Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 20 Oct 2020, 06:18

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: GGBP News
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 19:36 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

D'oh! Amazon have delayed my copy! Caroline, is it too early to ask what your next fill in will be? :wink:

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010, 07:48 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone - and apologies for the sudden silence, I've been away for the last week.

Laura - no more fill ins on the horizon at the moment. After three back to back, I need a break... :D

Kathy - as far as I can remember, that particular experiment is a dramatised version of one from the 1920s school chemistry text book I bought, with Bill playing the part of the text book...

So, although we would consider the products of combustion of sugars / carbohydrates to be as you suggest, the results I describe in Deira are as stated in the 1920s text book with most of the carbon remaining in the test tube as the "black residue"....

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010, 11:46 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

Caroline, started to read Deira yesterday and I am already hooked :)Congrates for another great book!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2010, 16:44 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Caroline, I loved the book. I was supposed to be saving it for my holiday next week, but I just couldn't resist. Was amazed to see Merrill Lynch mentioned in the notes, as I worked for them for about 7 years and no-one seems to have heard of them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 20:35 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Chris S wrote:
Caroline, I loved the book. I was supposed to be saving it for my holiday next week, but I just couldn't resist. Was amazed to see Merrill Lynch mentioned in the notes, as I worked for them for about 7 years and no-one seems to have heard of them.

Funny, I hadn't either, and I've just this minute heard Phoebe on Friends say she nearly got a job there! :lol: When something crops up once, it just keeps on cropping...

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 16:44 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

I've come onto the board specially after a bit of an absence to find out whether people are discussing Deira. Because I've just read it, and, uniquely for a filler, when I got to the end of it I had the same sense of loss as I used to get as a child reading the originals for the first time! Caroline, I think it's a wonderful book. I won't include any spoilers, but I loved the period detail, the science lessons, the scenery, and of course getting to know better a character who we don't see that much of. It was so true to the original that I found myself wondering at times whether you really wrote it, or simply came across an unpublished EBD manuscript in a loft somewhere :lol: :lol:
Thanks very much, and I hope once you've had a break you'll be arm-twistable into writing another book!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 07:11 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks very much, Jonty - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 04:49 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

I've now reread Deira with all the books and fill-ins up through Head Girl, and found it an excellent fit as well as a fine read on its own. Thank you, Caroline. :)

(Sorry about the chemistry question. I wouldn't have worried so much that I was missing something if I hadn't known your degrees were in chemistry! I still find it scary that the gas piped into people's homes used to be made by very similar reactions to the girls' chem lab -- lots of carbon monoxide contributing to the flammable portion. Not that explosions due to natural gas aren't also a problem, but it usually takes a bigger leak than carbon monoxide poisoning.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 21:08 
Presenting your school report

I've just finished it and really enjoyed it - I think it's on its way to becoming one of my favourite fill-ins. Thanks Caroline!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 23:36 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

I also enjoyed it!

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 16:29 
Arguing with your guardian

I'm going to order my copy next week and hope it arrives in time for my flight to Ireland, I also have a two hour coach journey once arrived in Ireland.

I have nearly all the fill ins now and enjoy reading the Chalet School books.

Wish somebody would do them as 'talking books' so I can have them on my 'gadget'.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2010, 08:11 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

I'm still waiting on my copy -its being sent by seamail and hasn't arrived yet :(

BTW Noticed it was your first post susanstitches- welcome to the board!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2010, 13:27 
Saying you only know three German words

I am still waiting for mine too though two other books arrived this week this is the one I really want. :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 22:29 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I bought my copy of Deira at a recent Gather but I need extracate my books from a very inaccessible set of shelves at mums and was thinking I might do a mini reread from school at via the fill in's to princess and then see how far through the series I get before I give up. Does it read better in series order?

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 22:47 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

I read mine straight off and really enjoyed it - but am now planning to do an early CS re-read including the fillers/prequel. I did think about doing that first and then decided I wanted to read it NOW and was very glad I'd done so!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2010, 13:04 

I read mine straight off too - it's mostly about Deira herself, so you probably don't need to read it within the series, although it's always interesting to do it that way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 23:05 
Arguing with your guardian

Santa duly delivered Deira under the tree (via my 77 year old father who is the conduit for Santa purchasing chalet school books, both new and old!) - I just finished it, I thought it was great - very true to the originals and a lovely style.

Thank you Caroline.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2011, 14:43 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

It was one of my Christmas presents and I really enjoyed it. I have also given a copy to friends who are also CS fans.

I just have a query please - whom is the girl on the front cover next to Joey please? I can't work out whom she is from the descriptions in the book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 15:58 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Erm (wanders upstairs to find a copy...)...

OK, so we have Joey dressed as a Clown, Rosalie as a Shepherdess (I'm guessing she's the one you couldn't identify? Mary tells us about Rosalie's costume at the top of page 156 and then there's some more about her, her crook and her flowered garlanded hat on page 158), Marie as a Fairy Godmother and the Robin as Little Red Riding Hood. Oh, and Deira as a Spanish Lady, of course.

If I remember correctly, the cover comes from a Girls Own annual (or similar - I've got the original version on my work PC, not this one) and the only thing that was changed other than adding the text, was Deira's hair, to suggest a bun, and the frock colour - originally it was all black.

HTH,
Caroline.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 22:00 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Just wanted to say, have read the book and it's my favourite out of all the three books you've written. I think you keep getting better and better as a writer and am hoping you'll write a fourth book soon! Thanks very much for writing it

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 20 Oct 2020, 06:18