Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 05 Jul 2020, 02:41

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: How would you cast a Chalet school film / TV series?
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 13:03 
Learning to stand on your own two feet

Maybe also Reese (sp?) Witherspoon for Joan. Or as Joyce Linton.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 20:11 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

In The School at the Chalet you have Herr Mench, I was trying to figure out who could play him but I've got nowhere.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 20:19 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

moiser30 wrote:
In The School at the Chalet you have Herr Mench, I was trying to figure out who could play him but I've got nowhere.

Jim Broadbent?

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 20:34 

cestina wrote:
moiser30 wrote:

Jim Broadbent?

That might work. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 21:54 
Saying you only know three German words

cestina wrote:
moiser30 wrote:

Jim Broadbent?

Isn't Herr M supposed to be well over six foot, with a hatch of fair hair, and although a gentle giant, quite intelligent? I've only seen Jim Broadbent in a few things, and his Horace Slughorn (HP) is currently stuck in my head, which means I don't really see it. He's too goopy. Bt I'm willing to be corrected with other parts he's played.

That said, I've been pondering that one all evening, and can't come up with an answer I do like! Possibly, because he does look so Germanic, he should be played by a german/austrian actor...?

Harking back, I'd always seen Jo as early Julie Andrews as well. I'm coming round to the idea of HBC as Madge, if she were in her King's Speech/mother in Charlie and the chocolate factory mode.

Robin - the small, edibley cute child in Lord of the Rings. If you've seen it, you know the one. She's a hobbit in Fellowship, and a child in the caves in Two Towers, and I'm sure she features in Minas Tirith too.

On a Lord of the Rings actor thing... Miranda Otto as adult Frieda? She's not quite right in my eyes, but the nearest I can think of.

Just had a brainwave... Imagine HBC in Bellatrix mode, but at 17... Betty Wynne Davis, anyone? Now, who would make a good Elizabeth? What about Nicole Kidman at that age? She's certainly got the hair, and if you think of her in Practical Magic, the sassiness of pre-Goes to it Liz.

The girl who plays Lyndsey in CSI:NY as Nancy, maybe? Anna Belknap, I think she's called. She'd need to be taller, is all.

Thoroughly enjoyable trying to think some of these up whilst family are sitting around listening to music that would make Plato and Joey's toes turn in. Apologies if any suggestions are particularly wacky. I blame the music for most insanity!

"...but remember for your guidance in hours of peril, that the soul of man is unconquerable; no pain, no ignominy from without, can ever crush or smirch it, however much spirit and flesh may suffer." Far Away Moses

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 22:27 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Several of those sound good, I'm happy for Helena Bonham Carter as anything ! Not sure about her as Joey, but Madge I could see.

Would Brian Blessed work as Herr Mensch? Or for Vatar Barr?

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 22:35 

Beecharmer wrote:
Several of those sound good, I'm happy for Helena Bonham Carter as anything ! Not sure about her as Joey, but Madge I could see.

Would Brian Blessed work as Herr Mensch? Or for Vatar Barr?

Personally, I could never see her as Joey. I'm leaning most towards Betty, I admit.

I see Brian Blessed more as Vater Bar. Wasn't he/isn't he very dark haired? It might be quite difficult to get his skin tone to look right for the fairness of Herr Mensch. How about Bernard whatshisname who played Theoden King in Lord of the Rings? He's good and giant like, and fair...

"...but remember for your guidance in hours of peril, that the soul of man is unconquerable; no pain, no ignominy from without, can ever crush or smirch it, however much spirit and flesh may suffer." Far Away Moses

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 22:38 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

DOH !! Sorry, I meant Betty not Joey !!!! :roll: :roll:

Not sure, he seems to be gingery/brown in several pictures -

Brian Blessed

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 23:17 

Standing firmly corrected! I'd forgotten how much I enjoy his face... (something that is a major part of my choosing a character's actor!)

Have to admit, i think of the two options, Madge/Betty, I prefer the Betty option, but then, I'm really not all that fussed on HBC.. (her ability to play two characters most of the time kinda bugs me. She has her good mumsy character and her nutty one. That said, she upped herself in my opinions well and truly in the latest HP.)

