Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 13:12

Post subject: FOCS & The New Chalet Club
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 22:42 
Buying your school uniform

Hi I was just wondering about people's opinions of FOCS & The New Chalet Club. I'm thinking about joining them. Do people find their magazines/journals good? Are they worth the subscription? I was also wondering are The New Chalet Club still doing their journals as their website looks as if it hasn't been updated in quite a while? Also does anyone know if The New Chalet Club are still selling The A-Z of Chalet Characters?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: FOCS & The New Chalet Club
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 20:01 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

I've been a member of FOCS since 1997, and I love it :) plus you can now get all of EBDS books thanks to them, so I would certainaly recomend you join :) I also have made one or two friends through it, and keep in touch with them via facebook these days :)One of my close friends was perswaded to join them a few years ago, and she also joined us here a few weeks ago after pestering on my part :)She has not looked back!

FOCS is definintly worth the subscription as you get lots of little extras too to read :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 22:34 
Being rude to your sheepdog

emma t wrote:
I've been a member of FOCS since 1997, and I love it :) plus you can now get all of EBDS books thanks to them, so I would certainaly recomend you join :) I also have made one or two friends through it, and keep in touch with them via facebook these days :)One of my close friends was perswaded to join them a few years ago, and she also joined us here a few weeks ago after pestering on my part :)She has not looked back!

FOCS is definintly worth the subscription as you get lots of little extras too to read :D

I used to be a member of both and really loved it. I went to some study days with them and a magical trip to Guernsey to see the La Rochelle and Chalet sites. Then I had children and my membership lapsed. I have been thinking of rejoining though. The articles in the magazines were very entertaining!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 10:58 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

I joined both in 2000 (the CS was the first thing I searched for when I got my first computer!). Ten years on I am still a member of FOCS and think it is well worth the subscription and I really enjoy reading the Magazine and other bits and bobs. I've also found the Sales & Wants list very handy for both selling and buying. I stayed with the New Chalet Club for a few years but didn't get the same cosy, friendly feel from it, of belonging to a special group. When I realised that I didn't have the same feeling of excitement when the New CC magazine arrived in the post, as opposed to the FOCS magazine, I lapsed my membership and haven't regretted it. I'm sure other people will have different experiences though!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 20:01 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

I've never tried the New Chalet Club, but I've belonged to FOCS for years, and I always enjoy my newsletters. Since I've been on the CBB, the 'conversations' via the FOCS newsletter seem verrrrrrry slow, given that it's 3 months between magazines, but it's very warm and friendly and jolly. Much more sedate than here though, and not a smidgeon of nortiness!

I've often wondered who on the CBB is also a FOCS member. Emma, I think I recognise your name from FOCS magazines, but I'd love to know who else there is.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 20:53 
Arguing with your guardian

I joined FOCs a few years ago and think it's great! I enjoy reading the magazines and get very excited when they drop through the letterbox! Well worth the subscription i say!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 21:39 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

I'm in FOCS too :) I'd agree with the "sedateness" and there are certain things that you're not allowed to talk about & they don't make it into the mag, but on the whole I love reading it, and I've made a few friends through it who I meet every other month in a comfy cafe in town. We have great conversations! And actually it was Emma T above who got me into it in the first place so I can blame her for a whole pile of connected events :P :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 22:04 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

I belong to FOCS too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 08:21 
Going off with your particular coterie
Going off with your particular coterie

Elbee wrote:
I joined both ... I stayed with the New Chalet Club for a few years but didn't get the same cosy, friendly feel from it, of belonging to a special group. When I realised that I didn't have the same feeling of excitement when the New CC magazine arrived in the post, as opposed to the FOCS magazine, I lapsed my membership and haven't regretted it.

Exactly my experience!

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 09:22 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

I've subscribed to FOCS for years but let my NCC sub lapse last year and haven't missed it. The magazines had a lot less content although there were some excellent supplements a few years ago which were the reason I continued to subscribe. I met the NW Chalet Group through FOCS including Lottie. There seem to be fewer articles in the FOCS mag than there were and the confab takes up more space - poss because we're all writing on here?

