Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 02:43

Post subject: Re: Does anyone else have difficulty
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 15:15 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Because I was 'brought up in a cricket team' as I always used to put it [my father played and we went to all the home matches and most of the away ones every weekend] I was telling people the way to places by the pubs from quite an early age. One of my great-aunts was very shocked that I knew all the pub names for miles around!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 17:31 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

abbeybufo wrote:
Because I was 'brought up in a cricket team' as I always used to put it [my father played and we went to all the home matches and most of the away ones every weekend] I was telling people the way to places by the pubs from quite an early age. One of my great-aunts was very shocked that I knew all the pub names for miles around!

:D
My father also played, we got to know the way to various county grounds at an early age. Amazing how many pubs I recognised as a adult when traveling to various cities/towns.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 20:26 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Another problem with being a non-driver is that the route the bus takes isn't necessarily the one that a car would take.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 20:50 
Annoying your friends
Annoying your friends

Lottie wrote:
Interesting - in my mind the San and the School are the opposite way around, with Freudesheim on the San side of the School. Does EBD ever actually tell us anything about their relative locations?

Yes, I have Freudesheim on the San side of the school, too, the school itself on the right hand side of the Platz, the San at the other end at the top of the coach road, and Biddy and Hilary much nearer to the San. I think it mentions in one of the books that, when setting up the San, apartments/houses for the doctors were bought up quite near to it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2015, 10:01 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

I tend to go by visual clues when giving directions.

I remember at Uni noticing with amusement that most of my church-going friends gave directions using pubs as landmarks, whereas those who weren't often used churches as landmarks. One might have expected it to be the other way round! :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 23:11 
Learning all about Matey!

Actually the Platz is the only one I can imagine from my own memories. Several years ago I visited Bettmeralp (in summer) so that is what I think the Platz looks like. :D No idea if I'm accurate. :wink:
The rest are either a mixture of Poirot/Miss Marple or Sound of Music-ish.... though I suppose Tyrol could look a bit like the villages on the banks of Lake Lucerne (particularly with the handy steamer).

My biggest problem with the books is that I can't imagine the distances involved. I only know kilometres - and I'm pretty hazy on those too. I can work out running distances - but otherwise we drive everywhere (public transport is non-existent).

I'm not a very visual person and tend to gloss over the scenery descriptions in books...

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 13:44 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Sellenger wrote:
Another problem with being a non-driver is that the route the bus takes isn't necessarily the one that a car would take.

Nor would a car necessarily go the way a pedestrian would which is what I have to remember when a car stops and the people inside ask me for directions. I hate it when that happens. I don't drive and I don't travel much in anyone else's car so I can never instantly think of the right route to tell them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 14:08 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Yes, I tend to be unaware of things like one-way streets and parking.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 18:47 
Arguing with your guardian

With the Swiss and Welsh books I can picture bits (the school, Freudesheim, Round House) but not their geographical connection with each other - more like snapshots of the separate locations. But I did have quite a vivid image of Jo's drive to Armiford in Highland Twins and of Armiford itself. I recently had my first trip to that part of the country and it was exactly how I'd pictured it.

Somehow though I can picture the Tyrol setting a lot more clearly. I'm not sure why, except that those are my favourite part of the series. But then I'm never entirely sure whether I can see them more clearly because they're my favourites or whether I like them best ebcause they're so vivid...

With the Tyrol books not only can I see the settings but I can picture walking round the lake, up to the Sonnalpe, down to the Hotel Poste. I can hear the noise of the ice carnival, the voices of the characters. And I can 'smell' the air, especially by the lake and in the pines by the school, in the same way you 'see' the scenery.

I had a similar discussion (about the Narnia books) with a friend recently who told me that it's more usual to experience books purely visually - like watching a movie in your own head was how he described it - but that seems like such a detached experience. When I read a book I'm transported into that world and I experience it with all my senses.

I can't see that it's so unusual. If the book is stimulating one set of senses it follows that it can stimulate others. What are the experiences of people here?

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 02:43