Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 04 Apr 2020, 22:18

Post subject: Glimpses into a peaceful life 7 - for Amanda M (completed)
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 23:42 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Where it all began

There was a gentle tap on the door. The woman lying back on her pillows eagerly raised her head . She had waited so long for this moment. “Herein Liebling” she called “Come in my precious”. A small head wreathed in golden plaits looked round the edge of the door. “Are you well Mammi?” asked the little girl, coming quietly into the room, despite the suppressed excitement her mother could see in every movement of the beloved body.

“I am very well Liebling. The Herr Doktor has taken good care of me – and of our new family member” and she gestured tenderly towards the big wooden cradle at the side of the high bed. “Come and meet thy little sister, she has been waiting for thee. She is impatient to meet her big sister because she knows you will always be there to look after her”

The three year old crept closer to the gaily painted cradle. It had been passed down the family for generations, carved and decorated by who knows who more years ago than even die Grossmutter could remember. Now it had been made even finer by the addition of soft white sheets, trimmed with lace, and a white silk quilt which had been carefully laid over the peacefully sleeping figure lying in it.

“Oh how pretty!” exclaimed the child “It looks like a cradle for a little princess!”

“And so it is” replied her mother, smiling at her daughter’s excitement. “Take a peek – you may pull back the shawl ever so gently….”. Bernhilda almost held her breath as she stood on tiptoe to lean over the cradle. She could only just reach the delicately knitted shawl that swaddled the baby lying there. “Oh Mammi” she said “She looks like the Christchild lying there”

“Well, maybe more of an Engelkind than the Christchild” said her mother in mild reproof. “I have been thinking about a name for her and Pappi and I have found what we think will be the perfect name for a child born in these troubled times. Our greatest hope for our country and the world is for peace and so we have decided to give your little sister that very word for her name – Frieda, to remind us all that the most important thing is that she and we may live in Frieden - in peace - for many long years to come. Now come and kiss me and then return to die Grossmutter. You may tell her what name we have chosen ……”

Last edited by Secret Santa on 26 Dec 2011, 15:58, edited 6 times in total.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Glimpses into a peaceful life - for Amanda M from Santa
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 10:25 
Playing Impertinent Questions

Thank you for my wonderful story Santa, it was beautifully written and even had my favourite character in :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 10:30 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

That was so sweet :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 21:45 
Bored
Bored

That was a very sweet story, Santa, and I loved the cradle.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Glimpses into a peaceful life 2 - for Amanda M from Sant
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 14:16 

A gentle afternoon with die Grossmutter

Frieda sat quietly at the foot of the giant porcelain-tiled stove which warmed die Grossmutter’s salon. She loved to watch and listen as the 8 year old Bernhilda was instructed by Tante Luise in how to place the tiny glass beads, that looked so like Mammi’s real pearls, on the bellpull she was embroidering for Mammi’s Christmas present. It was better than struggling with the simple cross-stich embroidery that was all she herself was allowed to do at the moment. Though she did wonder where Mammi would use the bellpull, given that they now had a system of modern bells in their flat. But die Grossmutter and Tante Luise had insisted this was what little girls should learn to make.

“Next year” she thought, “maybe I will be allowed to make something really pretty, or maybe even stitch a handkerchief for Papi – or Gottfried” . Then she smiled to herself at the idea of her idolised older brother ever remembering to take a handkerchief with him when he rushed out of the house to school each day, late as usual.

“Frieda mein Kind, come hither” die Grossmutter broke into Frieda’s thoughts. “Thou hast not set a stitch for the past ten minutes, I have been watching carefully. Doth something ail thee?”

Frieda hastily got to her feet and went across to the big Biedermeier armchair in which her tiny but indomitable grandmother was almost lost, though she insisted on continuing to sit there, surveying her salon and all those who visited her, with eyes as sharp as ever despite her nearly ninety years.

“I was just thinking, Grossmamma”, she said “When may I make something pretty like Bernhilda?”

“Thou must still have patience, child” smiled her grandmother. “Thy stitches are not yet neat enough, practice makes the master….or indeed the mistress” she said, quoting the old German saying. “Come, sit at my feet and set at least ten stitches, then I will read to thee, or tell thee a tale of my childhood”

Frieda pulled the little footstool across so that she could sit on it and lean comfortably against die Grossmutter’s chair. “I love your stories Grossmamma” she said “But please, oh please, may we look at the pictures in the book that Papi brought home last week? The one with all the farm animals in?”

