Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 19:53

Post subject: Writing December - for Alison H (Complete)
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 22:36 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

It is a well-known fact that all Headmistresses keep diaries. I have - er - lifted a few of these diary entries for your entertainment, and hope you will enjoy them!

:santa:

FROM THE DIARY OF MADGE BETTANY

It is Saturday afternoon and the girls are all engrossed in their new Hobbies Club. They want to have a show and a concert at the end of next term – we shall have to see whether their enthusiasm lasts so long! In the meantime, Elise and Mollie think I am making a few last changes to The Youngest Shepherd. It’s quite extraordinary how different the lines sound when the girls are saying them aloud. However, I have worked hard enough today to earn myself a few minutes’ rest and do some writing of a different kind.

December in Tyrol is the most beautiful I have ever seen. Perhaps that is because we have been here for some months now, and I feel that Tiernsee is not only one of the loveliest places in the world but also home. Most of the Tyrolean girls take it for granted, of course, but some of the English ones are beside themselves with excitement at the sheer quantity of snow and are thoroughly enjoying every moment of it. We are having snow fights instead of hockey and skating on the lake in place of netball. I must see about getting a Christmas Tree for the School. Joey assures me that it would not be Christmas without one, and I’m inclined to agree with her. And now I must do the work I am supposed to be doing. The life of a Headmistress is far busier and more unexpected than I ever imagined it could be!

Last edited by Secret Santa on 24 Dec 2011, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Writing December - for Alison H
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 23:08 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Thank you, Santa - you've been very generous already and it's only December 1st! I feel very spoilt :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 10:27 
Playing Impertinent Questions

Sounds very interesting so far Santa. I wonder what secrets will come out in Madge's diary :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 01:00 

FROM THE DIARY OF HILDA ANNERSLEY

Snow! I can never quite decide whether it’s a blessing or a curse. It gives me a wonderful excuse to get the entire School out of the building for a few hours and to catch up on my paperwork, with which I am rarely if ever up-to-date. But it can also be a terrible nuisance, especially when the girls are cooped up inside for days at a time. Grumpiness isn’t the word for it.

For now, though, the snow has frozen well and the girls are ski-ing and tobogganing and, I hope, refraining from injuring themselves too severely. Rosalie is writing letters to parents and Gwynneth says she is taking an afternoon off, although I suspect that what she means is that she is going to do some task which she thinks of as relaxing, such as making lists of all the first aid equipment required in the next order, or tidying the linen cupboards. And I must decide which of the twenty-three jobs in my ‘very urgent’ pile is the most urgent. A Headmistress’ work is never done.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 09:21 

I sympathise over the very urgent pile, but I love the idea of Hilda shooing everyone outside so she can get on with her work in peace!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 22:24 

FROM THE DIARY OF NELL WILSON

Just got off the phone to Joey. Not entirely sure what's going on, but it seems to have involved a large bag of flour, an indeterminate number of children and a lot of screaming. Still, will probably hear all about it soon.

Right, what else has been happening? Girls all pretty sensible. Went out ski-ing but no-one got injured (thank god am not still at Chalet, would probably have killed myself or someone else by now). We’ve just had songs sent through for carol concert. Adeste Fideles again.

Bugger this diary lark. How are you supposed to find something to write every single day? It’s all Hilda’s fault, for betting I couldn’t keep one for an entire month. Oh well, should get a nice bottle of wine out of it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 23:25 

Thank you, Santa :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 22:48 

FROM THE DIARY OF MADGE RUSSELL

Oh, what a day! I must have been mad to have thought starting a school was a good idea. It began with two of the Juniors having a stand-up fight in their common room this morning, and the rest of the little dears, instead of fetching someone or even trying to split them up, simply stood there cheering them on. However, I’m certain that they fully regret it now, as it seems that Mollie dealt with them very faithfully. At lunch someone overturned one of the water pitchers so that four of the girls had to change their frocks and two baskets of bread rolls were thrown away. And finally, this evening I discovered Bernhilda, of all people, in floods of tears over some Prep and it took three people and nearly an hour to sort her out.

All this wouldn’t have been so bad, if I hadn’t woken up to find the kitchen in uproar and half the maids threatening to give notice. It seems that a gang of the Middles took an illicit trip into the garden at one o’clock last night. They explained to me afterwards that they wanted to see the snow by moonlight, although why they couldn’t have done so from the dormitory windows I can’t imagine. Anyhow, they wandered all over the garden and came back in through the kitchen, with the result that I was summoned at seven o’clock this morning to inspect the ghastly – there’s no other word for it – mess they had made. Snow, which had melted, and mud, which had hardened, not to mention a generous sprinkling of foliage from heaven knows where. I did consider making the girls clear it up themselves, but unfortunately the idea turned out to impractical, since the kitchen had to be used to make breakfast. Still, they will be cleaning three of the dormitories for the next week, and I sincerely hope it teaches them a lesson!

