Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 29 May 2017, 06:50

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Christmas Letters 2014 The Reveal 1 Jan 2015
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 23:43 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'm not that fussed either way. Alison is my real name, and a lot of CBB and NCC people will know my surname from Facebook anyway, and the NCC journal is something that's likely to be read mainly by Chalet School fans, not the general public, anyway. However, if some people don't want their real names "out there", I'm happy to be listed by my CBB name.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 23:46 
Reserving an embroidered picture

That makes a lot of sense, for non fanfiction work, and useful to know, thank you. Since this is fanfiction and none of us can claim anything for any of it, I'd have thought it wouldn't be an issue here though for most of us.

I'd have thought it wouldn't matter which people individually choose, can't see why we would need to all be the same, as long as each person lets abbeybufo know what they want to use ?

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 00:13 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I think what I am trying to say is that you never know what will happen in the future. I was caught out by that, and I'd hate to see anyone else lose out in the same way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 11:39 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

Presumably when it comes to the actual paper publication (I'm assuming it's a paper that they'll be put in next year) we can attach our real names to it? It surely doesn't matter if the SDL has them posted under our pseudonyms for now. I can't imagine Ruth is going to run off and claim all our work as her own!

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 11:57 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

I was wondering whether to ask Joy to preface it with something like:
Quote:
These letters were originally published on the Chaletian Bulletin Board under the guise of 'Round Robin' in the run-up to Christmas 2014, with a short period for guessing who had written what, followed by the list of their authors. So they are offered here in the same spirit, with no names attaching to the individual pieces.
While some would be happy for their real names to appear, there are valid personal and professional reasons why others prefer not, so to keep faith with those, the list at the end shows only the names people use on the CBB.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 12:04 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Yes I agree with Ariel, that sounds like a very sensible solution. I am personally not bothered since a very little digging by anyone interested would reveal who Cestina is in real life (just looking at the Tom article will do it!) but I can see that others might prefer to remain anonymous.

And it's in the spirit of the thing anyway since it all started as a "Who could have written this one?" enterprise :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 12:06 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Sounds good to me, Ruth. Thank you. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 16:02 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

While I have no personal stake in this, as I didn't submit anything for the Round Robin, I have read all the comments regarding the use of names when this is published in the NCC Journal. I think Abbeybufo's suggested preface covers all bases very satisfactorily - perhaps the list of authors could be placed on another page of the journal, just to keep the guessing game going for new readers, but that might be Joy's call as editor. In any case, I'll be looking forward to receiving the journal and re-reading the whole series yet again. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 17:47 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Elder in Ontario wrote:
- perhaps the list of authors could be placed on another page of the journal, just to keep the guessing game going for new readers, but that might be Joy's call as editor. In any case,

Yes, I was going to ask her to put the list at the back of the Journal.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 11:34 

Yes that sounds sensible - if people do want their real names I'd imagine they could be there ? Rather than having to be all one or the other.

I'm really pleased with the whole thing, and know others must be too, and so I wouldn't want to spoil it for someone who wants to use their name just because I'd prefer a little anonymity. If it has to be all one or the other I'll go with the majority but would prefer the pseudynm if possible for me.

I'm sure it's possible for some CBBers to work out my real name, but I'm more concerned the other way around, particularly as it's easy for print things to end up online and searchable - I have to be a bit careful under my real and therefore professional name how I present myself and what I post online so if someone in RL makes the connection it means it mixes the two a bit closer than I'd want ideally.

Unfortunately people can be a bit odd, and I've had for example patients searching and trying to facebook friend me, which I both can't and don't want to do. They are just being nice mostly I'm sure, but I'm not taking any chances!

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 17:51 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Today I've put up Letter 20, and I can do tomorrow's and Thursdays on their days ... but I'm due to go to Eastbourne for a dance weekend on Friday so I can either do 2 a day tomorrow and Thursday, or the letters for 23rd & 24th must wait until Monday ... any preferences?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 18:02 

No preferences here other than I was going to do mine on Thursday as think thats my day? Which doesn't really help.

I'd have said monday and tuesday by choice as then it doesn't mean people missing posts as only expecting one a day also it's a little more anticipation for people before it finishes?

Let me know if it's better if I don't put my own one up on thursday, or if you want me to put it up tomorrow instead etc if you go with the double option. Enjoy your dance weekend either way!

And while I'm here I'll apologise in advance to all the letter authors as I'm planning on reading and reviewing all in a big lump as I missed quite a few on both original posting and then these reposts. So when you all get 23 notifications in a row and swear at me, sorry!

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 18:27 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Fine by me - I'll note you are doing your own on Thurs - one less thing for me to think about! - and then do the last 2 on Mon & Tues, unless Finn and Elle would like to put up their own on Fri and Sat respectively - or over the weekend?

ETA please remember to change the date at the top of the LGM post to whichever day you are doing, if you're posting your own, and in SDL please head the chapter 'Letter from ...' [whoever it is each of you is doing instead of Chapter whatever-it-offers.]

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 15:48 

Done - I couldn't change the title to day 22 on LGM though other than on my own post.

Hope you are having a lovely dance weekend !

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 17:55 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

No, not to worry, I've just done that.

Not sure now that I'll get to Eastbourne. I've been poorly for a couple of days, although I am feeling better and was intending to go anyway even if I didn't dance as much a usual, but SLOC has just spent the morning at the hospital having various tests - which didn't show up anything he didn't already know about, but one of the procedures has caused a reaction [it is a known one, listed in the letter he brought home] - high temp. and shivering - which makes us wonder if he'll be well enough to be left ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 18:55 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Oh, no!

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 20:27 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Sounds like you've had a miserable few days, Ruth. I hope you get to go away.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 23:42 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Oh Ruth that's sad. Crossing fingers for both of you...

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 09:25 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Weekend definitely off - am about to try for GP visit

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 09:47 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Oh bah....hope you can get one quickly. Many positive thoughts for both of you.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 29 May 2017, 06:50