“Indeed we may” responded the old lady “I too admire the drawings in that book. Come, set thy stitches like a good child and then shalt thou fetch the book and we will be truly comfortable together”.

Frieda smiled at her grandmother and set to with a will, thinking happily that when die Grossmutter talked about being comfortable together, it nearly always meant a treat from the bonbonniere that filled with sugared almonds, had been amongst the wedding favours traditionally given to those who, like her grandmother, had been bridesmaids at weddings long, long ago.

* Grossmutter's stove
*Frieda's book

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 14:20 

Santa is sorry to spree but would like to know please how to edit the title of the tales he posts....

Ho ho ho :santa:

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 14:27 

Thank you for my story Santa. I love seeing the glimpses into the Mensches family life. That porcelain stove looks wonderful :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 15:18 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Secret Santa wrote:
Santa is sorry to spree but would like to know please how to edit the title of the tales he posts....

Santa needs to revisit the first post of the thread, then he can change the title there, and it will show on the list of threads in the forum, as well as on new posts after the current one :santa:

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 18:43 

abbeybufo wrote:
Secret Santa wrote:

Santa needs to revisit the first post of the thread, then he can change the title there, and it will show on the list of threads in the forum, as well as on new posts after the current one :santa:

Thanks! Ho ho ho :santa:

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Glimpses into a peaceful life 2 - for Amanda M from Sant
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 20:44 
Bored
Bored

I am loving this story, Santa. You convey die Grossmutter and Frieda so beautifully and tenderly. Thank you. :D

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Glimpses into a peaceful life 3 - for Amanda M from Sant
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 12:18 

Backe, backe Kuchen

“Backe, backe Kuchen, bake, bake, bake a cake” sang Frieda to herself as she waited for the summons to the kitchen. It was three weeks before Christmas, the Weihnachtsstollen had been made the week before so that they might rest before being cut for the first time on the 24th of December, Heiligabend. Frieda loved to remember that the Stollen were made in that particular shape in order to remind people of the Christkind swaddled in his clothes and lying in the manger, surrounded by ox, ass and sheep, and heralded by the angels and shepherds.

And today she and Bernhilda, swathed in their long, practical aprons, were going to help Mammi and Waltraud to make many different Christmas cookies and biscuits. They might even make the flat shapes needed to build a gingerbread house. And then they would stick it all together with a syrup made from icing sugar, and decorate it with little bonbons like the ones that die Grossmutter sometimes gave them as a special treat. “And we will get so sticky” thought Frieda joyfully, remembering the previous year when even her mother, wont to be strict with her small daughters, had smiled indulgently at the finger-licking that went on after the little house had been stuck together. “I do love making cookies” Frieda thought. “I wish Mammi would hurry up and call us to the kitchen”

And with that thought came the longed-for summons. Bernhilda and Frieda hurried into the warm kitchen, which already smelled deliciously of Christmas spices and the hot apple juice which was mulling on the stove. “I thought we would begin with some refreshment” said their mother cheerfully, who enjoyed this day as much as her daughters. “So here is some hot Apfelsaft and a Krapfen each” and she gave each child a warm doughnut, fresh from the boiling fat which was bubbling on the stove beside them. “You may turn it in the sugar in that bowl – sticky fingers first and last!” and Frau Mensch smiled happily at the blissful children.

When they had finished their unexpected little meal Frau Mensch suggested that they should each choose two of the recipes to make “We need Pfeffernusse, Wiener Kipferl, Baseler Leckerli, Haselnusstaler, Zimtsterne and Dattel Gebäck.” she said “I myself will make the Cinnamon Stars – they are even more messy than putting together the gingerbread house, if that were possible! And when we have made all that, if there is still time, then we will make the Lebkuchen base for the house – but only when we have enough cookies to fill all the Weihnachtsteller that you will find by your beds on Christmas morning – if of course you have been very good in the meantime” and she cast a mock-threatening look at the girls.

And so it was arranged. Frieda worked with Waltraud and chose to make the Wienerkipferl because she loved to bend the pastry round into the crescent shapes required, and they also made the Haselnusstaler because that was very easy for Frieda to manage since one rolled the pastry into a long fat sausage and then sliced the sausage into coin-like pieces – hence the name of “taler” or “dollar”.

Bernhilda and her mother made the Baseler Leckerli and the Date Kisses and then Waltraud and Frau Mensch also tackled the complicated Pfeffernusse and the Zimtsterne. After several hours the kitchen smelled amazing and every bowl and spoon in the place was dirty. Little fingers had scraped every scrap of leftover pastry, dough, whipped sweetened eggwhite and melted chocolate straight into the mouths of their owners, and everyone thought that they never wanted to see another sweet thing again.

