Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 13:17

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Girls Own: Phyllis Matthewman
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2011, 21:34 
Discovering that JMB lives next door

I have already ordered “Behind the Chalet School”, Elinor’s Biography, from Amazon, and I have bid for numerous Chalet books on eBay, so hopefully will have a better knowledge of Elinor’s writing soon.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 09:16 
Tuttsclump wrote:
I have already ordered “Behind the Chalet School”, Elinor’s Biography, from Amazon, and I have bid for numerous Chalet books on eBay, so hopefully will have a better knowledge of Elinor’s writing soon.

I'd be interested to hear about which books you're able to get, and what you think about them!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 11:21 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

TBH I want you to read some of them (especially the later ones as that was when you knew her) and think 'I remember that happening to X', or 'That sounds like ....' or even 'OMG I'm Reg'

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 13:01 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Tuttsclump, this is absolutely fascinating! It's a shame Helen McLelland never met you as you would evidently have been able to flesh out the account of Elinor's life with the Matthewmans. It's good to hear that there was no acrimonious rivalry between her and Phyllis. It seems likely that the abrupt change (deterioration) in writing style in Prefects can be accounted for by some cognitive decline accompanying Elinor's last months.

Please keep posting - I do hope we're not putting you off with all these questions and comments!

I hope you enjoy the biography, and I would urge you to read some of the earlier books - they are the best. My husband read the first two before and during our trip to Pertisau this January, and he enjoyed them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 13:19 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Yes I too was going to urge you to read the earlier books. There is a sad but definite falling off in the writing in the very late ones.

There's a double volume containing the first two books coming up on ebay tomorrow :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 15:05 
I'm very interested to hear if you think there's any parallels between Elinor and her writing, as in: I see in the Chalet School books that girls are described as 'dainty'. Elinor herself was dainty, so I see why she wrote that.

Although, of course we know now that Elinor wasn't 'dainty' herself!

It's just that we often wonder if Elinor wrote into the books things she particularly desired herself. Or if they were simply 'stories' with little authorial voice.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 22:32 

I have now received the results from my search of the Register of Electors from Reigate & Banstead office.
Phyllis & Sidney were living in Gervase Cottage from 1957
Moving to Albury Edge around 1961
I moved in with them in early 1963
Elinor joined us at Albury edge late 1993 although she did not stay here long enough to be registered
We all moved to Oxford Road Redhill in 1965
We all moved to Woodlands Road Redhill in 1966
Elinor died peacefully in her sleep on 20 September 1969
Sidney died 1970
I left Woodlands Road 1976
Phyllis died on 6 July 1979.

Last edited by Tuttsclump on 18 Jun 2011, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 22:36 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

Thanks very much for all your contributions and input Bryan. It's much appreciated. I hope you are enjoying this interest in your early life with Elinor and the Matthewmans - it's fascinating to us.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 22:48 

I am expecting Elinor’s Biography to arrive tomorrow (Thursday) and have won
The School at the Chalet, Rivals of the Chalet School, 2 in 1 Chalet School Trials/Theod, The Chalet girls in Camp, Trials for the Chalet School, The New House Mistress, Jo of the Chalet School, The wrong Chalet School, The School at the Chalet, Shock for the Chalet School, Mary Lou of the Chalet School

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 22:58 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

I hope you enjoy reading them! It'll be interesting to see what you make of them from your somewhat different perspective.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 09:20 
Tuttsclump wrote:
I am expecting Elinor’s Biography to arrive tomorrow (Thursday) and have won
The School at the Chalet, Rivals of the Chalet School, 2 in 1 Chalet School Trials/Theod, The Chalet girls in Camp, Trials for the Chalet School, The New House Mistress, Jo of the Chalet School, The wrong Chalet School, The School at the Chalet, Shock for the Chalet School, Mary Lou of the Chalet School

This is such a nice selection of books you've won! I really hope you enjoy reading them all, as well as reading them as 'research'!

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 09:47 

Talking with the elderly lady friend of the Matthewman’s I was reminded of a toy parrot that used to hang upside down from a red ring in the window of Gervase Cottage. Whether it always did this or had slipped over, it was always prominent in the window overlooking the High Street.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 18:46 

I have received my copy of Helen McClelland’s Biography of Elinor Brent-Dyer, and have started to digest it
I have also learnt that Both Helen and Chloe Rutherford have passed away, so will not be able to get any information from that direction.
The Publishers are trying to find the address of Chloe’s daughter, but I don’t hold much hope as I don’t know if she knew of Elinor, but would possibly know of Phyllis

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 18:56 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Thanks again for all this, Bryan.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 18:57 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Tuttsclump wrote:
Talking with the elderly lady friend of the Matthewman’s I was reminded of a toy parrot that used to hang upside down from a red ring in the window of Gervase Cottage. Whether it always did this or had slipped over, it was always prominent in the window overlooking the High Street.

I love this so much

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 17:07 
Did Elinor enjoy cooking, I wonder? Was she a good cook?

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 17:12 

I assume from the title of these postings that it concerns Sidney, Phyllis and Elinor, so with this in mind I have contacted Hereford Reference Library, The Surrey Media, Hereford Electoral Office, Hereford Media, and Leeds Electoral Office, and the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriage at Redhill and Leeds
I hope to have a synopsis of Dates of Birth, Marriages, and Death certificates on all three I have also been in touch with the Publishers of Elinor’s Biography, who are putting me in touch with Joy Wotton, who edits the New Chalet Club's Journal. Although reaching my seventieth birthday this July, it was with sadness to hear of several past members of the Merstham Drama Club, who have passed away. I am hoping to make contact with Chloe Rutherford’s Daughter, but don’t hope much will come of this, as I think she was very young when Elinor died, although she may have read some of Elinor’s books and have been told about by Chloe.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 17:20 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

I know Joy Wotton. She's a member of another list to which I belong. Helen McClelland was president of the Club and wrote various articles as she discovered more about Elinor's life (after she'd written Behind the Chalet School).

Have you come across Girls Gone By? The now own the copyright on Elinor's work and also publish the Friends of the Chalet School journal. They organised the events around the centenary of Elinor's birth in 1894. Members of the group also arrange to put flowers on her grave several times each year.

There is a large network of people who are very knowledgeable about Elinor and who would be very interested in your life with her and the Matthewmans.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 17:21 

Both Elinor and Phyllis cooked very well, I do remember the rabbit stew in Elinor’s house Hereford and the meals I had with Phyllis in Merstham and Redhill.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 20:34 

I have now at last been able to track down Chloe’s daughter Martina, and have had quite a nice chat with her. She has some photos of Phyllis and Sidney, and thinks she has one or two of Elinor which she is going to email me. Martina has reminded me that Elinor owned a Dalmatian type dog called Simon. Do I remember one of Elinor’s books with a Dalmatian on the front cover? Martina has also told me that Joyce Dixon (Her mother) also wrote a couple of books as well.Writing seems to be in the Family!

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 13:17