Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 27 May 2017, 01:22

Post subject: Bindings of different editions
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 17:56 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I have two hardback copies of "Feud". The contents appear identical. Neither has a publication date. Neither has a dust jacket. However they have different boards.

One is slightly fatter and has blue boards with gold lines across the spine, the title appears on the spine in the first "box" formed by the bands, the author's name immediately below in the second "box", and the publisher's name at the base of the spine. This copy was sold to me as a first edition.

The second, slightly slimmer copy also has blue boards but has gold bands only at the top and bottom of the spine. The author's name appears halfway down the spine, and the publisher's name is not quite as low.

Both kinds of boards appear on other books.

According to the GGBP print of "Feud", the book first appeared in 1962 and (crucially) this edition was not reprinted.

Can anyone shed any light on why the book was issued in two different sets of boards?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Bindings of different editions
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 18:15 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

I've moved this to South Shields as it's about the physical books.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 18:37 

JB wrote:
I've moved this to South Shields as it's about the physical books.

Thanks. I wasn't sure where it should go.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 18:45 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

Mine has the multiple gold bands, and a jacket with Feud as last title which usually implies 1st edition. The ones before and after have the multiple bands so it was presumably the style around then. Wonder if the other has been rebound, possibly by a library?

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 18:53 

I have others in the same binding including "Ruey" and "Althea" which makes me feel that it is unlikely to be a rebinding job. In any case, it can't have been a library - both Feud and Althea are in very good condition internally and look unread, and there are no library markings of any kind.

Edit: I've just checked and the books that I have in this "second" binding include "Prefects" which does have an original dust jacket. It might be interesting to know whether other people have this book in the "banded" version.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 10:58 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

My copy of Feud has got the banding, as have all the subsequent titles up to and including Challenge. Only the last three have the plain boards.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 11:30 
Attending a prees' meeting

It looks to me as if there was more than one edition of Feud anyway: my copy is similarly undated and un-dustjacketed, but has the plain navy bandings on the spine that were in use in the 1950s and early 60s; there's an inscription dated 1983 on the title page, not that that proves anything. So that's a third version. Again, no obvious library history as the front and back end papers are complete and unmarked, and there are no stamps anywhere in the book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 11:50 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

It could be that there was a first edition and then one or more "impressions", although you'd normally expect to see this printed somewhere in the book. "Impressions" of a first edition still count as first editions, but they're not as valuable as the very first printing of all.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 01:40 

Annied wrote:
It could be that there was a first edition and then one or more "impressions", although you'd normally expect to see this printed somewhere in the book. "Impressions" of a first edition still count as first editions, but they're not as valuable as the very first printing of all.

This was my assumption, although it still leaves the problem as to which is the first edition, first printing (the collector's "first edition")

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 09:34 

I don't know if this ever happens/happened, but could it be that, for some reason, 2 separate Printers were involved simultaneously and each interpreted the instructions they were sent slightly differently?

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 13:53 

Annied wrote:
I don't know if this ever happens/happened, but could it be that, for some reason, 2 separate Printers were involved simultaneously and each interpreted the instructions they were sent slightly differently?

The use of more than one printer does happen but it is most common for books with massive print runs - I feel that EBD probably doesn't fall into that category! Plus this isn't a "one-off"; there are other books in the same style so it doesn't seem likely that it was some kind of error.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 14:27 

I don't know what the sales figures were like for Feud, but perhaps it sold much better than expected straight away, and there simply wasn't time to match the bindings of the subsequent impressions? That would certainly account for the plain binding on mine.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 27 May 2017, 01:22