Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 11:22

Post subject: Re: Hotel Alpenhof - possible real Chalet location
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2014, 22:54 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

Caty wrote:
I think the law applies to the whole of the Austrian Tirol. I remember a colleague at work telling me about it.

Just looked it up- seems to apply to holiday homes rather than permanent ones
http://www.euroburo-tirol.com/property- ... -tirol.htm

I read quite a lot about it a couple of years ago when I was looking for my flat in the German Tirol. It's why I ruled out the Austrian Tirol altogether. A property has to be granted a special permit if it's to be used as a second home. How easy or difficult the permit is to obtain depends a lot on the part of Austria in which the property is. In Tirol it's almost impossible.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 08:34 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Stunning mix of items from across the decades. Hotel obviously still in use in 1961 and yet war years items still around. Seems any effort to sell it must have fallen through after the owners died and it was just left there, virtually intact. I'm always saddened to see buildings abandoned like this. Thanks for putting up this link

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 12:23 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

It's obviously the original chalet. I've spotted Mlle Lepattre's sewing machine, Matey's linen cupboard, photographs of the Bettany uncles and aunts and Madge's stash of Cinzano bottles.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 20:00 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

KB wrote:
(And then there are those (like me) who don't think that's the actual site of the building anyway... :mrgreen: )

Where do you reckon it is, KB? I think there is a great case to be made for - eek, I totally can't remember what it's called but it's a hotel/apartmenthaus on the lake and I stayed there in 2011 with a few other CBB people. It certainly fits the location as described in SCHOOL AT.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 21:41 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Mrs Redboots wrote:
KB wrote:
(And then there are those (like me) who don't think that's the actual site of the building anyway... :mrgreen: )

Where do you reckon it is, KB? I think there is a great case to be made for - eek, I totally can't remember what it's called but it's a hotel/apartmenthaus on the lake and I stayed there in 2011 with a few other CBB people. It certainly fits the location as described in SCHOOL AT.

After a lot of reading and contemplation and checking distances around the lake, I incline to the opinion of these ladies. I think the location of the school was meant to be the old farmhouse on the (almost) most western point of the Pertisau lakeside road. I also tend to think, as they did, that the Alpenhof was actually the model for Der Edel Ritter, the temporary school in Exile.

So, my reasons for thinking so, quite apart from the above article, come from various quotes from different books. Here are a few of my justifications for considering the farmhouse as the original site and plan of the school:

There’s a landing-stage just opposite, and the water’s quite shallow. (School at) As can be seen in one of the photos on the above website, the farmhouse stands exactly opposite a landing-stage. The Alpenhof is a much greater distance from the water. The Chalet's nearness to the lake is constantly referred to. See below.

From the landing-stage to the Châlet was a good ten minutes’ walk (School at p52) This one is very telling. The Alpenhof is, at most, two minutes' walk away for a healthy party of schoolgirls. The farmhouse is quite a distance away from it, almost the proscribed time, in fact.

‘They were standing on the lake-path, by the bushes, and staring at the Châlet like – like anything.’ (Jo of p38) Standing on the lake-path as it was then (which I believe is the footpath today) you wouldn't see the Alpenhof, not just because of the distance but because, at the time, it was surrounded by its own park with very large trees. The farmhouse, on the other hand, is completely exposed.

We are very near the shore here, and the water is never more than a few inches below the path. (Jo of p70) As per the above, if the school were on the site of the Alpenhof, this would simply not matter, but it would to a building as close to the lake as the farmhouse stands. Keep in mind that this reference is not to the flood but to the wild storm that tosses the water around and makes the walk so interesting when the girls think about discussing the Chaletian.

She also pointed out that the Kronprinz Karl lay much nearer the stream, and also that it lay at a lower level than the Châlet…(Jo of p286) A major point, this one. While the Fuerstenhaus does lie nearer the stream, the Alpenhof is actually on about the same level from a height perspective. If, however, the level refers to the location on the buildings in relation to the river, the Fuerstenhaus and the Alpenhof are much closer to the river and stand at much greater risk than the farmhouse. See below for the flood details.

Miss Bettany no longer doubted that the torrent would flood—it most certainly would. But she hoped that the fact of the Chalet being rased above the rest of that part of the valley would tell in its favour and save them. There was quite a deep dip between them and the river, and this would help to carry off some of the waters. (Jo of p291-292) While the farmhouse does indeed stand apart from the rest of Pertisau, the Alpenhof is in the dead centre of the triangular spit of land and would be unlikely to be any safer than anywhere else.

A key point for me does not have a quote specifically referring to it, but can be gathered from various details about the flood. This is what we are told:

Quote:
Her eyes were turned toward the valley where, coming with a swift, relentless sweep, a wall of water, fully six feet high, raced across the pasturage to the lake.

In a flash she realised what had happened. The torrent had been choked somewhere up in the mountains. This accounted for the river’s falling. Then the barrier, whatever it was, had given way, and the great mass of the water had been literally hurled down to the valley below.

