Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 20:45

Post subject: Re: Writing December - for Alison H
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 18:48 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

FROM THE DIARY OF NELL WILSON

The good news is that the damned snow has stopped. At last. The bad news is that it’s so soft and slushy that if anyone actually went out in it they would probably sink up to their heads. This is creating a certain amount of frustration, but I am happy to hear that my girls are being rather more mature about it than the staff at the Chalet. Hilda tells me that she had to look at Peggy Burnett quite sternly this morning. I should have liked to have seen that.

The really annoying thing about the weather is that we aren’t able to consult the School about the carol concert or to rehearse with them. On the other hand, if I play my cards right I might be able to work it out so that we ‘accidentally’ end up not having practised Adeste Fideles at all (I’m only joking, Hilda, when you read this).

Also, we are running out of chocolate. We were obliged to hold an emergency meeting of staff and girls to work out how much we had left, and it turned out that although the staff had eaten most of theirs, the girls had fairly decent supplies. They made us buy it from them, but it was worth it. I just hope the snow freezes soon or we may have a serious crisis.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 19:09 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Thank you, Santa.

No chocolate left :shock: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 03:58 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

Quote:
Hilda tells me that she had to look at Peggy Burnett quite sternly this morning.
:lol:

Thank you, Alison's Santa. I find staff antics especially amusing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 11:40 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Oh I love the idea of the staff having to tout for chocolate!

Thank you Santa :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 11:57 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

I've just found this - wonderful!! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 22:52 

FROM THE DIARY OF MADGE BETTANY

I think we must admit that our efforts to stop the cold’s progress have been marked only by a significant lack of success. Four more are down with it today, making eleven in all. Soon we’ll have to commandeer one of the dormitories. In the meantime, we are taking care to keep Joey well away from anyone who is likely to pass it on to her – which is most people – as I do not want to have to cope with a serious illness for her just now. Robin, too, as she is so very young.

Doctor Jem heard through some roundabout route – I think when he was collecting the post – that some of the girls were suffering. He very kindly called in this morning to see whether there was anything he could do to help. Of course, Matron Wilson is perfectly capable of taking care of any number of cold patients herself, and he knows it, but it was still sweet of him to ask. I had to give him Kaffee und Kuchen, of course. We had a very pleasant talk and he left just before lunch. He has left his cigarette case behind, though, so I expect he will come back to collect it soon.

All in all, despite the epidemic of colds, it has been quite a good day.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 23:18 

:lol: at Jem.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 10:16 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Lucky Alison, what a super drabble. I love the various styles employed by the different diarists - very clever, Santa :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 22:37 

FROM THE DIARY OF HILDA ANNERSLEY

It is still snowing, but the Staff have been distracted from their various pranks by yet another crisis in the Christmas Play. If they hadn’t, I’d definitely have had to do something. It’s one thing to put effigies in the Staff Room, but it’s quite another when they start singing rude songs about one another during the Staff party. Luckily I don’t think any of the girls understood the rude words. Or the innuendos. Actually, I wish I hadn’t understood some of the innuendos, especially the ones about Gwynneth.

Anyhow, it seems that Mary and Joseph have both dropped out of the Christmas Play, Mary because she fell down the stairs and cracked her head open against the banisters – she’s quite all right, just with a bloody scar and a beautiful rainbow bruise across half her face – and Joseph because she has had a sudden terrible realisation about her acting ability. Kathie Ferrars and I took deep breaths and prepared to give her an hour’s worth of praise and encouragement, only to discover, after ten minutes or so, that her problem was not so much that she didn’t think she could play the part as that she thought it might be beneath her. She wants to be the Innkeeper instead, because she thinks it will stretch her more. The reason for this, as Kathie and I refrained from pointing out, is that the Innkeeper is a humorous part, and not only does she absolutely detest being laughed at in any way, but her comedic timing is – well, I’m not sure she even understands the phrase. We are hoping we can persuade her to do us a great favour and perform. Otherwise, heaven knows what we shall do!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 22:59 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

I'm enjoying this, Santa - lucky Alison :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 23:50 

Thank you, Santa :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 23:56 

The girls have been skiing and tobogganing almost without stopping for the last two days. I excuse it by explaining how good skiing is for the posture and how much they need the exercise after being cooped up for nearly a week without much physical activity. Really, though, it’s because no matter how mature and grown-up they are, spending that long in the company of a fairly limited range of people without being able to go outside at all is enough to make anyone grumpy. Also, it was beginning to make me feel a bit mad. You have no idea how good it is to have the place to myself for a while! And don’t frown when you read this, Hilda – I know perfectly well that you feel the same way!

