Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:19

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Girls Own: Phyllis Matthewman
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 00:21 
Discovering that JMB lives next door

I have written “Elinor’s Diary” on the website with a tongue in cheek attitude
I believe that in my researching, and with undeniable evidence both from St Helen’s School and Morton House School, the time frame for Elinor’s holiday cannot be in the middle of 1924,as stated by Helen McClelland on page 135
Thus when Elinor chose to spend her 1924 Summer Holiday in Austria of Elinor's biography because Elinor was teaching at Morton House School at this time. I have found quite a few inconsistencies which I hope to clarify, once I get in all the information I hope to have in soon
With what Helen has said on page 135 and the below passages seem to conflict and contradict each other
St Helens quote; “During the holidays she took a trip to the Austrian Tyrol, and this inspired ‘The School at the Chalet’ (1925)”
Helen McClelland states in her Biography of Elinor page 150
Just happened to come across a reference to Elinor in the school’s magazine; St Helen’s Own…………….but another contributor to St Helen’s Own during the early 1920s was a Miss Kirkby whose first name was Lilian. Moreover it turned out that Lilian had been at St Helen’s during exactly the same two year period as Elinor, and at this time she had been the magazine’s editor………………“Lilian Kirkby who taught at St Helens between 1921 and 1923 was the same person as the Lilian in Elinor’s dedication………Especially in view of the fact that Lilian Kirkby’s contributions to the magazine included a piece describing her experiences during a visit to the Austrian Tyrol in 1922 or 1923
I believe this to be the true events and base my research on these time frames to back up my reasoning

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 19:32 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Have you seen the latest issue [No 61] of the New Chalet Club Journal, Bryan? There's an article by Evelyn and Christopher Wilcock which has many references to various county record offices etc. in the footnotes - basically it's a research into the 'Brent' element of EBD's name; but they, too, have found things that seem to run counter to Helen McClelland's published findings. Of course Helen was writing a while back, and I'm sure she would have been fascinated by all these new discoveries, had she lived to see them.

So don't feel you have to be worried by divergences in what you've found out as opposed to what Helen has written; you've been able to put more time into the research than she was able to, I suspect, as I believe she was writing to a fairly strict timescale, and I know that the second edition of Behind the CS contained several amendments and additions to the text of the first ed. [I'm not sure which one you have?]

[If you'd like me to send you a copy of the article, just PM me and I'll let you have it.]

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 19:47 

My research is based basically on Helens own writing, it’s because I put all the details into Microsoft excel sorted it and didn’t ring true in some respects, also because of contacting St Helens School with the article I posted on this forum earlier, plus finding the other article regarding Morton House school which indicated Elinor was teaching there in 1924. Will contact you PM

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 20:45 

You asked what edition do I have, well it is the second edition Bettany Press 1996

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 23:29 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

If you're able to get hold of The Chalet School Revisited published by Bettany Press, that has an interesting article by Helen which has additional info to Behind the Chalet School. It's upstairs and i'm not but I'm pretty sure it has info on Elinor's half brother. I think it would help with the research.

As Abbeybufo says, don't worry about discrepancies. I think Helen started the book around 30 years ago. I bet she'd have loved to use the internet.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 16:20 

Elinor was Baptized Elinor Maria (Mary) Brent-Dyer 12th December 1930, and was confirmed 15th May 1932 Elinor was living at 5 Belgrave Terrace.
Elinor’s date of birth is given as 6th April 1901
Certificate on Elinor’s Page; Documents

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 16:43 

I have been reading a copy of Moretonia the School Magazine for Morton House School where Elinor taught in 1923-1924. There is various mentions of Elinor in November 1923 through to June 1924, which confirms my believe, that Elinor went to Austria in 1922.
See
In 1921 Elinor was known as Miss Dyer at St Helen's School
From “Girls in Green”. A book commissioned by St Helen's wrote:
The Chalet School Connection;
In 1921 Miss Dyer, a typical 1920s spinster schoolmistress with rather untidy baggy clothes, arrived to teach English to the junior girls.

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.u ... e-1924.htm

if you read through pages 3 & 6 you will see Elinor is still referred to as Miss Dyer( late 1923 early 1924),but on Page 1 (Editorial) Elinor signs herself as E. M. Brent Dyer (without the hyphen, June/July 1924)

A possible scenario
Elinor worked at St Helen's Northwood Middlesex 1921-1923; she is reported as applying for her Passport in July (4th) 1922.when she was still known as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer, it is confirmed by St Helen's that she did go on her holiday in the school holidays possibly whilst teaching at St Hildas (1921-1923) Elinor then worked in Moreton House School Dunstable Bedfordshire in 1923-1924 for a year, she then moved to Weston House, Fareham possibly 1925-1926, before moving back to Leeds in autumn 1926

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 22:03 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

That link to the magazine is really interesting Tuttsclump. There is so much about Elinor having parties, reading Lady Macbeth (!) and running all kinds of activities in the school. She sounded most energetic! I wonder why she didn't stay longer - it seemed a lovely school.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 22:28 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I loved the description of her birthday party: it sounded so CS-ish :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 22:30 
Being rude to your sheepdog

I enjoyed the story of her visit to Innsbruck. It makes the stories in her books pale in comparison!

