Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 15:24

Post subject: Best Chalet School-esque holiday?
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 06:22 
Arguing with your guardian

Hi, new member here. I'd be really grateful for some advice.

My mum and I are Chalet School fans. I promised her a trip to 'Chalet School country' once her cancer treatment was over and I'm happy to say that day is here.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend places that were like Chalet School locations and would make for a lovely break. She's not THAT bothered, to be honest, about historical/EBD accuracy - I think she's just looking for black cherry jam, eiderdowns and lakes :D

I've read about Pertisau, of course, and it's quite a long journey from the airport, and I've found myself wondering (I know this is very disloyal!) if it's actually the nicest place in the Tyrol to go?

So...votes for Pertisau or alternative suggestions? I'd be very grateful.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Best Chalet School-esque holiday?
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 10:04 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Morning, and welcome! And of course, congratulations to your mum on having got through her cancer treatment. Pending one of our more travelled CBB-ers coming along...

I can't speak for Austria, but you'd still be in Chalet-school territory with Switzerland, which is not necessarily more expensive than Austria, depending on where you go - and you still find black cherry jam, plumeaus and lakes, of course. It's a pity that the place I visited was Lugano, which is mentioned in passing but not described, though! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 10:55 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Glad to hear that your mum's finished her treatment.

I once stayed in Kitzbuhel. It's not actually on a lake, so if you want a lakeside resort then maybe somewhere like Zell am See or St Wolfgang, but it's only a short bus ride from a lake, and there's plenty to do there - there are two mountains which you can go up and down in cable cars (unless you want to climb!), as well as cafes etc.

If you'd rather be in a city than a small resort, Lucerne is wonderful - boat rides, shops, chocolate :D, coffee houses - and does have CS connections (Margot fell in the lake there!), but Swiss cities can be expensive.

ETA - I actually took photos of black cherry jam and fancy bread rolls on the breakfast buffet. I assume that the other people in the hotel must have put it down to The Madness Of The English, like Grizel's hairdresser did :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Alison H on 22 Feb 2016, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 11:14 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

Hello ViolaLucy! I've just responded to your Facebook post with info about a two-centre holiday my mum and I did in Innsbruck and Pertisau (at least I'm guessing it's you!), so obviously that's where my vote would go :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 13:10 
Presenting your school report

Pertisau is very beautiful, and of course special for all of us but Austria has many wonderful places....

And you could also get the cherry jam/plumeau experience in S. Germany - within reach of Oberammergau, with its CS links, lies the beautiful Walchensee, reminiscent in many ways of the Tiern/Achensee. 75 km from Munich according to the website. That might be an easier option? I haven't explored it in detail for access but I spent a holiday there in my late teens, after we saw the Passion Play, and have remembered it with joy for the past 60 years.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 18:31 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Couple of suggestions, both based on flying to Innsbruck airport:
1. If you want to be close to Innsbruck and are happy to make your own arrangements, there is a lovely chalet-style hotel on the hillside about two miles south of the city, in the pleasant village of Aldrans - a few minutes on the bus. It is called the Aldranser Hof and has a wonderful view of the city and the mountains behind it. Great service and food. You can do a day trip to Pertisau from Innsbruck.
2. If you want more of a package trip, why not head for Seefeld? About ten miles from Innsbruck, lots of nice hotels, lovely scenery, lots of trips available from there. It's the sort of place which older people like, very civilised and is very well set up to look after you, plus it's a short bus ride to Mittenwald.
Also, with all due deference to those recommending undeniably lovely Switzerland, Austria is a lot cheaper!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 19:00 

I really, really dislike Switzerland. To me it is rather like a giant model railway layout, complete perfection, nothing out of place, stunningly beautiful but soulless. Austria for me has a comfortable soul....

It may have something to do with having had a Swiss sister-in-law who couldn't get away from the country fast enough. She always said that everything was forbidden, unless it was expressly allowed.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 19:13 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Well, I didn't want to be the first to say that, but you're absolutely right, Cestina. There is an old joke in the German-speaking world that the Germans consider the Austrians a bunch of straw-chewing hayseeds, the Austrians think the Germans too concerned with money and both nations consider the Swiss to be obsessed with rules, order and appearance!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 20:54 

Austria has the best cakes in the world. And strudel. However, Swissair give you a free small bar of chocolate when you land. So both countries have their merits :wink: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 21:07 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

I would stay in or near Innsbruck and maybe hire a car to explore Pertisau and the Achensee. It's only about half an hour's run in the car. Failing that, you can go by train and get a bus up from Jenbach (or, indeed, the little train, but that can be expensive).

There's plenty to do if you like walking, but if your mother is still very tired after her treatments, she may find it dull - although there are spas and so on.

Or, of course, you could do something that nobody else has (as far as I know) suggested, and stay in Hereford (Armiford) and explore the Golden Valley area where the English books are set.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 23:09 
Arguing with your guardian

I spent my honeymoon in the Wye Valley last year and it's a beautiful part of the country. I may have persuaded the husband to spend a day in Hereford for no other reason than the links to the books (not entirely sure he fell for my excuse of "I've heard it's very pretty").