I'd love to work Laura Innes (ER) in somewhere... But can't really think of anyone. Likewise Anna Friel.

Who would play Mollie Maynard?

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 06:53 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Anna Friel could be Len: she's got the chestnutty hair and the pretty face. Not sure about the violet eyes but I'm not sure anyone's got violet eyes!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 07:07 

Alison H wrote:
Anna Friel could be Len: she's got the chestnutty hair and the pretty face. Not sure about the violet eyes but I'm not sure anyone's got violet eyes!

Well for me anyway you have just hit on the perfect Len. I think, in my mind Len will now always be Anna Friel.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 07:37 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Brian Blessed is too hyper for Herr Mensch but I think would work brilliantly as Vater Bär. Inspired casting :D

Jim Broadbent is a fine actor, if he seems goopy in a part it's because he has to be - anyone who saw him as Iris Murdoch's husband in Iris will see him quite differently.

Clive Wood, an RSC actor, and featured in many TV series and films, is exactly my idea of the older Jack CliveWood

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 08:41 

Just sent five minutes perusing photos of Jim Broadbent on google, and can't find a single one that makes me think 'Herr Mensch' :( the eyes are wrong and his jowls look too like a Boston Terrier or bull mastiff's. I've also been reminded of why I really don't like him - he played the professor in the Disney Narnia. But that's not his fault, IMHO, it's just one of the most appalling pieces of casting ever. He probably could have played Diggory's uncle far better, if they ever filmed The Magician's Nephew.

Anyway, back to topic... I then went and looked at pictures of Bernard Hill, and he doesn't work either, so I take back my own earlier opinion! I was seeing him as a slightly younger, and shorter haired version of how he is as Theoden, but of course, a fair bit of his facial structure as Theoden is make up.

Anna Friel would indeed make a lovely Len. And violet eyes could be done by contacts! I did know a girl at school who had violety eyes, they were that kind of lilacy blue. She would have been perfect for Wanda, she had that mane of fluffy golden hair, and a beautiful complexion. Sad to say, she has not gone into acting!

What about Heather Graham as Bernhilda? I'm thinking in her Twin Peaks days.

Cestina, I can definitely see where you're coming from with Clive Wood! he's not *quite* as I see him, but very close - and I don't think it's possible to universally please everyone with just one casting choice! ;) I'd be happy with him. :)

ETA: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MyX_V7XDNW4/S8NswIfBvkI/AAAAAAAAFWQ/gt5F6dnMF7M/s1600/heather-graham.jpg - Heather Graham, albeit with a little to much makeup for Bernie.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 18:10 

Very very curious brainstorm/misfiring neural network has just caused me to combine Charlie's Angels (original series) with The Triplets...

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 18:40 
I must admit I've always seen both Mensch girls in their schooldays as the interchangeable blonde girls from the old Timotei shampoo ads - they always seemed to be wearing white dresses and leading horses across a flowery meadow...

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 21:38 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

Amanda Redman as Bill. Benedict Cumberbatch as Mr Denny- I'm not sure why though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 22:22 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Bill Nighy as Plato....

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 22:26 

cestina wrote:
Bill Nighy as Plato....

That is sheer genius! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 22:35 
Buying your school uniform

Love the idea of Helena Bonham Carter as Betty, Brian Blessed as Herr Anserl, and Anna Friel as Len (if we magically de-age or age as required).

What about Stellan Skarsgard as Herr Mensch? Wrong nationality obviously but I think his physical appearance would work. And we could have his son Alexander Skarsgard (Eric the vampire in True Blood) as Gottfried... Lucky Gisela!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 22:50 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Rosemary wrote:

What about Stellan Skarsgard as Herr Mensch? Wrong nationality obviously but I think his physical appearance would work. And we could have his son Alexander Skarsgard (Eric the vampire in True Blood) as Gottfried... Lucky Gisela!

Hmm yes....that works for me, especially as he looks here.

And the son idea works very well! :D

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 05 Jul 2020, 02:41