Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 27 Sep 2020, 18:11

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GGBP News 3
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2020, 23:46 
Saying you only know three German words

It sounds great. I wonder does Madge feature much in it. It only mentions Madge at the end. It’s a fantastic idea for a book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 13:30 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

I agree, sounds very interesting!

New Beginnings is also to be reprinted

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 11:45 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Could someone please help me on the subject of The Encyclopaedia of Girls' School Stories? I'm not sure if I'm losing the plot or not! I've got an e-mail showing that I ordered Volume I of this in September 2019! 10 months later, I've still not received it. I understand that everything's been messed up this year, but I paid for this 6 months before lockdown.

The GGBP leaflet in the FOCS magazine I've just received says that it was published "at the end of July". I assume this means July 2020, not July 2019, but we aren't at the end of July 2020 yet! However, this is the catalogue for August to November 2020, so presumably they mean that it'll be published by the end of July 2020.

They're also asking for orders for Volume II and Volume III, which are supposed to be coming out later this year, but I'm rather reluctant to send them £32 when I paid £16 for something I've been waiting 10 months for.

Has anyone received Volume I, or is it not out yet?

Yours confusedly ….

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 12:16 
Released!
Released!

Not out yet. It was originally due earlier this year - March I think , then it became clear that eith the amount of material they had it would have to be 3 vols not 2, so they had to work out what would go in each volume so it's taken longer.

From last Friday's weekly email -

"The Encyclopaedia of Girls' School Stories (Volume One)

I have now approved the printers' proofs for Volume One. I have just heard from the printers and although no firm date yet, it still will be in July. "

So any time now, with vols 2 and 3 later in the year.

Last edited by ivohenry on 23 Jul 2020, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 13:30 
Giving a Junior an order mark

It's a long lead time between Clarissa writing the editorial and the magazine coming out, so I think she honestly thought we would have it by the time we got the mag. (I'm still waiting for mine, too, but I'm getting it via another bookseller rather than direct from GGBP themselves, so I haven't had to pay yet.) The weekly email (that ivohenry quotes above, and is free to receive) always has the most up-to-date info.

When Clarissa asked for votes earlier in the year about when vols 2 & 3 should come out, I said I thought bringing the third one out too soon after the second might strain people's pockets/purses, but they evidently had enough people voting that it would be fine to bring them out together that that was the option they took...

ETA I am mildly amused that the total cost now, of 3 x £16.00 means that the GGBP reprint is slightly more expensive than the hardback single volume that everyone was so horrified cost £40 (or was it £45) in 2000. I know, inflation, but even so.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 15:34 
Dashing off for your part in the play

I gather there's been a significant "inflation" in the amount of information contained!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 15:48 

Victoria wrote:
I gather there's been a significant "inflation" in the amount of information contained!

Yes, I know there has, and there are lots of pictures, too, which the first ed didn't have...I was more amused by the fact that £16 x 3 is seen as affordable now, when £40-odd was out of reach then.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 19:24 

I think I'll wait until this one finally arrives before ordering any more - I feel like asking for interest on the £16 they've had since last September :roll: . I understand their reasons for wanting advance orders, but this has been a bit OTT.

Last edited by Alison H on 23 Jul 2020, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 19:26 

Or order through someone like Caroline O or Gill Bilski...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 10:01 
Released!
Released!

This morning's newsletter says they are expecting delivery of the Encyclopedia vol 1 today, so they will be sending them out over the next few days, might still be July - just!

ETA - later email says they arrived this morning and are looking good.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 23:56 

I actually think £48 for 3 volumes is good value in comparison to £40 or £45 twenty years ago for one book. I think it would be good value in comparison even if there had been zero inflation in the last twenty years. The fact that there are now three volumes would lead me to think there is more than double the information in the three new volumes than there was in the one book that was published in 2000.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2020, 10:15 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

This is why I buy from others, not direct fromGGBP.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2020, 11:25 

Chloe wrote:
I actually think £48 for 3 volumes is good value in comparison to £40 or £45 twenty years ago for one book. I think it would be good value in comparison even if there had been zero inflation in the last twenty years. The fact that there are now three volumes would lead me to think there is more than double the information in the three new volumes than there was in the one book that was published in 2000.

Yes, you are right - and there's more information in this edition, and many illustrations, whereas the first didn't have pictures.

I was thinking about our changing attitudes, and remembering the horror at the original price and the 'unaffordability' ... of course many of our own financial situations are more stable these days, too.

janetbrown23 wrote:
This is why I buy from others, not direct from GGBP.

I agree, me too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2020, 16:35 

In all fairness to GGBP, they could hardly have been expected to predict the covid-19 pandemic which hasn't helped the situation.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 17:27 
Released!
Released!

My encyclopaedia arrived today, looks good, not had time to look at it yet, but will have a happy time later!

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 22:46 

Mine came today as well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 02:51 

GGBP have got much better at consulting their customers about which books people would like published next. In their weekly newsletter they are asking which books people would like published next year. They are asking about books by one author a week. They asked about Monica Edwards last Friday. They gave a selection of her books for people to pick from. They asked last year as well about which books people would like published this year. I think their weekly newsletter by email has made it much easier for them to get people’s opinions of which books to publish next rather than people randomly emailing them and requesting a particular book. After this year they only have 4 CS books and 7 non CS EBDs left to publish. I’m looking forward to them asking which CS and non CS EBDs people would like published next year.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020, 21:00 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Is Leader new? I can’t remember if I bought it and I’m not at home.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020, 21:29 
Promotion to Five A
Promotion to Five A

A quick check on the GGBP site suggests that they haven't reprinted Leader before. If you can access the site, check the "All Books ever Published," section 1: "Elinor Brent-Dyer's Books and the Chalet School Series"- this gives the GGBP publishing history of each title.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020, 21:57 

Thanks Elder! Will do. I think I may have missed some. I think the last I one I bought was Lintons.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 27 Sep 2020, 18:11