Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 12:02

Post subject: Achensee (Tiernsee) Information
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009, 14:25 
Swept off by Matey to pack

There was a suggestion last year, that we should have a sticky thread with Achensee information. It's finally happening! :D

Please either PM me or post below to add your own recommendations and tips. I want to try and keep this yibble-free, or it will be too unwieldy to find any useful information. I therefore reserve the right to prune and/or edit where necessary. That said, it will be much more helpful with people's own ideas on where to go, or not go.

This is a link to the Achensee Tourist Information website. Here is a map of the Achensee and surrounding area, or look at the panorama maps.

If you have, or can borrow, a copy of Sally Dore's Achensee Handbook, and its update, published by FOCS a few years ago, it will be invaluable.

GETTING THERE

Flights to Austria
Easyjet, Ryanair and jet2.com offer cheap flights from various parts of the British Isles.
Easyjet fly from Edinburgh and Stansted to Munich.
Easyjet fly from Gatwick to Salzburg.
Easyjet fly from Gatwick to Innsbruck.
Easyjet fly from Liverpool and Bristol to Innsbruck in the winter only.
Ryanair fly from Stansted and Dublin to Salzburg.
Jet2.com fly from Leeds Bradford to Salzburg in the winter only.

TravelSupermarket also gives details of flights from the British Isles.

Many of the package tour companies offer flight only deals, too.

There are also scheduled flights into Innsbruck, Munich and Salzburg airports.

Trains to Austria
The fastest route by train uses the overnight sleeper from Paris to Munich. It is also possible to travel through Switzerland, but it will probably involve an overnight stay there. Look here for more information.

Travelling to the Achensee
Trains from Munich or Salzburg to Innsbruck stop at Jenbach, and take about two hours. The bus from Jenbach to the Achensee starts near the Zillertalbahn booking office at the station. The journey will probably be free if you show the driver your accommodation booking confirmation. The buses run once an hour from about six in the morning until seven in the evening. All buses go to Maurach, where it may be necessary to change, depending on whether you want to go to Pertisau (on the Western shore) or up the eastern side of the lake towards Achenkirch.

The alternative route from Munich is to take the train to Tegernsee, and catch the bus to Pertisau there. There is a Bavarian one day travel ticket for up to five people which covers the journey from the airport to Tegernsee.

Package Tours
Inghams and Crystal offer holidays based in Pertisau (Briesau).

WHERE TO STAY

Hotels & Self-catering Apartments
There are lots in Pertisau, Maurach and Achenkirch.

Youth Hostel
There is a youth hostel at Maurach.

Camping
There are four campsites around the lake. There is one site on the outskirts of Maurach, and not very far from Seespitz. A second site can be found on the eastern shore about halfway between Buchau and Scholastika. The third one is opposite the boat landing at Scholastika. The fourth is near Buchau.

TRAVELLING AROUND THE ACHENSEE

Bus
There is a regular bus service from Jenbach to Pertisau and Achenkirch. With the guest card from your hotel or apartment, these are free between Maurach, Pertisau and Achenkirch. There was (and may still be) a vintage bus which took visitors from Pertisau to the Gramaialm.

Train
The mountain railway is very much as it was in EBD’s time. It usually runs from the beginning of May until the end of October.

Boat
The boats on the lake are no longer steam powered. Most of the services are operated by two large new boats, but the St. Josef (which would have been around in EBD’s time) can still be seen on the lake.

Cable Car
There are two cable cars which operate during the summer months. There are many more in the winter for the benefit of the skiers. The Karwendelbahn goes to the Bärenbadalm from Pertisau. The Rofanseilbahn is the easy way to get to the “Sonnalpe”!

Erlebniscard
This card can be bought from either of the two cable car ticket offices, or the Tourist Information Centre (cash only) in Pertisau. It is valid for seven consecutive days, and gives unlimited rides on the mountain railway, the lake steamers and both the cable cars. It also includes free entry to several of the local museums. The price for 2009 is 52 euros. It is available from the beginning of May until the end of October. Even if you want to travel on the train, boat and cable cars only once each, it is worth the money.

Bicycle
Bicycles can be hired from various places in Pertisau, Maurach and Achenkirch. They may also be available from your hotel or apartment.

Walking
Be warned – EBD shrank the Achensee to make the Tiernsee. You can walk around it in a day – it is only 23km. But if you want to walk from Pertisau to Buchau and back before breakfast, you’ll need to get up very early! There are lots of walks among the mountains, too. Most of the paths are very well signed, usually with an indication of how long they think it will take for you to walk there. It’s probably a good idea to get a map, too. If you don’t already have any, it’s usually possible to hire walking poles, or borrow them from your hotel or apartment. Remember how quickly the weather can change, and make sure you have adequate protective clothing, as well as sensible footwear. I don’t think there are always doctors waiting around to rescue damsels in distress!

