Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 15:15

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Achensee (Tiernsee) Information
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 15:30 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

Caty wrote:
I found this 1925 photo of Pertisau. I thought it might interest a few here. Apologies to those not on Facebook.

Oh these are great Caty - and work for non-Facebookers :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 01:46 
Going to tea at Freudesheim

I might be able to squeeze in a trip to Pertisau on a business trip ... would 2 days do me or do I want more?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 04:45 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I think 2 days in Pertisau at this time of year is plenty. It won't give you time to explore Jenbach or Innsbruck, but you'll get a good flavour of the place.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 09:00 
Reserving an embroidered picture

We've had to cancel our trip. We had booked for skiing the first week of February, but our new rescue dog isn't ready for us to go away yet. Fortunately the lady who runs the B&B in Pertisau is really nice and has let us move the booking to June for some mountain walks instead of skiiing. Actaully, we'll see a lot more CS things this way as in February we wouldn't be exploring much.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 09:29 
Having a say in the Sale theme

Pado wrote:
I might be able to squeeze in a trip to Pertisau on a business trip ... would 2 days do me or do I want more?

It depends what you want to do and how long you actually have. If it's arrival on day 1 and departure on day 2, you will find yourself VERY pressed for time.

If you just want to go across the lake on the steamer, perhaps walk to the Dripping Rock, catch the train to and/or from Jenbach, and perhaps see the church there, you could probably just about manage it, but it depends when you're going. During the season, the train and steamers start fairly early, but in the shoulder seasons (April and October) they run only a few times a day so you might struggle a bit or have to use the buses instead.

You certainly won't have time to do all that AND see Innsbruck or any of the other towns mentioned in the books. Innsbruck is basically a day in itself if you do it properly.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 11:49 

KB wrote:
in the shoulder seasons (April and October) they run only a few times a day so you might struggle a bit or have to use the buses instead.

We visited in April the first time, it was a sort of changeover month - many hotels were closed for maintenance/preparation for the summer and I don't remember being able to go om the steamer - we used the local bus service and our car.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 12:25 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Pado wrote:

If two days is all you've got, then take it. As KB says, you won't be able to do everything, but you'll see the lake and the mountains, which will bring the stories to life more readily. It will almost certainly leave you wanting to go back and stay for longer, but the same could probably said after a stay of a week or more!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 21:26 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

I've been in October a couple of times, and the place is totally dead, with almost all the hotels closed, and so on.

Last time I went was one April, and although there were steamers (they aren't actually steamers these days, of course, but diesel or whatever) on the lake, they weren't due to start until 1 May. Nor, alas, was the little steam train that still chugs up and down the mountain to Jenbach (I've done that trip, too, but be warned - it is a tourist thing and thus rather expensive).

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 22:16 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Nor, alas, was the little steam train that still chugs up and down the mountain to Jenbach (I've done that trip, too, but be warned - it is a tourist thing and thus rather expensive).

However, if you're staying for a week, and want to travel on the boats and the cable cars too, you can get an Erlebniscard which gives you a week's unlimited travel, as well as free entry to various museums. This year it costs €59 which is less than the total for a round trip on the lake(€18), a return trip on the train (€29.50) and the two cable cars (€19 and €14).

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 02:13 

Mrs Redboots wrote:
I've been in October a couple of times, and the place is totally dead, with almost all the hotels closed, and so on.

Last time I went was one April, and although there were steamers (they aren't actually steamers these days, of course, but diesel or whatever) on the lake, they weren't due to start until 1 May. Nor, alas, was the little steam train that still chugs up and down the mountain to Jenbach (I've done that trip, too, but be warned - it is a tourist thing and thus rather expensive).

This year the shoulder seasons are 1-28 May and 6 Oct to 2 November. During this time the trains and steamers run, but far less often. The timetable is here. Compare it to the full season timetable here.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 23:47 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

KB wrote:
This year the shoulder seasons are 1-28 May and 6 Oct to 2 November. During this time the trains and steamers run, but far less often. The timetable is here. Compare it to the full season timetable here.

