Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 23:12

Post subject: Re: 1939 Register
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 20:48 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

you get name DOB occupation - possibly a new name if a woman married in the rationing years and a entry in the other column for men who were civillians but were signed up to the war effort at home (things like AFS, ARP, trained stretcher bearer are ones I've found).

The maps are well and truly off though - my Nan's house is listed on the map a good few streets over from where she lived. My Gt Aunt lived a few streets away - the map has her in the same location.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 00:53 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

Thanks Sugar. So does one get a whole street address?

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 10:30 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

You get 15 Bloggs Street rather than just Bloggs Street. I haven't tried paying the £6.99 to "unlock" a household, but I know my grandparents' addresses for 1939 (street search works for one of the addresses but not the others, for some reason!), and, if I put the street name in for the one that works, I can see the name of the household for each number. So it definitely shows street numbers.

I hope that makes sense! They lived in one of these neighbourhoods which sadly no longer seem to exist except on TV soap operas, where everyone was best mates with all their neighbours, so I had some good fun looking at all the neighbours' names :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 11:40 
Learning all about Matey!

I'm struggling with this. Searching for my grandparents. I knew the address, but the address wasn't coming up. Seems it is under my grandmother's name, but middle and first names reversed. Seems strange as my grandfather was too old too fight and worked at the nearby Royal vet corps camp, so he would have been at home. The rest of the family (unmarried uncles) lived two dooors away. Can't find them either and at least two were medically unfit to serve, so should have been at home.

edited to say: found them, with a bit of playing around on address searches and some help from my mother with birth years.

I'm really going to have to sit her down and get the family info written down!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 15:24 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

Tangentially related, but Ancestry are offering free access to military records until midnight on 11th. Although I remember that the last time they did this, it was all a bit of a palaver - one couldn't just go in and look at things, one had to register and get a username and password - and I gave up in the end.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 16:49 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Ancestry inundate you with emails if you register with them and whatever information you want will cost you money.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 22:27 

I unlocked the houses I wanted to look at. But I had a discount from FMP so it wasn't astronomical. I got 6 houses in the road... not just the house I wanted... which was a bonus as my grans sister lived 4 doors up.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 00:15 
Being rude to your sheepdog

JayB wrote:
Tangentially related, but Ancestry are offering free access to military records until midnight on 11th. Although I remember that the last time they did this, it was all a bit of a palaver - one couldn't just go in and look at things, one had to register and get a username and password - and I gave up in the end.

I'm registered with the site - and as far as I can see logged in - and it still keeps telling me to sign up for a free trial :? Maybe I'm not on the right bit though, as I have found some free military records but for my ancestor who has a quite common name there is only one page of results, which can't be right! It's a very frustrating site!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 09:38 
Indulging in a midnight feast

I'd love to delve more deeply into that register but like all those sites it's going to cost far too much for me at the moment :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 09:42 

JayB wrote:
There's something odd going on with address searches. Two long roads, with 200+ street numbers, in two different boroughs, don't come up when I search for them. And half my own street is missing.

Could it be the street name was changed at some point? I couldn't find my husband's childhood street in one record because he grew up with it as Urlwin Street but it had been changed from Grosvenor Terrace at some stage and it was still Grosvenor Terrace in the record I was looking at.

Apologies for unintentional spreeing!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 23:12