Car Hire
If you haven’t hired a car to drive from the airport, you can hire one in Maurach or Achenkirch.

PLACES MENTIONED IN THE BOOKS

Both the Achensee Handbook (mentioned above) and the introduction to the GGBP edition of The School at the Chalet have good maps showing CS locations.

Around the lake
Pertisau is Briesau in the books.
The Fürstenhaus is probably the Kron Prinz Karl. There is a Hotel Post just along the lake shore halfway between the Fürstenhaus and the Alpenhof, which is believed to be the site of the Chalet School.
Achenkirch is Tiernkirch in the books.
Gaisalm, Scholastika, Seehof, Buchau, Eben, Maurach and Seespitz don’t have name changes for the books.
The dripping rock is between Pertisau and Gaisalm – it can only be reached on foot. although it can be seen from a boat on the lake.
The Sonnalpe is the area around the top of the Rofanseilbahn (cable car) from Maurach.
The Feilkopf is the Mondscheinspitze. There is a bus service, if you don’t want to walk.
The Bärenbadalm and Bärenkopf keep the same names, and the alm can be reached by the Karwendelbahn (cable car) from Pertisau.

Further afield
Jenbach is Spärtz in the books. It takes about fifteen minutes to walk from the station up to the church.
The Zillertal is on the other side of the Inn valley from Jenbach, and can be visited by train or bus.
Innsbruck can be reached by train from Jenbach. The Hotel Europe is opposite the station. The Mariatheresien Strasse, Museum Strasse, Goldens Dachl (Golden Roof) and Hofkirche are all in the centre of the town. The Mariahilfe and St. Nicholas’ Church (where Bernhilda got married) are on the other side of the Inn.
Fulpmes and the Stubaital are both real places.
Salzburg and Kufstein can both be reached by train from Jenbach.

SHOPPING

There are two Spar shops in Pertisau. The bigger one is between the boat landing stage and the Tourist Information Office. The smaller one is near to the Karwendelbahn, in the Pfandler hotel. There is also a Schlecker (similar to Superdrug) further up the road from the Tourist Information.
There is a Spar shop and a larger MPreis in Achenkirch.
Maurach has a larger Spar shop and an MPreis, and several other shops, too.
If you are self-catering, it might be worth going to the large MPreis just up the road from Jenbach station, before getting the bus up to Pertisau, if you are going to arrive after the local shops have shut.
The Post Offce in Pertisau is combined with the Tourist Information Office. There are Post Offices in Maurach and Achenkirch, too.
There are also numerous souvenir shops everywhere.

ETA more clickable links and Post Office information.
ETA2 to fix some broken links.
ETA3 to fix some more broken links.
ETA4 to fix another broken link

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Achensee (Tiernsee) Information
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 14:48 

We've stayed at the Knappenhof twice. It is right by the lake and about ten minutes walk from the boat landing in Pertisau or the Karwendelbahn. The proprietors speak a little English. They have self catering apartments and also do bed and breakfast. They can lend bicycles and walking poles, too.

We've used the apartments and have been very happy with them. They were clean and spacious. The kitchenette is just that - no oven, but quite adequate. The owners are willing to provide a bag of fresh rolls outside the door every morning, so there's no need to go shopping before eating breakfast and making packed lunches.

We had a very good meal at the restaurant at the Appartements Central. We also enjoyed an evening with typical Tyrolean food and music at the Langlaufstüberl.

If you want a rainy-day expedition try the Schloss Tratzberg near Jenbach. There are buses every hour from just outside the filling station next to Jenbach railway station. Parts of it reminded me of the description of the Schloss Wertheim in Gillian. It's been owned by the same family since the middle of the nineteenth century. I kept looking for Marie! :?

If you walk from the top of the Rofanseilbahn to the Dalfazalm, you can get very good cakes at the gasthof.

I think the museum at Jenbach is brilliant, particularly the winter sports exhibition on the top floor!

Edited to fix broken links.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 19:26 
Arguing with your guardian

I have been to Pertisau every year now since 2003 and except for one occasion I have stayed at the Hotel Rieser. This is located on the main street about five minutes walk from the lake.

It's not cheap but the facilities are first rate. There is a lovely indoor and outdoor pool as well as a nature pool. There are also several different saunas and steam baths available. The treatments in the spa are pretty reasonably priced (depending on the exchange rate) and the therapists are very good. I always have a whole body massage when I go and it leaves me feeling very chilled.