Back to lessons tomorrow, however, and I’m quite sure they’re all prepared to work extra hard, at least for the few days until the end of term comes. And oh, what a blessing that will be! I love my job, but there are times when I sincerely wish that I never need see a teenager’s face again. There’s just the Carol Concert to get through before that, and we haven’t rehearsed Adeste Fideles at all. Such a shame.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 23:59 

:lol: I can genuinely imagine Nell writing that!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 23:08 

FROM THE DIARY OF MADGE BETTANY

Oh, what a perfect pig I am! We gave a little Christmas party for the girls, and Marie and Anna and everyone in the kitchen turned out an absolute feast of traditional cakes, biscuits and other goodies. I ate nine of something mouth-wateringly delicious in a crescent shape, five lebkuchen and six (or possibly seven) divine buttery things, as well as between one and three each of everything else that was on offer.

I might add that I did not count all this myself. Robin gave me the list half an hour ago as I was tucking her up for bed. I had a charming Tyrolean Christmas story all ready to tell her, one which Joey dug up from somewhere (probably Bernhilda, who seems to be a veritable mine of such stories), but Robin was interested only in the astounding quantities of food that I had managed to consume. I think she was torn between horror and delight, and a little bit of triumph that she had not been so greedy.

In any case, it helps to explain why I am now feeling slightly queasy.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 23:18 

I'm being spoilt with these daily updates :D .

Thank you, Santa.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 22:34 

FROM THE DIARY OF HILDA ANNERSLEY

An emergency meeting with all the staff involved with the Christmas Play (which is most of them) late last night has finally resulted in success, and Joseph has returned to the Play – fortunately, since it’s due to be performed in a few days’ time!

Sharlie Andrews asked the form to work in groups this morning and was able to congratulate young Joseph on her extraordinary generosity. Miss Denny added to the effect by accidentally (at any rate it looked beautifully accidental) walking in as the girls were clearing away after Kaffee, and remarking quite loudly to Rosalind Moore what a very helpful girl Joseph was, and just after that she seems to have overheard Matron telling someone else about her penchant for responsibility. Kathie took her aside a little later and talked to her in a very adult, mature, fashion about how much she needed her in the Play and how much better the Play would be if she agreed to do them a huge favour and play the part of Joseph. Of course, she agreed. Who wouldn’t after all of that?

And I can see from my window that the snow has finally stopped, which means that the girls will be able to go outside and let off some steam tomorrow. Not to mention the Staff – Nancy and Peggy between them nearly set the Staff Room on fire last night, which was an experience I would rather not see repeated.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 01:04 

Thank you, Santa :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 17:18 
Still bored
Still bored

I'm thoroughly enjoying these diary entries, Santa. Thank you. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 22:35 

The carol concert is finally over. The good: everyone remembered most of the words to all of the carols. The not so good: A small but noisy minority seemed to have forgotten some of the tunes. Luckily Rosalie sneaked up and nailed Tristan Denny’s feet to the floor and taped his mouth shut so that he couldn’t interrupt. Well, not precisely, perhaps, but she did hiss a number of intriguing (and physically challenging, if not impossible) threats into his ear, which she swore she would carry out if he dared say a single word. I almost wish he had. I’d no idea Rosalie had such an imagination on her.

Anyhow, I don’t think most of the audience members actually noticed, apart from the extra musical ones, and we were able to carry them out fairly easily and revive them outside. And we even took quite a decent collection for the free beds at the San. Actually, quite a few people said they enjoyed it, although on the whole I think the Staff drinks afterwards were better.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 12:17 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

I love reading all the diaries but especially Nell's. I wonder what threats Rosalie whispered to Mr Denny :D

Thank you Santa

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 20:45