Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 18:45

Post subject: Re: Best Chalet School-esque holiday?
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 12:59 
First Lesson
First Lesson

exile wrote:
You could look into what a taxi would cost to Pertisau. Pertisau is quite an outdoorsy sort of place though so it might not be ideal for you. )

The answer is about Euro 110 each way. I know because we looked it up for our recent trip to Pertisau, and decided we would use the shuttle bus and the train to Jenbach (our hotel were happy to pick us up there).

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 17:54 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

It's perfectly feasible to get the train to Jenbach from either Innsbruck or Salzburg and then the bus up to Pertisau - we managed it on New Year's Day 2011. Pertisau and the lake are spectacularly beautiful and there is plenty of flat walking. You could easily stay at Achenkirche if you wanted a bit of a bigger village - the Sixenhof museum is fabulously evocative. We stayed at the Rieser in Pertisau (twice) on the recommendation of someone here - they do 3/4 board (which means everything except booze but does include K&K) - we never managed the cakes because the breakfasts and lunches were so good - it was the cheeseboard that got me. Wellness in Austria is not a self-denying concept. The pools and spas are gorgeous and several of the hotels are of a similarly luxurious level - treat yourselves if you can run to it. The Post is nearer the lake and the lake boat trip is lovely. Why go for Chalet-esque when you can have the real thing? :wink: Innsbruck is also lovely and there are plenty of Chalet echoes. We stayed (briefly) in the Goldener Adler which is the original inn of the Brenner Pass and very good. A two centre (2-3 days in Innsbruck and 3-4 days in Pertisau would be excellent depending on your time and budget.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 21:00 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Well, I know this is for the benefit of Viola Lucy, but you have just pretty much organized my holiday for October. Thanks Jane!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 23:51 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

Caty wrote:
If you are doing the trip yourself the transport can be a bit of an issue as neither Innsbruck or Salzburg have train links.

Perfectly good bus from Innsbruck airport to the town centre, dead easy to use.

Gottfried wrote:
Well, I know this is for the benefit of Viola Lucy, but you have just pretty much organized my holiday for October. Thanks Jane!

Except that Pertisau in October is a total ghost town - everybody is profiting from the summer being over and the winter not having started yet to take their own holiday. We used to go to a skating camp in Bad Reichenhall, near Berchtesgarden, and would always find time for an afternoon trip to Pertisau, but it was always as empty as empty.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 10:46 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Thanks for the tip, Mrs R, might make it September instead.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 15:29 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Ghost towns are good!

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 15:34 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Gottfried wrote:
Thanks for the tip, Mrs R, might make it September instead.

Not sure that September will necessarily be much better than October. My mother and I stayed (through Great Rail Journeys) in a hotel in Jenbach for a week in the first week of September a few years back, on a mostly half-board basis. On the evenings when we weren't having dinner there we struggled to find a decent open restaurant in the vicinity of the hotel as many of them were closed so that the staff could grab a holiday between the summer season and the skiing season!

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 19:58 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

I think Innsbruck is open in September, I know a lit of things there close for October and November

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 23:52 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Thanks, will give this some thought and report back in due course!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 03:01 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Having been in Pertisau for the second half of October last year, yes, it is quieter than the main season, but going in the shoulder season (which this year is from 3-30 October) is cheaper, too. The boat and train are both still active and the big hotels are still open. (Big hotels are generally closed from late Oct/early Nov to mid Dec.) Some restaurants are closed, but others not. If you are staying at hotel, their restaurant will still be open. The steam train to the Zillerthal stops on October 9. I had no problem in Innsbruck for the whole of October.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 13:34 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

My apologies to ViolaLucy for hijacking this thread temporarily! I agree with Cestina that ghost towns have a lot going for them, and am reassured that there will at
least be a few hotels and the odd restaurant open in early Oct, so will have a few days in Innsbruck and then a few in Pertisau. The weather in October in the Tirol is apparently fairly good and it's been recommended to me as a good time to go. Going by train - ferry from Hull to Rotterdam, then to Munich for an overnight or two, then Innsbruck. Many thanks for all the tips.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 15:04 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

So glad to be of service! Have a fabulous trip whenever you do decide to go. I must say the winter trip was amazing and there is no compulsion to ski. (Although the Langlauf ski school looked tempting.) I always wanted to go first in the snow. In Innsbruck I had fun trying to identify the Mensches' flat in the Mariahilfe, just across the bridge.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 18:45