Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 22:01

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drabble Subject Discussions. To Post or not to Post?
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 23:40 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

abbeybufo wrote:
cestina wrote:
But abbey, I have found that the favouriting on the SDL is not foolproof....

No, it isn't foolproof anywhere, but it's straightforward to click on the 'Most Recent' tab there and check if there's anything you haven't seen. Or in LGM to look at unread posts. I believe LGM is due for an upgrade, so maybe it will be easier on your eyes thereafter.

Adding my thanks to Beecharmer for having done this - after several years of doing links in the weekly digest, and being very thankful when that stopped, I appreciate how much hard work it is.

Yes my thanks too....

The Most Recent tab only covers a very few posts so I guess I will just have to remember to go more often.

And from what Janet is saying, for some eyes the background on LGM is good.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 23:46 
Asked to help with the play

Yes I appreciated all the work that used to be done with the updates before, but even more so once doing it ! Thanks :-)

There might be enough authors who will add their updates as they happen to still make up a useful list - see what happens eh !

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 00:09 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

The recent updates page on the SDL covers the past 7 days so if you visit weekly you'll catch every update.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 15:55 

Waaaaaaa! :bawling: :bawling:

I've just written a sentence in my For the Best drabble, then got distracted. On coming back, I have

"The discovery of"

And no clue what was being discovered, by who(m), and what I had planned to write AT ALL.

*despairs of short term memory*

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 18:01 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

I sympathise! I've done that a few times... I'll also get stuck while writing, so I'll go and walk around the garden, taking a break. While I'm there, I'll write the perfect sentence in my head - and come running back to the computer, only to discover I've already forgotten it!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 23:20 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

The reason I have written so many drabbles is that if I don't post a drabble, I'll forget it. I once spent an entire day searching my memory for a drabble which I had planned to write. All I remembered is that it was quite an old plot bunny from before I signed up. I would remember it for a few minutes every now and then, but as I was digging for my phone under my pillow to write it down, or waiting for the Internet to load up, or even clicking the 'Add New Story' button (aaaargh!), I would forget it. I eventually pinned it down, though.

Here it is.

Sorry, that was me groping for reads.

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 22:21 
Annoying your friends
Annoying your friends

I'm afraid I have no idea how to link to a new post in SDL or LGM even if I wanted to. :bawling:

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 22:26 

It's actually not too bad, the bit that I find faffy is the making links pretty bit, but there's no need necessarily to do that, as SDL story links are quite tidy.

Go to your story / profile page on sdl

Copy the web address that usually shows in the top bar on your browser.

Paste it into a post on CBB.

For example your author page is

http://www.sallydennylibrary.co.uk/viewuser.php?uid=111

And your latest update page is

http://www.sallydennylibrary.co.uk/view ... chapter=54

Similar principle applies to LGM, only obviously the person will have to log on there to get through.

If anyone has any problems with this, let me know and I'll help if I can.

Will copy these instructions to the SDL questions page too for future reference.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 05:36 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Beecharmer wrote:
It's actually not too bad, the bit that I find faffy is the making links pretty bit, but there's no need necessarily to do that, as SDL story links are quite tidy.

Try doing it in html like I recently did in a 'roundup of the year' post on Livejournal - and because prettifying 30 links wasn't fiddly enough, I decided they'd be presented in a table (tables in html are horrible!). I spent about an hour coding that... then realised that I could just have linked to the 'Masterlist of fanfic' post I have, which already had links to everything on it. :banghead: Not my brightest moment!

I'm currently doubting whether the drabble I'm working on is finished or not (not Christmas Blizzard! That one's definitely not finished :lol: This is a oneshot I haven't posted yet)... I feel like I could maybe write more, but I'm not sure if it actually needs any more or if it would just be dragging it on. But if I don't write any more I can't make up my mind if it's not ending too abruptly!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Drabble Subject Discussions.
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 11:44 

Well how about posting a bit, seeing reactions and see if that makes the decision any easier ?

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 19:09 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Thanks for the suggestion, but there's not really enough in it for two posts, it's all one scene - it's just a case of 'is the last paragraph necessary or should I throw it away?'. I think I'll try running it by my sister when she gets home and seeing what she thinks.

Out of curiosity, what length chapters do people find easiest to write/read? I find that 500 to 2000 words is my 'natural' length for writing; unless I'm specifically trying for a different length, that's where most of my stories end up, and they tend to be single-chapter works. I'm rather in awe of people who can write novel-length stories!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 19:33 

I vary. Used to be 500 to 1000 words at a time mainly, but more recently has been more like 2000 to 3000. I find I like both about equally, short one shots sometimes and then longer stories.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 23:01 

I just write one event, typed straight into the box, then I love going looking in the contents page to see how many words it is!

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 23:04 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

I use the word count of whatever word processor I'm using at the time. But then, I put everything into a word processor in the first place...

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 23:31 

Oh. I don't.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 01:04 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

I've become very fond of Google Drive as my go-to word processor for writing fanfiction - I can have everything together, organised in folders (I am very fussy about things being in folders, perhaps overly much), and I can access it from any computer! No more messing about with memory sticks - and weeping when they stop working!, or having different versions in different places and needing to be careful about which is the most recent when merging... Of course if the internet's down I'm in trouble, but that's pretty rare *touch wood I haven't jinxed it by saying that!*

This is somewhat tangentially related to this thread, but I was musing about it recently. Are there any CS fanworks that aren't fanfiction floating around? Art, podfics (audio recordings), fanmixes - anything really. I suppose I could attempt a fanmix or a reading myself (though what you'd make of my Yorkshire-Argentinian accent I don't know ;)), but I certainly couldn't tackle art - my only skills in that direction are basic computer editing, the upper limit of my drawing is probably cubes!

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 07:20 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

I've done a couple of podfix and I'd be interested in collaborating on fanmix projects if there were something you had in mind…?

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 18:15 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

You've done podfics? May I have links, please? :D
I don't have anything really in mind for a fanmix, it was more of a stream-of-conciousness thinking about what I could actually do in the non-fic-fanworks realm - but it would be fun! And you certainly know a lot more music than I do... shall we have a go at it?

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 18:28 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Let's! I will contact you in the usual fashion!

I did some podfics (which I cheerfully called 'audiodrabbles', having never heard of podfics!) a while ago, but haven't done much since. My big problem is time, at the moment, but I'd love to do more :) I did one of Abi's Augusta stories - the latest one, in which Susie turns up. I can't remember if I managed any others! I want to record some epic drabbles, including my own, but that will take time and I'm not sure I have enough spare at the moment…

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 11:00 

Ooh, I will be interested to see the results! I had no idea that there were other types of fanworks. (I doubt I'll be branching out, though!)

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 22:01