Even as the thought passed through her mind the wall broke around the Kronprinz Karl, which for a few moments was smothered in the foam. Then it raced, lower, but still horrible to watch, right across the valley to the Chalet.

Examining the Pertisau using Google Maps, it is possible to see that the location from which the water would break into the area has it travelling in a line that suggests it would hit both the Alpenhof and the Fuerstenhaus at almost the same time. The farmhouse, being further away to the south, would give it the few more seconds EBD describes above.

Now admittedly there are also arguments for the Alpenhof being a more likely situation. For instance:

There was a big Châlet there which would be topping. It was not too far from the lake; fairly near the steamer, and yet it was away from the paths. (School at) While the Alpenhof is quite a distance from the paths, the farmhouse is on the current road and not far from the lakepath. However quite a lot of later references (see above) talk about how the school is right on the lake, or very close to it, so EBD may have forgotten this.

The Chalet was a very large wooden building which had been designed for a hotel. The Alpenhof is obviously a hotel, while the farmhouse, equally obviously, is not. However the wooden structure of the farmhouse is more obvious than that of the Alpenhof, which has been more thoroughly rendered.

Luckily, they did not do that, though in the general hurly-burly they went right past the Chalet and came up to the Stephanie, one of the hotels open for the winter, where the lights, gleaming through the snow from the windows, warned them that they had gone astray. (Rivals p86) This is a slightly questionable 'proof' but it seems unlikely that the girls would walk for possibly up to half-an-hour before realising they had gone too far and turning back. The Stephanie, however, was located immediately next door to the Post and thus would have been seen much sooner were the school located at the Alpenhof. (The question of why there were no lights visible from the Post is an interesting one.)

So that's my argument. Probably other people have different ideas as well, but it's fun to guess!

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 10:09 

Thanks for a lovely reply and the link KB! Of course the farmhouse was used on the Armada paperbacks too, which may be relevant.

Buying and restoring the farmhouse as a home is almost viable, thought the article seems to suggest it's part of a working farm :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2015, 14:25 
Arguing with your guardian

I think this is a much better contender for what inspired EBD and on re-reading the books, the position seems right too. https://tiernsee.wordpress.com/the-school/

We visited Achensee this summer and it's so brilliant to re-read the books and picture the actual places - so odd to be somewhere new yet have a good idea of the geography already!

The tale of our holidays, if anyone's interested! http://accessibilityreviews.org/accessible-holidays/

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 22:54 

Hanna wrote:
Maybe we could pool together and buy this incredible piece of time stood still..

We were in Pertisau last week and as usual we wandered around the outside of the building - discussing the building architecture and structure and guessing as to the history and reason for decline of the Alpenhof. Here are a few thoughts.

It's in very much worse condition than even last time we were there - the guttering at the front centre has come off and the timber frame of the building is beyond repair in places (SLOC's professional opinion). Though why it is still standing when it's about the first building you see arriving in the village is a mystery - although I'm fond of it, it's a bit of an eye-sore, and the rest of the village is so tidy and well-kept.

It's a very sad looking building, but there is something about it which is endearing. I noticed a few new things this trip. In the winter months the building is never in the sun - the mountains cast shade over it all day. In comparison most of the rest of Pertisau is in sunshine for parts of the day. Looking down on Pertisau from the Karwendelbergbahn it's looks like there is a definite development area - there's a tightly packed strip of hotels all on the other side of the valley, well away from the Alpenhof.

Also the concrete/rendered extension on the front left is really ugly and detracts terribly from the building and spoils what was once a fairly grand entrance. I'm wondering whether (like the Midland in Morecambe) it had a series of owners, gradually going downhill until it closed?

I also noticed that the architecture, especially the woodwork is very similar to the Villa Edelweiß in the centre of the village - even down to the same mustard and red paintwork, the same split shutters, etc.

While the front of the building was quite pretty, the rear of the Alpenhof has brutal render and is not like any other building in the village. It has the same timber-frame with concrete fill as a 1895 flat I used to live in, so I'm guessing it's a similar age - built before reinforced concrete.

Compared to the nearby Post Hotel then height of the floors seems much greater than other hotels, and it has significantly fewer rooms than similar hotels of the same size - with at most 2 and a half floors of guest rooms. This suggests it couldn't have been competitive with other hotels that were built later with more economic layouts.

Saving the Alpenhof now would seem almost impossible now. But if it were demolished and I was on hand I might well buy a piece of balcony to fix to our house and hang my plumeaux out in the morning. There seemed to be a fair amount of the concrete crazy golf course still there (under the snow) and somehow that has an appeal!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2016, 12:52 
First Lesson
First Lesson

Although we did manage to take a very romantic picture of the back view through the mist and its fringe of trees in the early morning!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 15:56 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

On our visit to Pertisau last May we were entirely convinced by the Tiernsee blog's conclusions, both about the Chalet location and the Sonnalpe. It does add a great deal to visiting what is a glorious location in any case - but my husband did have to keep saying 'It's only fiction' :-)

I agree that the close ring of mountains makes the sun surprisingly elusive a lot of the time - although the lake path stays beautifully sunny all the was from the head of the lake.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 11:22