Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 29 Nov 2020, 11:01

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: GGBP News
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2011, 15:12 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

JB wrote:
Just had an email from GGB announcing that A Difficult Term for the Chalet School by Lisa Townsend is now up on their website. Sorry, Lisa, I've forgotten your CBB name but i'm really looking forward to this one which covers the missing term between Three Go and Island.

ETA GGB are looking for suggestions for the cover design as they don't currently have one in mind.

This sound interesting I've always wondered what happened that turn, I was sad when I found out there wasn't a book coving this term all you find out is that the drains went bad in the book after. :( so I will have to buy this. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 15:36 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

GGB have announced they're publishing an Antonia Forest fill in. I am very excited. :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 16:49 
Checking the board for match fixtures
Checking the board for match fixtures

That looks like the story that was written for the MCR a couple of years ago. We encouraged Sally to send it to GGBP and she said it had been accepted. It was great, and I'll certainly be adding it to my next GGBP order.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 21:26 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Oh, I was wondering when that would appear! It really was good - definitely going on my list.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 23:06 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Aha. I think I remember some of that, although i'm slightly confused because there was another fill in on (I think) Live Journal by (I think) Lizarfrau.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 09:44 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Yes, it is Sally's book - it covers the term following the events of Attic Term/Run Away Home. She put it on MCR first and, as Lottie says, we all encouraged her to submit to a publisher. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in print as IMO it was the best fanfic I've ever read.

My fic also covered the term after AT/RAH and is on Archive of Our Own now, rather than LJ. I enjoyed writing it but it really wasn't in the same league as Sally's story.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 14:35 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I've just posed a question about e-books and GGB in Recommendations - plus poll! - if anyone is interested in responding :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 14:19 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Is that the one where Patrick goes to Broomhill and it turns out really really badly? If so, I enjoyed it, but I absolutely HATE the idea of Antonia Forest fill-ins being published. :shock: Don't know why.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 15:34 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

It's the one that was in the Middles Common Room, not the one on LJ if that helps. I'm a bit confused about which was which.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 23:23 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

Emma A wrote:
Is that the one where Patrick goes to Broomhill and it turns out really really badly? If so, I enjoyed it, but I absolutely HATE the idea of Antonia Forest fill-ins being published. :shock: Don't know why.

Perhaps the same reason people hate Chalet School fill-ins - because they weren't written by the original author?

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 10:43 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

I've just got an email saying GGBP have announced they will be publishing Jo of the Chalet School, but there's nothing about it on their website yet.

Also:
Monica Edwards - Punchbowl Midnight
Clare Mallory - Leith and Friends
Malcolm Saville- Mystery Mine

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 11:39 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

Caty wrote:
I've just got an email saying GGBP have announced they will be publishing Jo of the Chalet School, but there's nothing about it on their website yet.

Also:
Monica Edwards - Punchbowl Midnight
Clare Mallory - Leith and Friends
Malcolm Saville- Mystery Mine

Oh wow - Leith and Friends!!!! My all-time favourite non-series, non-boarding book! I dug my copy out the other day and dipped into it. Same frisson of pleasure at certain parts......

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 14:15 
Borrowing rouge from the make up box

These titles won't be listed on the GGBP website just yet but I'd expect them to go up there sometime in the next few weeks - most likely during July. That's an educated guess, by the way - I don't have inside knowledge of when they'll be posted there!

Just to clarify the situation: Topsy Turvy books, whose latest catalogue just came out, always have special permission from GGBP to list the new titles which will be published before their next T-T catalogue comes out, so that their regular customers can pre-order through them. They also state clearly that those wishing to order directly from GGBP need to wait until the new titles are listed on the GGBP site to place their orders.

Also, just in case anyone is thinking of ordering any books from GGBP in the next few days, they are closed all next week, re-opening June 20. Any orders (or for that matter, any queries) they receive either by e-mail or snail mail during that time will be taken care of as soon as they re-open.

Hope this helps.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 19:21 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

I'm wondering why they're publishing Jo Of which is quite easy to find rather than one of the harder to find Chalets or one of the non-Chalets that they haven't published yet.

Looking forward to the new Clare Mallory book. She's one of my favourite authors that I've discovered through GGBP.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 08:42 

macyrose wrote:
I'm wondering why they're publishing Jo Of which is quite easy to find rather than one of the harder to find Chalets or one of the non-Chalets that they haven't published yet.

Probably because it's so difficult/pricey to get a copy with all four of the original NKB illustrations (the only copies on abebooks are £160.00 and £165.00 :shock: ). Also it has a lot of little cuts, which add a great deal to the storyline.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 09:58 
...and Results
...and Results

And if they want to publish the whole series, they got to publish the easliy available ones some time. This has a lot of popular scenes, and is likely to go well.

A lot of people are waiting for GGBP to publish various books in order to replace their shabby/read to peices Armada editions, and there are others who are aiming to collect a complete set of GGBP, so I don't think they will have too much trouble selling it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 19:10 
Glad to be back at school

KB wrote:
macyrose wrote:

Probably because it's so difficult/pricey to get a copy with all four of the original NKB illustrations (the only copies on abebooks are £160.00 and £165.00 :shock: ). Also it has a lot of little cuts, which add a great deal to the storyline.

My copy is a hardback of the 1988 version but I will still probably get the GGBP one to go with the rest that I've already got.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011, 16:07 

ChubbyMonkey wrote:
Sorry if this is a tad irrelevant, but any idea if they'll be re-printing some of the first published books and if so when?

I really, really want a complete collection one day (as in, a life ambition fulfilled) but I missed them when they first started, and I think there's about five I still need to get which are out of print. So while I am always a fan of new prints coming out (and thankyou for letting us know!) I do sometimes have small panic attacks that I'll end up spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds getting the couple that I missed...

I completed mine thanks to them publishing them :) Have you emailed them personally to see if they will be re-publishing them?
My ambition is to own a full set of ggbp ebd titles -I'd love copies of 'They Both Liked Dogs' and 'Kennel Maid Nan'. ido still search second hand book shops but with no luck so far!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011, 18:13 

CM, (and anyone else who may wonder) the fact that GGBP themselves have gone out of print on a title doesn't always mean that it is now only obtainable second hand at huge prices. I don't know which titles you are looking for, but if you go to the website, you will find a link in the section on books to a number of dealers who may still have new copies. (It's below the list of out of print books). If you click on the name of each dealer, you will see which titles are available, mostly at prices which are little more than the original GGBP price. Good hunting!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011, 21:01 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

I don't know if it's appropriate to recommend a seller on here but Caroline58 on e-bay has a number of GGBP books for sale. They are only 2 or 3 quid more than the GGBP selling price and, I believe, she is a member of this board as well so it's all good :).

(Mods please remove this post if it's inappropriate.)

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 29 Nov 2020, 11:01