The CBB
http://the-cbb.co.uk/

Transcripts
http://the-cbb.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14323
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Jozanna [ 29 Sep 2016, 16:23 ]
Post subject:  Transcripts

I've been reading the Archive discussions for each book, and keep coming across references to "transcripts". I realise the discussions are very old (ancient in Internet terms) but was wondering if these transcripts still exist?

Author:  JB [ 29 Sep 2016, 22:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

They don't I'm afraid. There were circulated before Girls Gone By published the books but are a breach of copyright.

Author:  Noreen [ 29 Sep 2016, 22:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

I've certainly seen a transcript of The School at the Chalet, but as JB says, it's in breach of copyright. Even in countries where works come out of copyright fifty years after the death of the author, none of EMBD's will do that until 2019.

Author:  Jozanna [ 29 Sep 2016, 23:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Thanks for the info I thought they were out of copyright. Oh well, best get saving!

Author:  KB [ 30 Sep 2016, 02:11 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Noreen wrote:
I've certainly seen a transcript of The School at the Chalet, but as JB says, it's in breach of copyright. Even in countries where works come out of copyright fifty years after the death of the author, none of EMBD's will do that until 2019.


It's actually 70 years after the death of the author, not 50. See here. So for EBD's work it will be 2039.

Author:  jennifer [ 30 Sep 2016, 06:40 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

KB wrote:
Noreen wrote:
I've certainly seen a transcript of The School at the Chalet, but as JB says, it's in breach of copyright. Even in countries where works come out of copyright fifty years after the death of the author, none of EMBD's will do that until 2019.


It's actually 70 years after the death of the author, not 50. See here. So for EBD's work it will be 2039.


That depends on country, though - England and the US are life+70, Canada, Australia and Taiwan are life+50. That's why you can find things like EJO books and Dorothy Sayers on the Faded Page site (which is associated with Project Gutenberg Canada), and the Emily of New Moon books on Project Gutenberg Australia, but not on the main Project Gutenberg site (which is US based).

Author:  cestina [ 30 Sep 2016, 07:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Goodness I never knew that Jennifer - I have hastened to the Faded Page website.... :D

Author:  Vintagejazz [ 30 Sep 2016, 10:45 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't find reading the transcripts nearly as enjoyable as reading the actual book. I know the books can be quite expensive to buy, but I've saved up and acquired a few hardbacks of the Tyrol and Armiford books this year, and it really felt like a much better experience than reading the transcripts.

Author:  Loryat [ 30 Sep 2016, 13:06 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

I agree, but I don't know why! It feels like more than just the difference between holding a book and reading off a screen.

:?

Author:  Joyce [ 01 Oct 2016, 05:05 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Loryat wrote:
I agree, but I don't know why! It feels like more than just the difference between holding a book and reading off a screen. :?


You can email transcripts to your e-book reader which is why I love them.

Cheers,
Joyce

Author:  bythebrook [ 01 Oct 2016, 06:05 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

jennifer wrote:
That depends on country, though - England and the US are life+70, Canada, Australia and Taiwan are life+50. That's why you can find things like EJO books and Dorothy Sayers on the Faded Page site (which is associated with Project Gutenberg Canada), and the Emily of New Moon books on Project Gutenberg Australia, but not on the main Project Gutenberg site (which is US based).


Faded Page is actually associated with Distributed Proofreaders Canada (DPC), not Project Gutenberg Canada. DPC do still publish some of their works at Project Gutenberg Canada, but mainly post their finished work at Faded Page.

Copyright law is a bit complex - in general, books published 1922 or earlier are in the public domain in the USA (no matter when the author died). Otherwise it depends if they renewed the copyright. In Australia, authors who died before 1950 are in the public domain, otherwise it is life +70 (life +50 until 2004, but the change isn't retroactive). The different Project Gutenberg sites only have books that are in the public domain in the country in which the site is hosted.

Disclaimer: I volunteer with Distributed Proofreaders (http://www.pgdp.net) which post etexts to the main Project Gutenberg site, and I'm also a member of Distributed Proofreaders Canada (http://www.pgdpcanada.net).

Author:  jennifer [ 01 Oct 2016, 06:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Thanks for the details!

Author:  Sindhu [ 02 Nov 2019, 16:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

I am a very old member, but haven't been around in a long time. If someone has a transcript of EJO's Damaris at Dorothy's, could they please send it to me? I had downloaded all the EBD and Ejo transcripts but my computer crashed and I lost most of them. I have been slowly buying print copies, but This one is just not available anywhere. Please help!

Author:  abbeybufo [ 03 Nov 2019, 15:37 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Damaris at Dorothy's is still in copyright and any transcripts around will therefore be illegal to trade or advertise on this site, which is UK based.

*with admin hat on*

Author:  bythebrook [ 05 Nov 2019, 10:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Those of you who are based in Canada (or any other country with life +50 copyright), fadedpage.com has some of the EJO books transcribed.

Author:  Noreen [ 05 Nov 2019, 10:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Isn't copyright law based on the country of origin of the author and/ or work?

Author:  Sindhu [ 05 Nov 2019, 11:21 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Yes, I wondered that. So, Oxenham's work will be out of copyright only in 2030? And even if I am willing to pay an exorbitant sum, there are no antique copies anywhere!!! :cry:

Author:  Noreen [ 05 Nov 2019, 15:21 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

At least the Elsie J Oxenham Society has reprinted some of the harder-to-come by titles, though. I doubt I'd ever have set eyes on Girls of the Hamlet Club otherwise, and it's so important to understanding the series!

Author:  Victoria [ 05 Nov 2019, 17:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Noreen wrote:
At least the Elsie J Oxenham Society has reprinted some of the harder-to-come by titles, though. I doubt I'd ever have set eyes on Girls of the Hamlet Club otherwise, and it's so important to understanding the series!


It wasn't until I read GotHC that I realised "Hamlet" had nothing to do with the play of that name...The book, to me, quite different from many of the later books and I mean that in a good way.

Author:  jennifer [ 06 Nov 2019, 00:31 ]
Post subject:  Re: Transcripts

Sindhu wrote:
Yes, I wondered that. So, Oxenham's work will be out of copyright only in 2030? And even if I am willing to pay an exorbitant sum, there are no antique copies anywhere!!! :cry:


Copyright law varies by country. EJO died in 1960, so her works are out of copyright in Life+50 countries (including Canada, Australia and Taiwan), but still in copyright in Life+70 countries (including US and UK), and will be until 2030.

So it's legal for EJO books to be on FadedPage, which is a Canadian based site (linked with Distributed Proofreaders Canada), and it's legal for someone in a Life+50 country (like me) to download them, but it's not legal for someone in the UK to download them, unless they happen to be visiting Canada or something like that. I don't know the legality of obtaining a book in a Life+50 country and crossing borders with it, however.

Also, EBD died in 1969, which means that her books are out of copyright in Life+50 countries at the end of this year.

BTW, I checked, and India appears to be Life+60.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/