Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 02:15

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Girls Own: Phyllis Matthewman
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2011, 19:08 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Wow! You have been busy! :shock: :shock: The site is looking good.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 12:10 
Discovering that JMB lives next door

I have added much more to the site with pictures of 54 Winchester Street, details of the Farrar’s Family, and the Dyer Family. The Marriage certificate of Charles Morris Brent Dyer to Eleanor Watson Rutherford a map of South Shields and its locations associated with Elinor and her family, including the gravestone of Elinor’s Mother, Grandfather, and Henzell, her brother, There is music of Ernest Farrar’s ‘Brittany’
There is an extension on the site, when you go into Elinor’s Page click on Links
I have had an interview with Ruth Jolly, and an article will be in the next ‘Friends of the Chalet school Magazine’. I have made contact with Mary Varley a Local Historian of South Shields who has helped tremendously not only with photos, but also a host of local knowledge, and is at present trying to get a photo of St John’s Terrace, where Charles Morris Brent Dyer was residing on the day of his marriage to Elinor’s Mother.
I must thank ‘Girls Gone By’ & ‘Bettany Press’ for their help and guidance

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 14:02 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Thanks for alll your work Tuttsclump, the site is very impressive.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 12:11 

When I started the website, I still didn’t realise how much interest there still was in Elinor and her books.
Living with Elinor did give me an advantage over others, and I hope through the website I can reveal all that I knew of Elinor. When I received an email from Mary Varley through her researching Ogle Terrace, through Google she came across my site, and she has been a fantastic source of local knowledge and photos of South Shields. Through trawling through ‘Findmypast’ I have been able to trace relatives connected to the Dyer Family (See Dyer Family page) and with Mary Varley’s researching and photos have found the gravestone of Isaac Henzell Major Rutherford (Elinor’s Grandfather) and family members including Hannah (Grandmother) and Henzell her brother in Westoe Cemetery. Through the South Tyneside Local Library, I have gained numerous images including one of 54 Winchester Street, which is connected to 52 (Elinor’s House), but gives an idea the fabric of the house in Elinor’s days. I have obtained the Marriage Certificate of Elinor’s parents which shows that Charles Morris Brent Dyer was living at 5 St John’s Terrace just round the corner to Winchester Street. I have obtained a map of South Shields which indicates all the localities connected to Elinor during her stay in South Shields
I hope to add more info, stories, and photos in the future

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 14:10 
Gosh, Bryan, this is brilliant. All this extra information firmly supported by hard evidence - it's fantastic and so good to help build a more complete picture of Elinor.

I haven't had any response from anyone on Mount Pleasant, and I will get round to trying to locate which property was Green Gates. Was it only the Matthewmans who were lving there, or did Elinor live there with them too?

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 14:21 

As far as I know although Elinor Met Phyllis when she was 9, I do not think they ever lived together before. They did both stay on holidays both in Hereford and Merstham, but this was only for a week or so. Elinor only moved to Merstham permantly in early 1965, before we all moved to Redhill mid 1965. It was the move in 1965 that started the sharing of expences, and finally buying the house 56 Woodlands Road between Elinor and the Matthewman's in early 1968
I forgot to mention in my previous posting that Mary Varley is a Local Historian of South Shields

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 14:23 
Ah - thank you. So when I finally locate the correct property, it belongs to the Matthewmans' story only. That useful in terms of asking for some recognition from the local council, then.

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 02:15