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 15:25 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

I joined FOCS about 10 years ago, long before I got my laptop and discovered the CBB. I did think about leaving, but when I considered the price of 4 magazines a year which give me a lot of pleasure, I decided to stay. I think it still costs less than £10 a year which is pretty good value.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 15:47 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

I'm a member of both. I have written for both :) I like FOCS very much but at the moment it does appear to be a bit same-y. There are a lot of descriptions of trips to Achensee! That being said, the NCC could also consider more varied articles (too many musicals!) but I expect both of them are constrained by what readers send in.

I've never used them to buy books so can't comment on that but the lists seem quite long. The supplements are the best thing about the NCC, IMO. They did the A-Z of Chalet characters and their most recent was a booklet on 100 years of Guiding in relation to the Chalet School which while not being quite my thing, was very well-written and put together.

Does anyone know why FOCS don't publish their annual accounts to members? The NCC do and I've always wondered why FOCS don't.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 17:11 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

emma t wrote:
I've been a member of FOCS since 1997, and I love it :) plus you can now get all of EBDS books thanks to them, so I would certainaly recomend you join :)

Just to claify for Chloe, Girls Gone By Publishers are an Off-shoot of FOCS but you do not actually need to be or have ever been a FOCS member to buy the newly published GGBP books, EBD or otherwise!

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 17:38 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

I've also been a member of both - my FOCS membership came first and I'm still a member today, whereas (like others it seems) I let my NCC membership lapse a few years ago.

I think it was because the NCC magazines seemed a lot thinner than the FOCS mags, and the NCC seemed a lot less open to member articles - everything seemed to be written by a select few people and they didn't seem at all interested in readers submitting stories for the mag. FOCS, on the other hand, is mainly written by the readership which, though it might mean rather too many articles about holidays in Pertisau, does make it much more inclusive and welcoming and so on.

Of course, that all mattered more to me when I had time to write short stories and other articles :roll: and I did enjoy the NCC supplements and still consult the A to Z to this day.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 19:31 

Mia wrote:
Does anyone know why FOCS don't publish their annual accounts to members? The NCC do and I've always wondered why FOCS don't.

I've always assumed this is down to their structure. NCC is run by a committee and has an AGM, etc (similar to community groups with which i've been involved), whereas AFAIK FOCS is simply run by Ann and Clarissa and is less accountable to its members.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 22:51 
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night

Another one who was a member of both but in recent years has let her NCC membership lapse, I did love all the extra bits you could buy through NCC that FOCS has stopped producing like mugs, binders, post cards etc.. but both seem to have dwindled away now.

FOCS can sometimes seem a bit dated with reminiscing about old clothes/hair etc.. but I do still enjoy my mag and meet up with my local group.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 23:57 

JB wrote:
Mia wrote:

I've always assumed this is down to their structure. NCC is run by a committee and has an AGM, etc (similar to community groups with which i've been involved), whereas AFAIK FOCS is simply run by Ann and Clarissa and is less accountable to its members.

I thought all membership bodies were equally (legally) accountable to their members though? :? I'm not massively bothered; just curious really.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 10:19 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Sugar wrote:
emma t wrote:
I've been a member of FOCS since 1997, and I love it :) plus you can now get all of EBDS books thanks to them, so I would certainaly recomend you join :)

Just to claify for Chloe, Girls Gone By Publishers are an Off-shoot of FOCS but you do not actually need to be or have ever been a FOCS member to buy the newly published GGBP books, EBD or otherwise!

But you can borrow the books through the FOCS Library, can't you? Was that not what Emma meant?

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 16:47 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

I belong to both FOCS and NCC and I have to say I enjoy FOCS more. There's just more to it, more articles, extras and such. And it's through one of them that I found out about local meetings (through which I met Elder In Ontario).

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 03:52 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

I belong to both and report to both about goings on in the Sydney and the Bush local group.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 13:12