Not good news for me, a friend and I were planning to go in April. We'd been hoping to go from Jenbach Pertisau by train as neither of us are good travellers on buses winding their way up a mountainside.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 00:32 

Annied wrote:
KB wrote:

Not good news for me, a friend and I were planning to go in April. We'd been hoping to go from Jenbach Pertisau by train as neither of us are good travellers on buses winding their way up a mountainside.

You'll have to change it to May then.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 01:00 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Easier said than done I'm afraid, my friend has to be back for her job at the University by May. She can't take leave during term times.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 06:38 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

For what it's worth, the winding bit isn't too long - only about 5 minutes. In's pretty flat to Fischl and then by the time it gets to Eban, you're in the valley and it's flat. Even the bit that climbs isn;t too bad - just really one hairpin bend. Have a look on google Earth or maps and you'll see.

http://achensee.info/wp-content/uploads ... enbach.pdf

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 22:44 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Thanks for the reassurance Caty, that doesn't sound as bad or as long as I'd feared. If the worst comes to the worst we'll just have to get off halfway up and do it in 2 stages!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 09:33 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

We finally made it to Pertisau yesterday and for anyone, who like the 2 of us, is prone to travel sickness on buses, I can now say the bus journey was absolutely fine and neither of us had any problems at all.

The weather hasn't been nearly so good this past week, but we were fortunate in that we arrived in Pertisau to blue skies and sunshine and were able to do all we wanted to do, ie find the plaque in the library, the Furstenhaus, the Hotel Post and the Dripping Rock before the weather closed in, the rain started and it became too chilly for comfort.

As others have already mentioned, in April, a lot of the shops, cafes and hotels are closed. There were also some major roadworks going on by the lakeside.

Sadly, my camera chose this trip to play up for the very first time, so the only one of my photos that came out at all, was the one of the plaque.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 12:40 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

It looks as though you chose a good day to go - it seems to have snowed overnight!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 22:42 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

We were very lucky in that we found a very accurate weather forecast online. It meant we had the choice of going yesterday when it would start dry and sunny and reasonably warm but end up cold and wet, or today when it would start cold and wet and end up even colder and snowy. Not surprisingly we opted for yesterday. Today, exactly as predicted, we ended up with snow showers here in Oberaudorf. In Pertisau, which is considerably higher, I wouldn't like to think what the conditions must have been like.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2014, 00:51 

Just back from my what turns out NOT to be my first trip to Pertisau. I did take the 2 days in late May - travelled with my grown daughter, who (despite my best efforts) was never more than a polite listener to EBD's books. She loved Pertisau, though, so there's hope!

Determined to arrive in the best CS style, we took the cog railway up. We were the only passengers with luggage, but our carry-on size bags easily fit under the seats. This was a highlight of the trip, absolutely beautiful scenery and I think I took pictures of every house along the way.

We transferred to the boat in heavy rain, which cleared soon after we arrived in Pertisau. There were few rooms available online when I booked, but we stayed at the Hotel-Pension Rosenegger, which is right near the tourist information office, and perfectly fine. There were only a handful of guests there but the hotel was clearly gearing up for the summer season. Helpful staff and a nice breakfast.

After a coffee break, we went up the Karwendahl lift, where I discovered that I'd actually visited Pertisau years ago! After we marveled at the view of the lake, I wandered over the to ski slope and - lo and behold! - my father and I had skied there when I was 15 (no, our tips did not rush to cross one another). I convinced him that we could "follow the trail" down the mountain as some other skiers were doing, instead of just skiing the short slope at the top, and it turned out to be a bad decision. That year, there had been little snow, and we soon ended up walking along a road, carrying our skis, and trying to converse with farmers about how to get back to town. If only I had known I was in Briesau....

We wandered around town quite a bit, had a lovely meal at Via Pasto and another at the Hotel Post (just because). Took the boat around the lake in terrible weather, and slogged over to the Sixenhof Museum in Achenkirche on the recommendation of folks here - lovely place.

D now says Pertisau is one of her favorite places on earth, and I already knew it would be one of mine....we hope to return one day.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2014, 21:37 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Link to Achenseebahn on the front page is broken, should be http://www.achenseebahn.at/index.php/startseite.html

notthatiaminanywayplanningatriptothatpartoftheworld

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 15:15