We spent a lovely day enjoying the town (which is indeed very pretty) including a wander round the cathedral, which I think was something the girls did in one of the books? There were also various places to spot which are mentioned in the books - the hotel (its name escapes me at the moment), the station, etc and we found a very olde worlde cafe to have our 'kaffee und kuchen' which made me feel very chalet school!

I would have loved to see some of the other places from the books, but time was short and, well.... honeymoon :wink: I'd love to go back some time, although I would think a car is pretty essential for most of the school locations.

On a related, but only tenuously so topic, my local garden centre has started selling black cherry jam. Yes I did buy some and had it on brioche rolls in lieu of bread twists.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 03:19 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

Best wishes to your mother for a full and speedy recovery! I'm sure your planning for a post-treatment holiday is contributing to her improvement!

My suggestion is Innsbruck - spend a couple of days there, because it's a charming area with much of the black cherry jamminess you're hoping for, and because it would allow her to recuperate after travelling. It's got a hop on hop off bus tour, walking areas, museums, lifts up the mountains with minimal exertion required for someone recovering from illness who would like the beautiful views (and the opportunity for a little climbing at the top if wanted - you could explore while she enjoys coffee with all that cream), all with reasonably priced lodging and the opportunity to see CS locations.

If she's up to it, the train journey to Jenbach (Spartz) and the cog railway up to Achensee would be a real CS experience. It's less than an hour from Innsbruck and another hour up the mountain. I did this with my D who is familiar with CS but not a fan and she LOVED it. I think it could be a powerful experience for someone who wants a CS "feel" to a holiday. This could be done as a day trip including taking the boat around the lake (not to be missed!) or an overnight staying over probably in Pertisau.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 11:25 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I've been planning a trip to that area myself for later in the year and have found that Inghams Lakes and Mountains will do a package holiday for 7nights half board to Pertisau for about £550 per person. Rather than plan a day trip to the Achensee from Innsbruck, you could do it in reverse, then you'd be able to throw your plumeau onto the balcony rail every morning, and perhaps hurry off to catch the lake steamer or the little mountain train - or relax with a drink and a copy of The School at the Chalet!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 09:55 
Climbing with your knees bent

The benefits of using inghams (or Crystal or Thompson) is that they arrange all the transport from the aiport direct to the hotel Or both hotels if you do a two centre holiday.

If you are doing the trip yourself the transport can be a bit of an issue as neither Innsbruck or Salzburg have train links.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 10:57 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Caty wrote:
If you are doing the trip yourself the transport can be a bit of an issue as neither Innsbruck or Salzburg have train links.

Not sure what you mean by this. You can get to both Innsbruck and Salzburg by rail - I'll be doing that in October - but I agree that having Inghams or whoever do the transfers is very convenient.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 16:45 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Innsbruck airport isn't on a railway line, but there is a shuttle bus from the airport to the city which has a stop right outside the Hauptbahnhof.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 20:55 
Being rude to your sheepdog

I think Pertisau is a great choice. Riding across the lake on the steamer to have cake is a nice way to spend time and the journey on the train up from Jenbach is lovely. The hotel next door to the Post (can't remember the name!!) has a spectacular cake buffet each afternoon and we loved going up the mountain in the cable car.

The pace is very gentle and it is beautiful! I am also very fond of Seefeld which probably has more to do if the weather is bad but I don't think it's as pretty. Zell am See might be worth considering too -- very pretty and a great big lake.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 22:54 

The Innsbruck area is easy to get around by bus and train - and the airport is close to the city center (though it doesn't have its own railway station, which I assume is what Caty means). You could look into what a taxi would cost to Pertisau. Pertisau is quite an outdoorsy sort of place though so it might not be ideal for you. But the views are wonderful.

Innsbruck itself is quite a modern city and bits of it are not very attractive, though the old town is very nice. I love it though, i'm about to book my trip there for this year (as a stop off en-route from San Marino to Luxembourg!). You could potentially buy public transport passes and just spend the time riding around on trains and trams which would not need much energy but would get you some lovely views (Innsbruck to Seefeld is wonderful)

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 10:47 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Cesca wrote:
The hotel next door to the Post (can't remember the name!!) has a spectacular cake buffet

OMG! A cake buffet? I may have to move in.
I agree with exile about Innsbruck. It isn't all golden roofs and majestic streets - once you get outside the old town, it's a modern city with all the required facilities. It is, though, in a beautiful situation, with a wall of mountains rearing up to the immediate north of the city and another, less precipitous, mountain range to the south. Also, the lovely Inn river runs through the city, there are lots of interesting shops and wonderful cafes and restaurants and it is one of those places, at least in my experience, which makes one feel happy. If I could teleport myself anywhere in the world right now, it would probably be Innsbruck - for a week, so that I could have a few trips to Pertisau to get at that cake buffet!
While I'm here, nobody has mentioned the Swarovski Kristallwelten. This is a major attraction a mile or two to the east of the city. Expensive, but well worth half a day, even if the gift shop prices are outrageous. There are regular buses from the station.

Last edited by Gottfried on 03 Mar 2016, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 10:50 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Gottfried wrote:
Cesca wrote:
The hotel next door to the Post (can't remember the name!!) has a spectacular cake buffet

OMG! A cake buffet? I may have to move in.

Me too! :roll:

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 15:24