Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 13:58

Post subject: Re: Question: Chalet School CBB anthology - any interest??
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 14:24 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I think this is a great idea! I'd never realised (or thought TBH,) how much legality and protocol there would be for this sort of thing!! Very interesting to find out! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2009, 21:25 
Buying your school uniform

aitchemelle wrote:
I think this is a great idea! I'd never realised (or thought TBH,) how much legality and protocol there would be for this sort of thing!! Very interesting to find out! :D

As far as using the CS characters, they are copyright of Girls Gone By, and although I feel they are less likely to go to court than J K Rowling, you will be infringing copyright if you publicly publish. I checked that out when I decided to print a selection of short stories for myself, and when I looked on eBay the prices that fill-ins were going for were so high I decided that I could finance the book (All £3.50 of it), by getting a couple printed and selling on eBay. However, as I said GGB said that would, strictly speaking infringe copyright.

I'm sure it wouldn't matter so much if you only advertised on here and with the New Chalet Club (I'm not sure the FOCS would approve!). I didn't get a ISB number, so didn't need to send to all the five libraries.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2009, 21:50 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Margaret wrote:
As far as using the CS characters, they are copyright of Girls Gone By, and although I feel they are less likely to go to court than J K Rowling, you will be infringing copyright if you publicly publish.

Actually there's a big legal difference because JK Rowling (or rather Warner Bros) have trademarked her characters which give her many more legal rights over them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2009, 22:01 
Scolding a Middle for slang
Scolding a Middle for slang

The characters are not copyright. We looked into this when first Lesley and then I published our books. Naturally we were very careful to check this. You cannot copyright characters, which is why HP and others are trademarked.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2009, 22:35 

Quite agree with Pat. When I was completing "Cornelia" I looked into this very carefully. You can use the characters and the setting but what you can't include is include passages of text from existing books as this is infringing copyright.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 21:24 

[quote="tiernsee"]Quite agree with Pat. When I was completing "Cornelia" I looked into this very carefully. You can use the characters and the setting but what you can't include is include passages of text from existing books as this is infringing copyright.[/quote]

Going OT, I see on Wikipedia that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalet_School

you've got "Surprises for the Chalet School" coming out in the summer? Do we get any hints about plot?

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 20:07 

Thanks Mouse for the question.

Hmmm...to give some hints. The novel is set after The Chalet School and the Island and happens over the summer and in parallel to Peggy. The basis of the story is following Madge and Jem in Canada. I always felt quite sorry Madge more or less disappeared from the books once she went to Canada (except for the rare guest appearances) and wanted to write a book specifically for her. It is fortunate that in Peggy plenty of news is provided about events in Canada. There are, of course, many facets to the story and "surprises" but I'm not going to give anything more away now.

I am hoping the novel will be published in the Summer but can't give any firm date at the moment. It is going through final editing soon, and needs coverart produced. Given that the only consistently negative feedback I received about "Cornelia" was the cover I have insisted on something far more traditional this time.

I will post on here when a firmer date is known. Thanks for the interest.

Jackie

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 21:05 
This is all so interesting ... it's something that's entirely new to me. I looked for your book on Amazon Teirnsee, becuase I would very much like to read it. I'm sure you know that there's only one there at the moment (for something like £45 ...!!!) so I've put in to be notified when another arrives for the published price.

My book is with a publisher at the moment - 70 000 words, 20-or-so chapters, EBD in style, GO but all my own work. You know that publishers take an age and although I'm (sometimes!) hopeful hearing everything on this thread has made me wonder if going this way might be an option if things don't go as I hope.

As regards the anthology, I would want to be paid. I have so little money, but I can write, and that's a way to get by. As much as it's nice to do work for free one has to live. I will keep watching and see what happens here, anyway. And I'll keep looking for your title Tiernsee!

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 11:53 
Invested as Form Prefect
Invested as Form Prefect

As regards legal deposit libraries, you don't actually have to send a copy to all 6 automatically. You must send one to BL, but you only need to send to the others if/when they ask for a copy, which must be within a year of publication. In fact, there's an agency which requests copies on behalf of all 5 of them. There used to be a restriction on what Aberystwyth could ask for - had to have some connection with Wales I think, but I'm not sure if that's still in force.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 13:58