There is a "mountain relax" room with views of the mountains from either water beds or balancing chairs with herbal teas on tap which is great after a long walk and a sauna or even just to sit and read when the weather is bad.

There are also various activities provided free by the hotel such as aquarobics and walks. It also has tennis courts for those so inclined (and a pool table and skittles in the basement).

The food is delicious and seems to get better every year. You have to choose the main course (three to choose from) of your evening meal at breakfast time (this seems to be pretty standard at hotels in the area), there is always a vegetarian option and it always sounds interesting. You get five courses including salad and it is beautifully presented.

As I said before, it isn't cheap but I do think it is good value and I always come home feeling that I have had a holiday. I go with Inghams but you could easly book direct although I'm not sure it would be much cheaper.

Edited by Lottie, wearing her mod hat, to update the link to the hotel.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 00:12 
Climbing with your knees bent

I am just back from Pertisau. I flew with Aer Lingus from Dublin to Munich and from Munich got a train to Jenbach,where I popped over to MPreis for a coffee before getting the bus to Pertisau (no change at Maurach) Of course neither the train or boats run at this time of year.

Following annah's recommendation, I stayed at Hotel Reiser and was not disappointed.

I couldn't ski (bad back) but did get both cable cars up the mountains, watched skiers and tobagganers and took a sleigh ride in a horse drawn sleigh. The scenery was spectacular.

I tried to walk to the Dripping rock, but sadly the track wasn't cleared the whole way along. Anyway, I highly recommend a Winter visit!

Winter photos

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 04:40 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

note to self: learn to take better photos before visiting pertisau next summer

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 09:14 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

What glorious pictures, I feel a savings scheme coming on. I have only been there for the day in summer but that looks even more special.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 May 2011, 06:06 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

Just on my way home from a visit to Pertisau and the Achensee - a group of us tried to walk to Gaisalm, but the path has been washed away a little past the Dripping Rock, and is now impassable. I don't know when or whether it will be fixed, but right now (May 2011), you can't do that walk.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 May 2011, 11:27 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I've only been once myself, and would love to go back some day :) we stayed in the Hotel Tyrol, which was very comfortable, and nicely situated, just a few minutes walk from the lake. We went with Inghams, and went on their trips which were well worth it; we even then took the train to Hall after being there on a said trip to explore on our own steam :) Also Crystal world is a must visit - it's an amazing place.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 May 2011, 21:21 

Likewise I have only been once. I stayed at the Wiesenhof Hotel and travelled with Intravel. It was a great holiday but rather more expensive than my usual trips! Would love to do it again though.

As far as the hotel went it was excellent - half board with superb food. Would recommend Inntravel to anyone as well - they do a lot of walking holidays and this one was billed as a self-guided discovery holiday i.e. you stayed in one place (Pertisau) and had (very) detailed maps and written instructions for a number of fantastic walks - all starting from the hotel.

Edited by Lottie, wearing her mod hat, to add a link to the hotel.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 May 2011, 15:54 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

Really nice website started all about the area. I found it via Abi's blog. Not sure if the authors are CBB-ers?

http://tiernsee.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 04:46 

And another website that might help those seeking accommodation

Bed and Breakfast Pertisau

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 10:22 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

JS wrote:
Really nice website started all about the area. I found it via Abi's blog. Not sure if the authors are CBB-ers?

This is a lovely website, a delight to explore :D

I wish I could remember the name of the Pension I stayed in, it was just perfect. Will do some research in old emails to see if I can locate it.

I really disliked Jenbach/Spartz though that may have had something to do with my strange state of mind when I was there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 20:27 
Saying you only know three German words

ETA: Tiernsee site just got updated today with a detailed description of climbing the Tiernjoch/Mondscheinspitze, with 24 photos and a map, for anyone who's interested! (mods, I promise I won't be plugging the site every time something is updated, but i thought this really might be of interest to folks who don't regularly look at the site/subscribe... :) )

JS wrote:

'Hilda' is Mora on here... She lurks a lot. And I've finally joined after years of lurking too. And many thanks for the compliments!

We stay at Appartments Seerose each time, they're just up from the Caroline/below the Pfandler, there's only 3 apartments, but they are really lovely, and the lady who runs them is a gem. She doesn't have much English, but her son is there frequently and he does. The interior decor of the 2 person one that we use makes me think of Simone's room in New House.

The path from The Dripping Rock to Gaisalm is definitely open again.

