Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 15:16

Post subject: 1939 Register
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 12:49 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

The 1939 Register/emergency census, taken to provide the authorities with the info needed for organising ID cards etc, was released earlier this week. Sadly, it doesn't show us the Russells, Maynards, etc, but it does show us EBD:

here.

She seems to have knocked 5 years off her age :lol:. It could, to be fair, be a typo or a case of something being misread (my granddad's surname has been misspelt, probably because his handwriting was always so terrible, bless him!), but I'd love to know if she did it on purpose :lol: .

Interestingly, if you put "Ainsley" (EBD's household is listed under Ainsley, her stepfather's surname) into the search engine, it comes up with Eleanor Ainsley, EBD's mum, but also "Annesley" (no r) as a "variant" spelling ... I've never thought of that before. Probably a coincidence :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: 1939 Register
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 14:15 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Knocking some years off your age seems quite common among women - my grandmother, her mother and sister all did it in the 1901 Census. Granny also did it when she married and in the 1911 Census. She was actually several years older than Grandad. It took quite a while for me to track down her birth certificate because of this.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 14:58 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

When in 1939 was the census taken?

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 15:08 

September 29th, very soon after war was declared.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 15:52 
Checking the board for match fixtures

I've found several inaccuracies already, though so far I've only looked at the index, still deciding how many households I need to look at to decide how much money to spend! When I finally tracked down my parents - on honeymoon in Bournemouth rather than at home in Gloucestershire - my mother's birth is down as 1879, should be 1909. Father's is 1900 instead of 1901. I've also found a Nora down as Rosa, and a Rex down as Rose. I don't know if handwriting is enumerator's or the actual people like 1911 census, will be interesting to see.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 16:06 

Alison H wrote:

Thanks - can look for my Mum then but not my Dad - he was born 8th October 1939.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 16:25 

Lesley wrote:
Alison H wrote:

Thanks - can look for my Mum then but not my Dad - he was born 8th October 1939.

Records for people born less than 100 years ago are closed unless that person is now dead, so if your mother is still alive you won't find her. If you find your grandparents there would be a note of closed entries in the household, which would include her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 16:28 

I've got "This household contains 2 more people who are officially closed" coming up on one family record :lol:: I know what they mean, but it sounds very strange!

I'm not sure how up to date they are regarding people who are now deceased: I'm having trouble finding relatives who would now be under 100 but are no longer with us, but a lot less trouble finding those who'd now be over 100.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 18:22 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Apparently no one on either side of my family existed in 1939, not found a single one of them and I know all names, dates of birth and whereabouts at the time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 18:40 
Receiving support from the form

Can't find my ever-elusive great-grandmother. No surprise there.

Have found various relatives which I will pay to look at when I've decided how many I want to pay for.

I've only skim-read the faq, but apparently you can submit a request to have a closed person unclosed if he/she is deceased. Also, records will be updated to add people as they pass their hundredth birthdays. My late father would have been 100 next year, so I suppose he'll become available then even if I don't request it.

Have spent too much time on this, this afternoon!

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 21:04 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

My Nan would have been 100 earlier this year so she was on it. And because it has maiden and married names of women who married in WW2 - I was able to track down her cousin who had been annoying me. Weirdly not everyone who is than 100 is redacted. My Nan's best friend was a year younger (July 1916) and she's there for all to see. Aunty O, (1917) not there though but that's cos she's still alive and the younger siblings who still lived at home (1923/5) are redacted. I also saw the neighbours to Nan's cousin had small children born in 1934-6 that were listed so it does seem a tad confusing. I appear to have lost Nan's older sister who was married by that point. Most annoying.

The writing is the enumerator's from a document compiled by the household. My Nan's DOB is the 27th not 21st - someone just copied it down wrong.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 00:25 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Interesting and helpful to know about the innaccuracies that people are finding - I've had a quick look for a few people who should be on there and couldn't find them (although one of them is also missing from the 1901 census so maybe he's always been a bit elusive...he was definitely alive until 1965 though!). I hope they have a free weekend sometime so I can have a proper look (I'm poor...haha)

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 01:01 

There's something odd going on with address searches. Two long roads, with 200+ street numbers, in two different boroughs, don't come up when I search for them. And half my own street is missing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 13:49 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

I managed to find husband's elusive great uncle, who they all knew as Lester, but was actually George Lester, lodging with a widowed lady in Manchester (and on the register as George K, when quite clearly George L :roll: ).

Still a single man, annoyingly - I can't find his wedding and no one can remember the name of his wife, but his death cert says he's a widower, and it was reported by his sister-in-law, so I was hoping he'd be married by this point.

Oh well, just have to wait for someone to launch the Manchester electoral registers...

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 15:07 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

These elusive relatives - they really have no consideration for their descendants, do they? Sadly, I can't see the 1939 register helping with any of my 'brick walls', as they're all to do with people who would have been dead by then.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 15:25 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

I can't find my grandmother on there, and the house I'm living in now is missing (unless it had a name which I don't know about). The houses either side are listed though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 15:50 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

The Sloc's grandfather had his name misspelt.

Is it worth going into the records? It seems quite expensive - £6.something for one family when all I want to see is the entry. I'm not interested in the other stuff that goes with it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 16:27 

Has anyone seen a way of reporting errors without paying to unlock the record? I've found the street where I grew up, and the surnames of two of our five nearest neighbours, who were there in 1939 and whom I remember as elderly couples, have been mistranscribed, as has the name of my old school.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 16:34 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

I think I have almost certainly found my father, not long arrived in the UK from Czechoslovakia, with his first name which was Arnost (Czech for Ernest) listed as Arnold and his d.o.b as 1907 when he was born in 1901.

Both easy mistakes for an enumerator working at speed and dealing with foreign handwriting to make. The town is correct and as far as I know our surname is unique in the UK.

Does anyone know what more the records would reveal if I pay to open them up? Place of birth perhaps?

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 17:39 

From the website, it looks as if you get d.o.b., occupation and details of other people in the household. Don't know about place of birth but I haven't read it thoroughly.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 15:16