Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 02:47

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Girls Own: Phyllis Matthewman
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011, 11:14 
Discovering that JMB lives next door

It’s amazing what you can find by using Google; I just typed in 5 Belgrave Terrace and up popped a picture of it, and there was an advert for the sale of said property, a couple of emails and I got permission to put their picture on the site.
But it’s the time taken getting responses from government departments, the expense with £10 a copy or £23 if fast tracked.
It’s like putting together a jig-saw puzzle with bits being sent from all round the country, and waiting on the post whether its first class, second class or snail’s pace, but this is one puzzle that will have several bits missing, but hopefully enough to get the general picture

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2011, 11:54 

I have now added photos of varies places in Austria that Elinor would have visited.
I have added the various churches that Elinor attended, and of course Birth & Death Certificates
Photos are on the Photo page, and the Birth & Death Certificates are on the document page
If you are visiting the same pages, you might need to refresh the page by pressing F5 on your keyboard
If anybody has photos relevant to Elinor please email me from the email button on the bar below this message

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 12:01 

I thought you might like to see a response from my emails to the Girl Guides
Quote:
I would be interested to know if this is the same Elinor Brent – Dyer who wrote the Chalet school series of books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elinor_Brent-Dyer). As we have a Guiding centre in Switzerland that was built around 1930 called Our Chalet, and I would love to think they was some connection.

Let me know how your search goes, hopefully I can get you some more information from our archives

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 13:16 

It is possible that Elinor may have visited Switzerland whilst visiting Pertisau in Austria in 1924, she did spend eight weeks out there, and Switzerland is just over the boarder

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 13:28 

Can anybody tell me when Elinor made her first reference to Girl Guides (if she did) in any of her Chalet School books?

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 14:05 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It's very early on. In the second book of the series, Jo of the Chalet School, published in 1926.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 11:42 

Is there any mention of the Girl Guides in the Oberland series? From what readers read in the Oberland series does it seem that Elinor is as precise in the locality, as she is in the Tyrol? Do you think her descriptions match the topography?

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 12:01 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

The Guides don't seem to travel to Switzerland with the school, unfortunately.
As to topography in the Oberland, I think some people have done some work on that and might be able to refer you to specific bits in the CBB site or archive, but I've a feeling that she's a bit less precise than in the Tyrol. I think that while many of us have visited Pertisau and have found the places in the books, I don't think it's possible to identify the precise equivalent of the Gornetz Platz - although the girls do make trips to real places like Interlaken and Lucerne.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 12:57 

From what I am reading in Elinor’s biography that the Chalet school moved to Oberland Switzerland in her series starting 1952. Elinor’s alleged one and only passport was issued on the 4th July 1922 – 1932, meaning that if Elinor had visited Switzerland, it would have been twenty years after her passport ran out, to writing about it.
In 1932 I don’t think Elinor could have forecast the Second World War starting in 1939, and its implications, with the Chalet School in Austria. With the Nazis occupying Austria 1938, Elinor had to re-think of the scenario of an English school in German occupied Austria, hence moving it to Guernsey 1939
I feel she may have visited Switzerland on her eight week holiday, and stored it on the back burner for future (Past) reference; hence her memory at 58 would be a bit faltering to exact details.
Whereas the chalet school in Austria was started on her return, (1924) her Oberland Switzerland episode was written twenty years later, and on memories clouded by age. In those days Elinor did not own a computer, so would not have the access that we have nowadays to gain references that she could write about.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 14:30 
This is all so interesting ... I'm really looking forwaard to hearing about what emerges fro your investigations, Bryan.

I've always just read the book without wondering about the whats, whys and wherefores of anything to do with the writing of them. And your points are pertinent. I await to see what else you come up with!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 16:46 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

Thank you very much for all this wonderful insite to Elinor, Bryan!It's amazing to read it from someone who actually knew her :) only just got around to reading this thread - and found it fasinating! Thanks again!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 20:31 

I have put two pictures on the photo page
One is Michaelchurch Court which is believed to be 'Plas Howell' the fictional building where the Chalet School was housed from the early chapters of The Chalet School Goes to It (1941)
The second picture is Poston House which is Joey’s beloved ‘Plas Gwyn’ (White House)
If anybody has read the Chalet School Goes to It, do the pictures reflect on the story

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 21:39 
Gosh, those pictures really don't look like what's in my mind ... the school especially, looks very small. Isn't that the school (in the books)where there's astone verander around the front of the school, with some stone steps leading up to it?

The Round House isn't actually round, of course, so that's different too. And Plas Gwyn isn't how I thought of it, either. I thought of it as double-fronted (door in the middle) and much more symmetrical than the 'real' one.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 22:12 

I get most of my data from Elinor's Biography by Helen McClelland,
These locations are from page 208-209, but one obviously needs to know what Elinor wrote to understand what Helen has written
'Plas Howell', (Michaelchurch House) which housed The Chalet School
I have added a new picture of this house as it is a big Estate House
'Plas Gwyn' (White House) Housed the Maynard Family (Just added this picture)
And The 'Round House' (Poston House) The Russell’s home
The Round hose is based on the round section on the left of this picture

The locations are based on research by two enthusiastic local Chalet School fans

Last edited by Tuttsclump on 13 Jul 2011, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 22:28 

I am well aware of the interest that my site is drawing and with this I do research thoroughly before submitting to the website.
Checking the stats of those visiting the site
1. United Kingdom 27.03 %
2. United States 2.25 %
3. Canada 1.80 %
4. Australia 0.90 %
5. Ireland 0.90 %
6. Other unknown 0.45 %
7. Czech Republic 0.45 %
It seems the word is spreading, but to be accurate I need as much information from you the genuine fans, on any information, photos or news stories that you can provide

Last edited by Tuttsclump on 13 Jul 2011, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 23:07 

My apologies for posting the wrong White House picture on the website
its because I was led to believe it was 'White House' when in fact it is the Whitehouse Manor at Vowchurch. I have also put a new picture of Michaelchurch Court, which better displays the magnificant house it is.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 13:18 

Weston House School
1918- Moved to Western House, West Street Fareham. Which later became Letheren’s and Stead and Simpson’s (now Somerfield and La Senza).
1923- Miss Flavell and Miss Alsopp appointed joint Headmistresses.
1928- In November acquired No.69 High Street, Fareham, a Georgian building where the school remained for 58 years. The school was then named Wykeham House after William of Wykeham a great educationalist of the 14th Century.
Elinor Brent-Dyer was a teacher for 36 years and did teach at a School in Hampshire (information found on Google), but we do not have any other information.
From an email received from Wykeham House School archives

So the now named Wykeham House School is not the school building that Elinor taught at

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 15:00 
Tuttsclump wrote:
My apologies for posting the wrong White House picture on the website
its because I was led to believe it was 'White House' when in fact it is the Whitehouse Manor at Vowchurch. I have also put a new picture of Michaelchurch Court, which better displays the magnificant house it is.

It still doesn't look like the picture of Plas Gwyn I have in my imagaination ... I shall have to realign my ideas with what is more likely to be!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 15:09 

Unfortunately as I have not read the books that this house is referred to, I don’t know what it could look like.
Reading Elinor’s biography on pages 208-209 it refers to Michaelchurch Court (Chalet School location)
The Whitehouse at Vowchurch (Plas Gwyn) and Poston House as (Round House)
These are the houses that I have found and are the ones as indicated.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 16:35 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

Perhaps Michaelchurch Court is the location and Elinor used her own ideas as to the description? The White House too, does not match the description, but Poston House does.

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 02:47