel, the sun had come out!

So far, we've gone up the Karwendel lift, and I discovered that I actually was here as a teenager!!! My father and I had come skiing one winter and took a wrong turning off the ski slope on top, ending up in a farmer's barn yard and walking the rest of the way back to the car park.

Had a lovely dinner at the Post Hotel and drinks at the really odd glass structure (I'd love to know how that was greeted in village meetings!). Tomorrow, weather permitting: boat trip and lift up the "Sonnalpe."

And my travel companion is getting a full CS refresher course!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 May 2014, 21:47 

Sounds great, Pado - glad you're enjoying yourself! And it's been raining most of the day where I am, anyway - cats not impressed!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 17 Aug 2019, 11:59