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 23:08 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Quote:
I enjoyed the story of her visit to Innsbruck. It makes the stories in her books pale in comparison!

THANK YOU SO MUCH TUTTSCLUMP!!! :D :D

I have been looking for this forever. The school archivist posted it on here but I think it was accidentally deleted!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 13:40 

It appear that Elinor was not quite the droll person she appeared to be at St Helen's,
Whilst at Morton House School Dunstable, she was an active participant in all school activities
I have added a Schools Page on the website outlining Elinor’s progress through the main schools that I can trace so far

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 16:58 
Tuttsclump wrote:
It appear that Elinor was not quite the droll person she appeared to be at St Helen's,
Whilst at Morton House School Dunstable, she was an active participant in all school activities

She does emerge as having a finger in every possible pie, and to be very involved in the musical and dramatic side of things - clearly the Music Appreciation classes couldn't have taken place without the loan of her gramophone and records (she also seems to have lent the school a signficant number of the books in the school reference library) and she was accompanist for all singing lessons. And I'm tickled to hear of her playing Benedick and Lady Macbeth in the Shakespeare play readings!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 18:02 
She does sound a lot like Joey, to me. A finger in all the pies and boundless enthusiasm and energy. Was she an extrovert? I find constant conatct with people exhausting, myself, and need time out to get the energy to do what's needed. Elinor comes across as needing to be around people and to be fully involved in everything. It's very interesting!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2011, 17:12 

I have updated the ‘Diary of Events on my website which I hope will reflect a more accurate series of events Most have been confirmed from Archives in Hereford, Leeds, Surrey, and Hampshire, and From Electoral Rolls from Surrey, and Hereford. And Newspaper cuttings available, and the Passport Office
I believe this is a more truer version of events than we were first led to believe.
Obviously delving back over 50 years is reliant on available material that comes to light. I hope to obtain hospital records of Elinor’s state of health leading up to her demise in 1969
I have also added drawings on the respective homes that we shared with Elinor, you'll need to click on the respective houses
Meanwhile I’ll keep on researching
Bryan

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 14:42 

I have now revamped Elinor’s Section of the website changing the background and making it the Main Page when accessing www.chaletschool.co
I have added ‘Dyer Family’ which gives the family from Charles Morris Brent Dyer’s birth onwards
I have added newspaper cuttings from the Surry Mirror of Elinor’s passing away in the ‘Press Cuttings
On the Phyllis & Sydney’s page I have added Sydney’s notice of Death under Documents
It is obvious reading the articles that Elinor did visit the Matthewman’s frequently and that the Matthewman’s were in the Redhill/Merstham district from 1940, although I cannot find any connection before 1957, as yet!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 16:03 

Correction

I have checked with someone in the know who confirms that it does appear that Morris & Nelly had agreed to a ‘Deed of Separation’ and that Morris & Emily Drowley were living together citing that they were married. Although they called themselves Morris & Emily Dyer, it doesn’t look as if Emily did change her name as Morris leaves ‘everything else to Emily Sarah Drowley in his will
According to Helen McClelland’s Biography that Morris’s Will left £150.00 to his son Charles Arnold Lloyd Dyer ‘and everything else to Emily Sarah Drowley And I make no provision for my wife, Eleanor Watson Dyer, from whom I am living separate and apart by deed of separation. Nor for her two children. ‘He refers to "his" son and "her" children'.
Because I am updating the site from my own researching and not always reading from Helen’s Biography of Elinor I had assumed that Charles Morris and Emily Drowley was married as indicated in the 1911 Census, which was incorrect
Perhaps I’m being prudish and possibly looking at the situation through Elinor’s eyes, believed they had really got married
I can now see why Elinor did not want to refer to her past, and possibly why she changed her birth year.
I have changed the offending passage to reflect the possible scenario

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2011, 11:53 

I have updated Elinor’s page adding links to Olive Mason who went on to marry Ernest Farrar if you click on 'Click here to see details' and have if you have your sound on you will hear “Brittany” by Ernest Farrar, I have also added Westoe Village, as it was
I have also updated Phyllis Matthewman’s books as well as added Sydney Matthewman’s Poems on the ‘Home’ page
I will be updating Elinor’s books soon
Any books with the [Publisher] [Number of pages] [in brackets] has been verified on Google Books and some on Amazon.
Not all books are available now

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 19:45 

I have updated Elinor's Books
All books with [Publishers] and [number of pages] have been varified on Google Books
by checking on Google Books http://books.google.com/ where you will be able to get the ISBN number. or Girls Go By http://www.ggbp.co.uk/,

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2011, 20:28 

I have now acquired the photos of St Nicholas School in Westoe Village plus the Plaque that is still there.
If you click on link it will take direct to the Westoe Village Page
http://chaletschols.homestead.com/WestoeVillage.html

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:19