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Oh poor Madge! I think we all have days like that. Thank you - this is lovely :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 14:31 

Poor Madge lol. Thanks Santa :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 22:40 

A few years ago Joey went through a phase of starting all her sentences with ‘well’. A deplorable habit when used to excess, but on occasion the only thing to do.

Well.

I think Kathie has left feeling a little more cheerful than she did when she arrived, although it would have been a minor miracle if she had been less cheerful. It seems that this year’s Christmas Play is not going quite as well as she had hoped, and she is seriously considering giving it all up and becoming a hairdresser instead. She won’t, of course; she loves it far too much. A few years ago I suggested that perhaps someone else could take it on and give her a rest, as she always finds it such hard work, and I thought I’d have to call Gwynneth in to calm her down!

The problem, in a nutshell, is that one of the scenes – Kathie did tell me which, but I’ve forgotten – is sounding more like a farce than a thoughtful interlude. Herod looks like a child that has lost its favourite toy, and none of the three wise men appear capable of remembering more of their lines than ‘a star! a star!’.

Still, this happens every year and I have no doubt that the result will be as good this year as it always has been.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 22:42 

:lol: Poor Kathie.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 22:58 

FROM THE DIARY OF NELL WILSON

Samichlaus today, which is the Swiss way of saying St Nicholas’ Day. Far more interesting than any of our rather dull English Christmas traditions, although I believe it isn’t originally related to Christmas. Anyhow, old St. Nick, who is a proper bishop, not a fat, jolly old fellow as we have for Santa Claus (although he is generally quite old and fairly jolly) comes around with a donkey all loaded up with great panniers full of tangerines and peanuts, which he gives out to the good children. With him is Schmutzli, who started out being a sort of Dark Side to St. Nicholas. He’s all in black with his face hidden (that’s what his name means, in fact), and traditionally he’s supposed to dish out punishments to the kids who weren’t so good over the year. Really, though, he’s a bit of an old softy and just comes along to help Samichlaus give out the presents. All jolly good fun, although you have to be careful if you want to make it into a party, because people can end up on the tops of cupboards.

Hah! Nearly a week into December and I’m still keeping this damned diary. Take that, Hilda Annersley!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 15:01 

I don't eat peanuts but the oranges sound nice :D !

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 00:39 

Apologies for not posting yesterday. I was, unfortunately, a little stretched!

:santa:

FROM THE DIARY OF MADGE BETTANY

A really excellent day. The seniors are getting on tremendously well with Hamlet - even the Tyrolean girls, who naturally find the language something of a challenge. But Bette found a rather nice little pun today without my drawing attention to it even subtly, and once she had explained it to the others they appreciated it too. I do sometimes wonder whether Shakespeare isn’t a little too advanced for them. But, after all, their parents did send them to me, at least in part, because of the English education they would receive. And the dear girls are so enthusiastic about it and work so hard, I truly believe they would be disappointed if I gave up teaching Shakespeare.

In the meantime, two of the Middles have come down with streaming colds, which is not surprising at this time of year, although I hold out hope that they will not spread to any of the other girls. Matron is keeping them isolated in the Sanatorium and we are keeping an eagle eye on everyone else. The last thing I want just now is a school full of sneezes and sniffles!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:18 

Thank you, Santa. It's OK: I'd be worried if you and the elves weren't stretched at this time of year :lol: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 23:06 

I am about to go to bed and take absolutely no notice of what anyone else is doing. I suspect the bad weather is getting the better of the staff; it has been snowing heavily for the last three days, making it quite impossible for anyone to leave the house. This has led to an outburst of what, if I were feeling generous, I might call high spirits, but as I am not, I can only call Middleishness. Dear me, how irritable I sound.

It began with Peggy Burnett – not, I suppose, a surprise – purloining everyone’s sponges from their rooms last night and stringing them up in a banner across the Sanatorium doorway, much to Gwynneth’s surprise this morning when she discovered them. Kathie and Sharlie retaliated swiftly by creating a startlingly realistic effigy of Peggy and putting it at her desk in the Staff Room. I believe their original idea was to carry it down to Mittagessen before she arrived, but Rosalind Moore heard of the plan and talked them out of it. Most fortunate, or I should have been obliged to be Headmistressly. As it is, I have so far been turning a very successful blind eye.

So now I shall turn over and go to sleep, ignoring all screams, yells and other suspicious sounds that emanate from the Staff quarters.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 23:33 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 23:56 

I like that :lol: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 18:11 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Great to hear about what the naughty staff have been up to :lol: ! Thanks, Santa.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 19:53