Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 13:48

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Girls Own: Phyllis Matthewman
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 09:51 
Discovering that JMB lives next door

On Elinor’s books, it is stated in “Behind the Chalet School”
I began collecting them when I was only seven’ she wrote in 1965; adding ruefully that when faced with a house removal, she ‘had over 3,000 to sort out’ This was at the time of moving to Oxford Road Redhill, before moving on to Woodlands Road. If this estimation is true I would estimate that Phyllis & Sidney’s book collection to be between 5,000-6,000, possibly even more

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 12:14 

I have started a website dedicated To Elinor, Phyllis & Sidney, where I hope to put a biography of all three including pictures relating to them
http://chaletschols.homestead.com/index.html. Anybody who might have any photos of Elinor, Phyllis & Sidney, which they would like to contribute, I will put on the site. My contact details will be there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 13:53 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Oh, how lovely Bryan :). I'm sure they would all appreciate that as much as we do.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 15:46 
That's so exciting, Bryan! I'm looking forward to seeing what appears.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 16:01 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

What a great idea - I too am much looking forward to exploring it :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 16:17 

Click on the link below and have a gander
http://chaletschols.homestead.com/index.html
I will of course will stay in this forum, and hopefully will able to produce some more gems of information.
My web page will allow me to show photos I hope to get soon
Reading Helen McClelland's Autobiography of Elinor has been very enlightening and has confirmed that Elinor was with the Mathewman’s late 1963, as it was from Albury Edge, they set off to go to the BBC’s production “Tonight” in January 1964

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 17:26 
Bryan - this is brilliant - thank you! It adds so much to what we know of Elnior, and it's lovely to have such a personal input about her life. Please do stay on this forum, too. Personally, I feel as though you are 'ours' (but I hope that's not too claustrophobic for you ... ), and it's wonderful that you've been able to tell us so much.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 17:41 
Buying your school uniform

[quote="JB"]
Have you come across Girls Gone By? The now own the copyright on Elinor's work and also publish the Friends of the Chalet School journal. They organised the events around the centenary of Elinor's birth in 1894. Members of the group also arrange to put flowers on her grave several times each year.
[/quote]

It surprises me that Girls Gone By don't print Phyllis Matthewman's books, especially given her friendship with EBD. I enjoy her books but some take ages to obtain at reasonable prices. Is there a copyright issue preventing them?

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 17:52 

I can only assume it’s because of Elinor being Chambers, and Phyllis being Mills & Boon, also from phone call with Martina, I gather she sold the “royalties” to Girls Gone By. Martina was left Elinor’s royalties in Phyllis’s will

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 18:14 

Although the picture of Gervase Cottage looks all spruced up, it was not so in the 60,s
An old friend recollects, going to tea with Phyllis and seeing all the plates of sandwiches nicely laid out, with little flags on indicating what they were, only to look up in the corner and seeing a large cobweb dangling from the ceiling.
Gervase Cottage sitting room was spacious, but rather cluttered with dull heavy furniture with a large settee and several armchairs to accommodate the rehearsals so often held there.plus all the book cases brimming with books, spilling out onto the floor

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 18:39 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Not all of Phyllis Matthewman's books were Mills & Boon. Some of her girls' books were published by Lutterworth, among other publishers. I'd be surprised if she left the copyright in her books to anyone but Chloe Rutherford, although I don't know this.

Perhaps her books aren't collectible enough? Having had a browse around Bookfinder, a lot are available for £20 or less, including postage and there seem to be plenty of copies available. Given that, I doubt it would be worthwhile for GGB to publish them.

GGB have the copyright to all EBD's books, whoever published them first.

Brian, I love your plans for a website btw.

ETA There's always GGB's Fun in the Fourth series which publishes titles by various GO authors whose other work is more easily available.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 18:50 

I will ask Chloe who owns Phyllis's copywrite, next time I talk with her.
The Website is running but I am waiting to get the Domain name authorised, at the moment you can view it by clicking on the link
http://chaletschols.homestead.com/index.html when I get the Domain authorised it will be http://www.chaletschool.co please note no .uk
If anybody has any photos newspaper cuttings of anything that I can put on the site, I would appreciate it, plus any ideas I can do to make it interesting for all.If any member of this group needs to be kept informed of updates please join the "mailing list" on the Home Page.
No email addresses will be available to anybody, as they are kept on a secure web hosting.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 19:53 

I have found the book that I remember seeing a dog like Simon on the dust cover, which was not Elinor’s, but Phyllis’s “Magic of the Moon” written in 1967. I think my mind has been playing tricks as I was sure Simon was Elinor’s, but I now realise Simon was Phyllis’s dog as well as Joey

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 22:32 

Another little snippet from my old friend of the Matthewman’s.
She was visiting Phyllis, and found Phyllis sitting at the dining table with sheaf’s of green shield stamps running them over these rollers used in offices for wetting stamps, and sticking them in the green shield stamp books

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 22:39 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

Oh good for Phyllis! I remember Green Shield stamps, collecting them in a book and trading them for gifts out of a catalogue.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 09:20 

Reading through Elinor’s Biography I found that I was right, then wrong, then right again.
Simon the dog was Elinor’s and after her departure become Phyllis’s, although I do believe it spent most of its time downstairs with Phyllis, hence being featured on the dust cover of “Magic of the Moon”
Other facts that have come to light throw doubts on my memory, but as Helen McClelland did have access to a lot of letters written by Phyllis, and also spoke to Chloe Rutherford; it appears there was unrest in the camp at Woodlands Road, more so than I realised. There was rivalry, and as Helen has stated “Professional Jealousy”, but as Sidney did appear so calm, I did not see anything to show the embers simmering in the undergrowth. I can only put this down to Phyllis’s “professional” dignity not to show her feelings publicly I apologise if I misled you all, and can only put this down to misguided loyalties towards Phyllis’s

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 11:16 

Reading back through my postings I realise they were biased towards Phyllis, my pseudo mother, and I being born a male am fallible by nature, have tried to protect her memory. Naturally your forum is based on Elinor, but cannot exclude Phyllis and Sidney who she shared her last home with.
Reading through Helen McClelland’s autobiography of Elinor, it is quite obvious that all three were eccentric in their individual ways, but for commercial reasons had to arbitrate with each other.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 16:52 

The Website I have created http://www.chaletschool.co/ is now running
I need information on Phyllis’s Pen Names Catherine Surry & Jacqueline Yorke? And names of books, as I can only find one book BRIDES OF THE DEVIL. Under Jacqueline Yorke

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 17:13 

Have a look here, Brian. There's a list of Phyllis's books under her various pen names. He lists her as Kathryn Surry and has two books by Jacqueline Yorke.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 17:18 
Bored
Bored

There is one other Jacqueline Yorke - Instruction for adventure, Comyns Ltd 1948

There are three as Kathryn Surrey - note spelling of name
Bees at Marling, C and J Temple 1945
Maids A-Waiting, Comyns Ltd 1948
Sir Alexander Fleming (Red Lion lives no 1) Cassell 1959

I think this is all - no others in British Library catalogue.

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 13:48