“Frohe Weihnachten!” beamed Frau Mensch as she gave the first of many Christmas greetings in that year. “Frohe Weihnachten” the two girls and Waltraud chorused in reply and then, tired but happy, all four set to in order to restore the kitchen to its former pristine state. But all were happy that the delicious smells lingered on long after they had finished their task.

*Santa has noticed that all the recipes for the Mensches baking can be found in the CBB Recipes thread

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 00:16 

Thank you Santa. You get such a feel for the warmth and love of the Mensches in your story and the recipes look very good and yummy :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 00:29 

I feel hungry now :lol:.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 18:03 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Alison H wrote:
I feel hungry now :lol:.

Me too! Thank you for letting us see these lovely glimpses of Frieda's childhood.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Glimpses into a peaceful life 4 - for Amanda M from Sant
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 11:07 

Already a peacemaker……

Frieda sat on the stairs outside the door of the flat where she lived with her parents, her eleven year old sister Bernhilda, and her big brother Gottfried, now 14 and very prone to teasing his sisters, especially Bernhilda, when he got the chance. Die Grossmutter also lived with them, in her very own salon, cared for by Tante Luise who spent much of her time with the old lady.

“Gottfried is always in trouble at the moment” thought Frieda sadly. “I wish I could find some way of stopping him being so unkind to Bernie. Papi threatened him with a beating if he found him teasing her so unkindly yet again and that would be terrible.” Frieda’s soft blue eyes filled with tears at the thought of such a dreadful thing happening to her beloved Gottfried – and so close to Christmas as well. Maybe Papi would also deprive him of some treat or gifts from the Christchild if he went on behaving so badly.

“He is never as unkind to me as he is to Bernie” thought Frieda “I wonder why that is? Of course Bernie always flares up, even though she is usually so good-tempered, and that makes Gottfried laugh and behave even more badly. What can I do?” she wondered despairingly.

As she was sitting there, their maid Waltraud came up the stairs carrying a large wicker basket full of fresh root vegetables from the market. “Why so thoughtful, Frieda?” she asked. “You look as if you had lost a Schilling and found a Groschen! Is it something I can help with?”

Frieda loved Waltraud – a merry country girl from a village not far outside Innsbruck. She came from a large family, with both older and younger brothers and sisters, and Frieda suddenly wondered if she too had suffered from the sort of teasing that Gottfried was suddenly meting out to Bernhilda – he had never been like that before he went to the Gymnasium, the grammar school.

“Oh Waltraud”, she said “I am just trying to think of a way to stop Gottfried being so horrible to Bernie. Papi says he will take a stick to him if it goes on any longer and I so don’t want that to happen. I hate it when things are all cross and miserable. I do so like things to be nice and peaceful and contented. What can I do?”

“Don’t fret, Frieda” said Waltraud, smiling down at the despondent child. “It is good that you want there to be peace between all of you – but do you know, sometimes it takes a storm before things can become peaceful again. Gottfried has just started in his big school and he has been feeling at a great disadvantage there and has been scared of the older boys so he takes it out on someone weaker than he is – I know it isn’t fair, but that is sometimes the way of things. But he is now beginning to find his feet at the Gymnasium. I heard him telling your mama of friends he had made this week and of the good marks that he is now getting. I think you will find that things will settle again very soon.

In the meantime if he starts to tease then you do your best to distract Bernhilda with some problem that you need help with – sewing perhaps” and she twinkled at Frieda who with the best will in the world was still much less skilled with her needle than Bernhilda had been at her age “and you will find that she will ignore Gottfried in her eagerness to help you.”

With that sage advice she went into the flat to begin preparing the vegetables for the delicious cream sauce made with root vegetables that was to accompany that day’s main meal of hare, sauce and dumplings.

Frieda thought carefully about what Waltraud had said, decided that she was probably right and sighed with relief at the thought that life might resume the contented pattern that had preceded Gottfried’s elevation to the Gymnasium. Christmas would shortly be upon them and she would try not to worry anymore.

With a shake of her long pigtails she got up off the stairs and went inside to see if die Grossmutter would like to be read to from their favourite book for a short time before the summons came to Mittagessen

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 12:14 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

I know this is for Amanda, but I just wanted to say thank you Santa for allowing all of us to share this lovely story.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 18:34 

Thank you Santa. I love seeing Frieda as a litttle peacekeeper.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 21:13 
Bored
Bored

Not only a loving peace-maker but a generous little girl, going to read to die Grossmutter like that so she shouldn't feel alone. And clever Wartraud, whose large family has taught her all the wiles she needs to survive.