For those of you going more inclined to hiking, the path from the Dalfazalm down to Seehof (the nearest to that taken in the mist in Joey and Co) is utterly beautiful, and one of the quieter paths. It's like walking through nature's Cathedral. Also, in the 2nd third, quite similar to the Valley of Adventure as described by Enid Blyton, although the waterfal is in the wrong place.

Also of note... The Mondscheinspitze (aka Tiernjoch)... The maps mean what they say when they say only for the experienced. The path is distinctly worse than the one taken by Grizel, on both sides. It's rated difficult, but so is the hike up to the Rotspitze, and believe me, they are two very different kinds of difficult. The Rotspitze one is fine for anyone who doesn't mind a little scrambling. Mondy is in a league of it's own. That said, I still get a massive kick out of having done it. Particularly as we got to the top and then saw the mist sweeping in. Still thanking God that we just got past the worst bits (including Grizel's ledge) before it surrounded us.

The path from the Barenbadalm to the Wiesenbachsattel and the Wiesenbachalm is lovely.

One of my favourite things about being back there is the locals ability to remember faces - in a week of having the Achenseecards, we got on remarkably good terms with the ticket collector on the boats, and even the one we got on the train 4 times recognised us later in the week as we walked past Seespitz. (he was rather like Herr Marani).

"...but remember for your guidance in hours of peril, that the soul of man is unconquerable; no pain, no ignominy from without, can ever crush or smirch it, however much spirit and flesh may suffer." Far Away Moses

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 21:06 
I do love the site, Nell. Thank you for starting it. It brings it all to life so much (and as I posted on the site) I'm utterly convinced your Chalet to be more likely to be the 'real' Chalet than the Hotel one!

I can look at the photos and imagine myself away there ... :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 15:51 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Have just finished a re-read of The Chalet Girls in Camp. :?: Is the Baumersee based on a reall location? Does anyone know? Many thanks. :?:

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 09:22 
Saying you only know three German words

Helen McLelland said no, it wasn't - there are any number of little lakes it could have been etc.

However, if you follow the road from Achenkirch over into Germany, you first come to the Sylvensteinsee, a lake that is smaller than the Achensee, but long and thin. It's not very far, about 15 miles IIRC. Realistically, it is too big and the wrong shape to be the Baumersee... but, keep going, along the Isartal (basically the back of the Karwendal/Tiern range of mountains) and you curve round to the Barmsee, a little roundish lake, in Germany, not all that far from the Achensee as the crow flies and 50 miles maximum by road.

When they climb the mountain and see the Tiernsee in the sunset, the direction is right for the mountain behind the Sylvensteinsee.

Quote:
To the southeast they could just see a faint blue gleam. Pg 124 Armada p/b

This is possibly borne out because when we climbed the Rotspitze range (which we posit is the Sonnjoch range) we could see the Sylvensteinsee to the north west.

So, our theory is that the Baumersee is a composite between the Sylvensteinsee's location and the Barmsee's name and shape. But whether EBD went to either is a different matter!

A little extra point - the Barmsee is very close to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, which is not far from Oberammergau - and that whole area is famous for it's wood carving, which is referenced by EBD when Jo mentions Gottlieb Strönen - "one of the greatest woodcarvers in Tirol" (who I don't thicnk really existed, sadly.)

:)

"...but remember for your guidance in hours of peril, that the soul of man is unconquerable; no pain, no ignominy from without, can ever crush or smirch it, however much spirit and flesh may suffer." Far Away Moses

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 16:14 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Thanks, Nell, for such a full answer to my question about the Baumersee.
I agree, Gottlieb Strönen doesn't seem to have existed. I tried to do some research on Wikipedia.de but didn't find him.

Vielen Dank!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 00:23 
Buying your school uniform

My tip is don't go in May - it is the month between closing the ski season and opening the summer season. Most of the hotels are either closed or doing repairs so noisy and pool etc not open. Restaurants also seem closed at this time.

Temperature wise May can be misty and drizzly, or baking hot (too much for English folk) but you will still see bits of snow even at the edge of the lake path.

The Kristall hotel was disappointing when we went 4 years back. Service wasn't friendly or helpful at all, and accommodation not great.

Boat trip around the lake is fun, we walked from Pertisau to Scholastika, had lunch there and then got the boat back. Also took the steam train up to Mayrhofen I think. The coal dust really did get everywhere and was choking. I kept finding smuts in my bra after, not sure how they got there! Mayrhofen itself was quite commercial and disappointing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 11:10 

I found this 1925 photo of Pertisau. I thought it might interest a few here. Apologies to those not on Facebook.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 12:38 

Thanks, Caty. That seems to be fine for non-Facebook users.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 12:02