Thank you, Santa, for these engaging little scenes.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Glimpses into a peaceful life 5 - for Amanda M from Sant
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 00:27 

Christmas Eve

Frieda lay curled up under her plumeau, eyes half-closed, as she gazed across the room she shared with Bernhilda to the tall, tiled stove in the corner. She could just see the glow of the fire within around the edges of the heavy metal door near the base. Waltraud always made sure that the fire was glowing well when the girls went to bed, and that it would stay in till the morning.

Bernhilda was now nearly 14 and she was beginning to feel that she would like a room of her own but although their flat was spacious the girls would probably always have to share. Eleven year old Frieda, on the other hand, was delighted to sleep alongside her big sister.

It was the night before Christmas Eve and although she was very cozy, and sleepy as well, Frieda knew she would not yet be able to sleep. Tomorrow was always such a wonderful day – a special late breakfast with the first slice of the Weihnachtstollen, singing in the Hofkirche, a walk in the snow, a special meal of carp soup, roast goose and all the accompaniments - and of course the glorious tree which the children were never allowed to see beforehand and ……..presents.

She had tried counting sheep, to no avail. She knew that the sooner she fell asleep, the quicker the morning would come but the more she tried, the more wide awake she became. She thought about what presents she might get – some books perhaps, some games, and oh how she hoped for a new pair of skates!

To pass the time as she lay there she thought back to the beginning of December and to the first Sunday in Advent. That was one of her favourite days in all the year. As soon as it got dark the whole family, die Grossmutter and Tante Luise as well, gathered round the big dining table in the centre of which was a wonderful wreath woven by Mami and Tante Luise out of fresh pine branches, ivy, ribbons and decorated with pine cones. Fixed at regular intervals round it were four large white candles, one of which would be lit on each Sunday in Advent. The scent of the wreath was a reminder of the overwhelming smell of pine that would enter the flat along with the giant tree just before Heiligabend. Frieda loved these early signs of Christmas.

And as they sat round the wreath, enjoying coffee or hot chocolate and the first of the Christmas cookies, each member of the family was furnished with coloured pencils and paper and had to write a list of their Christmas wishes for the Christchild to find. The lists had to be as beautifully decorated as each person could manage – Gottfried’s and Papi’s left much to be desired in this respect – and they were then pinned on a wall in the long hallway so that everyone – and especially the Christchild – could read them. Frieda was always amazed how so many of the things on her list then appeared on her little table on Heiligabend. When she was smaller she had truly believed that it was the Christchild that brought the presents, now she knew it was other members of her family.

And also on the first day of December an Advent Calendar went up in the hallway so that the family could count off the days till Christmas. Frieda was particularly delighted by the calendar this year which had been designed by one of her favourite authors and showed the world of the Wichtelmänner – little elfish gnomes who did kind deeds for those around them.

Then on the 6th of December came another of her favourite days – St Nikolaus. Although she and her siblings all still put out their shoes by the tiled stove in the salon on the night of the 5th, in the hope that they would find oranges and chocolates in them in the morning, it was at school that the main celebrations happened. The Saint came to visit the classrooms and each child had to recite a poem or sing a song. The teacher gave a report to the Saint on each child and if they had been naughty then the Krampus – a big furry monster-like creature who travelled with the Saint, might pretend to hit them with his rod. And for some of the more naughty children in the class it was sometimes a painful stroke and not just a playful one. That had never happened to Frieda thank goodness.

She thought of the beautiful decorations that had slowly been going up around the flat, and in particular the beautiful old Weihnachtspyramid that was brought out every year, along with the carved stable which held the manger, shepherds, the three kings, many animals and best of all, the Holy Family.

She turned over in bed and pulled the plumeau closer, she heard the door open quietly and Bernhilda come in and make her way to bed, she started to say something about the crib that was always placed under their tree, but quite suddenly a wave of tiredness overtook her and she felt herself falling, falling, falling into the deepest of sleeps that would carry her safely through to her completely favourite day of the year – Christmas Eve, the Holy Night when the Christchild was finally born.

The family’s Advent Calendar
The Mensches Weihnachtspyramid

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Glimpses into a peaceful life 5 - for Amanda M from Sant
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 01:05 

This is gorgeous :D .

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 04 Apr 2020, 22:18